syrett4

Thread Police Back Down, Its Not Your Site

Leaving it up to the mods, and reporting the dupe thread via the report feature is a great solution. Making people feel like morons, especially in a public forum, will cause them post less, and I don't believe that its in the best interest of this site.

Said very well, that's what needs to be passed around to everyone.

Well then I apologize for making anyone feel like a moron. I still feel that searching before creating a new thread is the responsible thing to do, but I never meant to insult anyone by posting a link to another thread.

Well then I apologize for making anyone feel like a moron. I still feel that searching before creating a new thread is the responsible thing to do, but I never meant to insult anyone by posting a link to another thread.

Hey, thats why I brought it up. No harm done. FYI it wasn't me personally, just something I wanted to address. I would also agree that searching, even just a little, before posting a new thread on a topic is the right thing to do. I guess I'm one of those that like concise topics and didn't see an issue with most (you were right on a couple of them) of the M QB threads I discussed in my original post.

That seems reasonable. Though that doesn't bother me us much as someone getting scolded just for posting a link to a duplicate thread. I think both sides are probably getting a bit over-sensitive. Your sollution would probably help both sides.

Stop posting links to pre-existing threads.

Thanks - the Thread Police

;)

IMHO, the search function is limited, because sometimes the thread titles are not descriptive enough to get a search hit. And if you search the entire posts, you might get a bazillion hits.

Sagnam has a good point, that you should at least make the attempt to avoid a duplicate thread. And we have a few here, mostly newbies, that will duplicate. And we all slip up sometimes.

But if you have been here a while, I would give you the benefit of the doubt. If you feel it deserves a thread I say fire away! There are a couple folks that like to get carried away with starting threads though, sometimes we'll end up with a whole page of them.

One suggestion, when you reference another thread, maybe insert a diplomatically worded sentence, like: "Don't know if you saw the other thread or if you wanted a new thread?"

Just some ideas to consider! Can we have that group hug now ??? :wink:

Next question, why does my "Quick Reply" box leave out the carriage returns sometimes, squeezing all my stuff into one paragraph? Maybe an issue with my browser? Also, I can't edit posts when this happens (Save button is disabled). Weird.

EDIT: Yay! Think I fixed it. Looks like my People PC download accelerator skips over some of the required scripts. Anyhow once I disabled that, the buttons sprang to life!

Well, when I read the first post I must admit to once agian being angry (but I am always angry, so nothing new there). However, it seems as if the situation has sorted itself out.

I most likely should have PMed the people who I ragged on to get my point across. So, to those who have a complaint about me being a thread cop - I will say the same. Please PM me instead. Most times I am a pretty reasonable guy.

I will also take MWG's advice of using the report post button. I do not do that enough (IMO).

To hit a bit upon what Micro was saying, I really like a "clean" board. It seems that in this general topic (Michigan QBs) people were having to make multiple posts or relate back to several different threads in order to have a conversation. I know that I made several very similar points in different discussions just because the conversations were not all in one place.

I will get off my soapbox now as well. I just have some big issues with MTS readablity and this is probably the biggest one.

Forget the thread police, man. How about those who "Think" they are better then everyone else, check their ego at the door.

This is a supposed to be a fun site.

And you know who you are, Eddie Ego and the Cruisers.

Forget the thread police, man. How about those who "Think" they are better then everyone else, check their ego at the door.

I don't know who you're talking about. How about giving us some examples instead of leaving everyone hanging by the seats of their pants?

IMHO, the search function is limited, because sometimes the thread titles are not descriptive enough to get a search hit.

That's a problem there. It's annoying when somebody makes a thread title like: "Does anyone else see a problem with this?"

I'll try not to act offended by this post.

I've found today when replying to a post, that I key submit and my browser/site just sits there thinking. I've had fairlygood success, keying Submit Reply, Stop and then Refresh and finding my post published.

I've said this in other places but instead of using the quick reply at the bottom of the thread, I use "Post Reply". I've never had a problem using that.

Quick reply was giving me issues these past couple of days, when everything else was running poorly, but it never has before.