JR

Site Slowness

Currently running better with intermittent instances of the weird error messages.

have you thought about tweaking the design a little? i understand you need the adverts but half the time they are the only thing that loads and they are usaully animated which i'm sure causes slowdowns to be even worse.

edit: oops that doesnt really make sense. oh well.

have you thought about tweaking the design a little? i understand you need the adverts but half the time they are the only thing that loads and they are usaully animated which i'm sure causes slowdowns to be even worse.
Yes, I've considered tweaking the design of the message board and the whole site overall. This may happen soon.

However, the adverts currently running on the site are not the cause of the recent problems. As you mentioned, they typically load without issue. In the past I've had some issues with the advertising, but that was because I was trying to run them through my own software, which was creating more demands on the server. All the adverts running on the site now are hosted and loaded through servers owned and operated by the ad networks I'm using.

i am also running into an error message when i am able to post. it tells me that i need to wait 45 seconds until posting, even though i have only submitted the 1 post. the post usually goes up fine, despite the error message, but this might be indicative of a deeper problem...

I find that it's better to use the "Post Reply" button instead of the "quick reply".

FYI... The site will be shutting down for a period of time tonight to migrate to a new server.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I took off tommorow, so i could specifically post dumb, pointless, useless threads. I want my VIP donation back, dumb site.....

:)

hey we're back already? no more crashes when the tigers are putting up 10 in an inning! and that will be happening more and more frequently in 2008 so great timing.

I find that it's better to use the "Post Reply" button instead of the "quick reply".
The "quick reply" does tend to post slower. And I'm a button-banger, often clicking the "post" button twice will trip the "45 second" message.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I took off tommorow, so i could specifically post dumb, pointless, useless threads. I want my VIP donation back, dumb site.....

How is that a change for you?

Not to be an internet bully - but back off of Euph and everyone else who feels that their VIP membership was "bought" or that their donations meant something other than "hey, we love the site, lets all hold hands". Some of you obviously see it one way, other view it differently.

I am not going to "complain" about the service on the site as I have not paid (and as I understand it from some people, that doesn't allow me the privilege of complaining). I will keep my compliants to being a thread cop and just a general hater of stupidty. If I notice any techincal problems with the site, I will post them here as does everyone else.

Not to be an internet bully - but back off of Euph and everyone else who feels that their VIP membership was "bought" or that their donations meant something other than "hey, we love the site, lets all hold hands". Some of you obviously see it one way, other view it differently.

Tact is the ability to remind the administrator, who is obviously blatantly aware of the site problems, that as a financial contributor to the site you are disappointed with the performance of late and are thusly inquiring as to what is being done to remedy the situation.

Other people choose to impose threats of storming off and/or telling anyone with eyes to read how much this place sucks.

You choose which direction is the proper modus operandi.

Other people choose to impose threats of storming off and/or telling anyone with eyes to read how much this place sucks.

Has anyone does this?

How is that a change for you?

I am not going to "complain" about the service on the site as I have not paid (and as I understand it from some people, that doesn't allow me the privilege of complaining). I will keep my compliants to being a thread cop and just a general hater of stupidty. If I notice any techincal problems with the site, I will post them here as does everyone else.

Yes you can complain but that would make you a person complaining about "service" which doesn't really cost anything so people are free to draw their own conclusions about people who do such things.

You know, sort of like walking into a Pizza Hut and asking for a cup of water, then complaining that it's not cold enough.

Still getting a few blank screens here and there, but nowhere near as many as yesterday prior to when the site was taken down. Seems to be better today and moving in the right direction.

Tact is the ability to remind the administrator, who is obviously blatantly aware of the site problems, that as a financial contributor to the site you are disappointed with the performance of late and are thusly inquiring as to what is being done to remedy the situation.

I cannot speak for all, but I knwo that was done by some.

If you are referring to me - my post in this thread regarding my ability to see the site was purely joking (although I am still have some issues posting and viewing). As for "how much this place sucks" if someone truly felt that this place sucked - I am sure they would leave.

You choose which direction is the proper modus operandi.

It isn't my choice - I don't contribute. However, I am going to stick up for my friends when I feel they are being attacked (and in this case I felt they were). I see that as extremely fair given how everyone else seems to stand up for their friends here.

Yes you can complain but that would make you a person complaining about "service" which doesn't really cost anything so people are free to draw their own conclusions about people who do such things.

You know, sort of like walking into a Pizza Hut and asking for a cup of water, then complaining that it's not cold enough.

That is an incorrect analogy - but I don't want to get into it. If my email is not working, I can complain to GMail and I expect them to fix the problem. People who don't contribute add a lot to this site and have the right to make those who run the site aware of how the service is performing. You can choose to listen or not.

I am going to stick up for my friends when I feel they are being attacked (and in this case I felt they were). I see that as extremely fair given how everyone else seems to stand up for their friends here.

Sometimes everyone's friends are rude, boorish, and impatient.

That is an incorrect analogy - but I don't want to get into it. If my email is not working, I can complain to GMail and I expect them to fix the problem. People who don't contribute add a lot to this site and have the right to make those who run the site aware of how the service is performing. You can choose to listen or not.

If you're G-mail isn't working do you wait a few months, stew about it, and then send a rude e-mail or do you send a friendly notice that something seems amiss with your e-mail account?

Sometimes everyone's friends are rude, boorish, and impatient.

Yup, I am sure mine, as well as yours, can be that way. They are my friends none the less and I will continue to stick up for them.

If you're G-mail isn't working do you wait a few months, stew about it, and then send a rude e-mail or do you send a friendly notice that something seems amiss with your e-mail account?

I think we are talking about one PM in particular that seems to have been shared. From my understanding, things like this were discussed previously (but I could be mistaken). This is not a new problem though. It is akin to being the straw that broke the camel's back. I am sure you can understand that and have been in similar situations before.

EDIT: Also, if my GMail wasn't working, I honestly would have no idea how to get in contact with them - I do appreciate that there is a mechanisim in place to deal with site issues (of a technical and service nature) here.

I think this is like on INDEPENDENCE DAY, when the aliens used our own satellites against us, and there was a periodic bit of interference to TV signals. Only this time, the aliens are using our own SERVERS against us and we are getting periodic blank screens!! Check out this theory just to be sure we aren’t about to undergo an alien invasion. I couldn’t handle it if that invasion disrupted the Tigers season.