JR

Site Slowness

It's a quote from "Caddyshack" that I use when I read a good butchering of the English language! :happy:

Considering I have around 11K posts, how has this reaction never been attached to one of my posts?

I think we are talking about one PM in particular that seems to have been shared. .

Go re-read the first page. The first post in the thread is a perfect example of how to handle the situation. A few others following that haven't.

It's a quote from "Caddyshack" that I use when I read a good butchering of the English language! :happy:

I got the joke, FWIW, I was going to reply with another Caddyshack quote, but now that you've explained it, it just wouldnt be funny anymore.

Go re-read the first page. The first post in the thread is a perfect example of how to handle the situation. A few others following that haven't.

I thought post #10 was a great follow-up personally.

Biff, perhaps we are actually talking about different instances of unhappiness in regards to this issue - but I don't think we are. Like I said, sometimes it is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

That is an incorrect analogy - but I don't want to get into it. If my email is not working, I can complain to GMail and I expect them to fix the problem. People who don't contribute add a lot to this site and have the right to make those who run the site aware of how the service is performing. You can choose to listen or not.

Your analogy is even worse, but of course you "don't want to get into it". The difference is that gmail is a product put out there by a public company with one of the biggest market sizes in the world. It's a "for profit" enterprise. It's a business. This is a fan website put up as a hobby to enable others to enjoy that hobby. It's administered and supported in the private time of the site owner. It's not being done to make anybody money so they can buy things for themselves. It doesn't cost you anything to use.

There's a nice way and a rude way to point out the performance isn't what it's expected to be in a situation like this. If people want to be rude that's their prerogative but they have to understand what it makes them look like. If they're ok with that then so be it. That's my only point.

Tact is the ability to remind the administrator, who is obviously blatantly aware of the site problems, that as a financial contributor to the site you are disappointed with the performance of late and are thusly inquiring as to what is being done to remedy the situation.

Other people choose to impose threats of storming off and/or telling anyone with eyes to read how much this place sucks.

You choose which direction is the proper modus operandi.

First off, thanks to MWG for upgrading the hosting arrangements - it is appreciated.

Now, I was one of those who expressed my displeasure with MWG, and I did so in a direct yet attempted respectful manner. I think if donations are going to be requested then a certain standard should be met, and lately it has not been. I think many people here are afraid to complain about site performance, since many mods here seem to be sensitive to it, and since I am - in essence - a "paying customer" resulting from my VIP membership, I felt I could legitimately make these points to MWG.

Anyways, I have stuck up for MWG in other threads complaining about site performance in the past, so I think I've shown that I do support what he does for this site. The fact that these site problems have been happening for so long coupled with the VIP requests is what prompted me to decide to speak out. I knew my PMs to MWG would ruffle some feathers, but I stick by what I said, and I apologize if I have offended anyone.

-JK

Your analogy is even worse, but of course you "don't want to get into it".

Looks like we got into it. Thanks

The difference is that gmail is a product put out there by a public company with one of the biggest market sizes in the world. It's a "for profit" enterprise. It's a business. This is a fan website put up as a hobby to enable others to enjoy that hobby. It's administered and supported in the private time of the site owner. It's not being done to make anybody money so they can buy things for themselves. It doesn't cost you anything to use.

MWG makes NO profit from this website whatsoever? GMail is also free to me. I bet GMail would miss me about as much as you guys would miss me (which is not at all). If this is truly a hobby done by MWG in his spare time then my perception of this site is very different. It was my understanding (and I know I am not alone in this) that this was a business venture by MWG.

Motownsports is to the Michigan Sports Information World as Google is to the internet. Yeah, different market sizes, but it is an apt comparison. Given that this site continues to atrract new users on a daily basis then adjustments must be made to ensure service to ALL of its users.

Once again, if this is "just a hobby" by MWG and not a "for profit" venture - then my perception will change.

There's a nice way and a rude way to point out the performance isn't what it's expected to be in a situation like this. If people want to be rude that's their prerogative but they have to understand what it makes them look like. If they're ok with that then so be it. That's my only point.

I am not meaning to come across as rude in my discussions with MWG, Biff, or yourself. I am simply defending a percieved attack upon some people that I am very close friends with. As is so often said "two wrongs do not make a right". Granted, I very rarely buy into that - but since it fits here, I am using it.

BTW - in my user cp it says that Oblong made the last post at 10:05 - but twe posts followed that (and yes I hit refresh).

Just wanted to make people aware.

EDIT - Now is shows up that this post was the last, but I am still having some issue with pages loading.

I am still having challenges this morning both at home and now at work.

Guess that means I have to pay attention to the students today.

Lets go build robots!

How is that a change for you?

Not to be an internet bully - but back off of Euph and everyone else who feels that their VIP membership was "bought" or that their donations meant something other than "hey, we love the site, lets all hold hands". Some of you obviously see it one way, other view it differently.

I am not going to "complain" about the service on the site as I have not paid (and as I understand it from some people, that doesn't allow me the privilege of complaining). I will keep my compliants to being a thread cop and just a general hater of stupidty. If I notice any techincal problems with the site, I will post them here as does everyone else.

Nice.

I was joking. But, shoot away TigerCub33. Shoot away.

This is what happens when something is no longer just free. They (we) are paying for additional services now. This isn't like the old days. The site has changed. There was a lot of foreshadowing that lead up to this and I think we all had a feeling that this would happen sooner or later. It shouldn't be a shock that people would be upset about it. I agree 100% that they should NOT be getting rude about it, but at the same time I think it's incorrect to act like they don't have a right to say anything (water, Pizza Hut).

For once I can't honestly say I agree with either side because I think they've both taken it a little far.

This is what happens when something is no longer just free. They (we) are paying for additional services now. This isn't like the old days. The site has changed. There was a lot of foreshadowing that lead up to this and I think we all had a feeling that this would happen sooner or later. It shouldn't be a shock that people would be upset about it. I agree 100% that they should NOT be getting rude about it, but at the same time I think it's incorrect to act like they don't have a right to say anything (water, Pizza Hut).

For once I can't honestly say I agree with either side because I think they've both taken it a little far.

My analogy was directed towards Tigercub's analogy involving gmail and the fact that he stated he hasn't paid for anything.

I view the VIP thing as a tip jar. If you tip a guy playing guitar on a street corner and then request that he plays a song, will you complain to him because he didn't play it right?

I view the VIP thing as a tip jar. If you tip a guy playing guitar on a street corner and then request that he plays a song, will you complain to him because he didn't play it right?

Why? Isn't that what the site contributions were? This is directly paying for a particular service(s). You can view it as a tip and I've always been strongly in favor of tipping MWG, but that isn't really what the VIP memberships are.

Anyhow, I don't want this becoming a headache for MWG. Let's all just have a little patience and things will be running fine again eventually. Until then, ride a bike or read a book or something.

Anyhow, I don't want this becoming a headache for MWG. Let's all just have a little patience and things will be running fine again eventually. Until then, ride a bike or read a book or something.
Have no fear, it's already a headache and will continue to be until it's fixed...
I am still having challenges this morning both at home and now at work.
I'm still having problems with the site as well, so it appears the move to a newer server did not resolve the issues.

At this point I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade the message board to the latest version and blow up the remainder of the website. This is actually something that has been on my mind for several months now and this might be the time to do it.

Right now the website is a software portal system that was designed to work with the message board software. Because of this system, it is very difficult for me to administer and upgrade the site and message board. I'd like to remove all of that and build a new website that is a seperate piece from the MB. That will allow me to more easily administer the message board and makes changes/upgrades to it as needed.

The BaseballAddicted.com site was a test run for what I envisioned using here someday, although the message board software used at BA is different. We'll continue to use the vBulletin software here, but the website porition will be more like what is currently at BaseballAddicted.com (although the look and style will be different).

I think VIP members have a right to be annoyed when the site slows down, but I also think a couple of members have taken that right to include being rude, which really isn't necessary. In the end, it's just you being rude.