JR

Site Slowness

I think this is like on INDEPENDENCE DAY, when the aliens used our own satellites against us, and there was a periodic bit of interference to TV signals. Only this time, the aliens are using our own SERVERS against us and we are getting periodic blank screens!! Check out this theory just to be sure we aren’t about to undergo an alien invasion. I couldn’t handle it if that invasion disrupted the Tigers season.

I'm telling you - it's the aliens - and now they have us fighting amongst ourselves! Where's Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum when you need them?

The BaseballAddicted.com site was a test run for what I envisioned using here someday, although the message board software used at BA is different. We'll continue to use the vBulletin software here, but the website porition will be more like what is currently at BaseballAddicted.com (although the look and style will be different).

I think that would be awesome! I think we've talked about that before but I've always though something liek that would be great for this place. As always, I'd love to help out with graphics and so forth if you need anything.

When I got back on about 9:35PM or so, it was working fine. But when the site started getting towards 100 users - the blank pages started again.

This site is housing a TON of data - I mean - some users have 30,000 plus posts - and they are all saved. That's a ton of space.

I agree, if something has to go, dump the arcade.

The site crashed because The Strategy Expert finally revealed his new stat and everyone logged on at the same time to see it.

The site crashed because The Strategy Expert finally revealed his new stat and everyone logged on at the same time to see it.

Very nice.

When I got back on about 9:35PM or so, it was working fine. But when the site started getting towards 100 users - the blank pages started again.

This site is housing a TON of data - I mean - some users have 30,000 plus posts - and they are all saved. That's a ton of space.

I agree, if something has to go, dump the arcade.

Only the last 1000 posts are searchable, though.

Just read through all of this mess from the last several hours, and I guess I don't see where we are paying for services. Yes, those who pay are given a few extra privileges, but this site is free to all. If MWG were making all kinds of money off this site and us, why would he have a job other than this? If he wanted to make money off this site, there are enough of us addicted to Motownsports, he could just charge everyone a yearly fee. He started up the VIP thing to encourage donations. They are donations--not fees.

Just read through all of this mess from the last several hours, and I guess I don't see where we are paying for services. Yes, those who pay are given a few extra privileges, but this site is free to all. If MWG were making all kinds of money off this site and us, why would he have a job other than this? If he wanted to make money off this site, there are enough of us addicted to Motownsports, he could just charge everyone a yearly fee. He started up the VIP thing to encourage donations. They are donations--not fees.

I can sort of see both sides of the "What my VIP money should be considered" debate.

When I gave the money I did, I did view it as a donation. A donation which would help Motownsports.com maintain a certain level of quality and functionality. That level of quality and functionality could be maintained by keeping things as they currently are, or by making any sort of changes that were saw as fit.

When giving the money, did I then feel like MWG owed me anything 'extra'? No, not really. The only thing I hoped for, was that my money would help keep this website running in tip-top shape, for many different people to enjoy.

And you know what, MWG, you've done a very good job of that. Yes, the recent meltdowns over these past few days have gotten a little frustrating, but I think they are something that weren't really foreseen as being a problem that would occur so quickly and with such devastation. I know you've been diligent in trying to react to the problem in a way you see fit, and I know that in due time this will all get ironed out.

Conversing with another member has made me wonder if perhaps some of the overload issues are being caused in part by massive amounts of spambot traffic.

There's a (very) small forum that I've been admin of for a couple of years, and we get POUNDED by spambots. On average there will be between 100 and 150 spambot account sign-ups per DAY, and even though those accounts don't get approved, they still are all able to go through the boards like any lurker could. Given everything with the Tigers, I'm sure Motownsports.com shows up early and often on whatever type of keyword search the spambots use to find boards, making the site a very ripe target for them.

Get all those extra 'lurkers' on the site, and that's going to cause a big strain on the servers.

The move to a newer server last night did not resolve the current issues with the board, but actually were made worse due to insufficient disk space available. This evening we were moved back to our previous server for the time being.

This afternoon I purchased a dedicated server and soon this site will be hosted on a much more powerful server with tons of resources available just for us. This server could be ready as soon as tomorrow and migration to it will take place ASAP. Since this will be a major shift in our hosting, DNS changes will be taking place which will reslt in more downtime. My hosting company is taking steps to minimize this as much as possible.

Hopefully after this move these problems will be resolved.