Sign in to follow this  
zachcadillac

Pistons/Bulls: Part 2

Haven't caught much of the game, but I see the Pistons are up 17 in the third. Good for them to break out of the mini-funk tonight.

They have to start winning, because Boston is right on their tail. They have wrapped up the #2 seed in the East, but if Boston finishes with a better record than Detroit, the Pistons will be opening in the Fleet Center the first two games.

This is really the Pistons first semi-funk since that lousy tailspin after the 16-4 start. We're picking the wrong time to have one.

It was nice to see us blow out the Bulls tonight though. Maybe that will get us back on track.

Chucky was sizzling. He's really come on the last 30 games or so. It's been fun watching him progress as the season continues.

If the Pistons have the #2 seed, then how can they open up in Boston? What's the point of calling them a #2 seed? The Pistons will have home court against anyone but New Jersey. Division winners take precedence.

I didn't realize it was this way until a few weeks ago too.

I think it makes no sense myself.

The only advantage would seem to be the Pistons would play the seventh seed over the sixth seed in the opening round, which can often times be a considerable difference between two different teams. However, this year that's not the case. There really is little difference from the first to eighth seeds - from the fourth to the eighth seeds there is practically none.

The Pistons will have home court against anyone but New Jersey. Division winners take precedence.

I just read up on this at ESPN.com. "Home-court advantage in all playoff series is determined by better record, not higher seeding."

Right now, the Pistons have the second-best record in the conference, and are 1 game ahead of Boston. Detroit plays at NJ and home vs. Milwaukee. Boston plays in Minnesota, and home against Atlanta.

Now, the question is, who gets home court if the two teams have identical records?

Oblong, unlike the NHL and NFL, the # 2 division winner isn't assured home court in anything but the first round. If Boston has the 2nd best record in the East, they would have the home court edge in a second round meeting with the Pistons. This has actually happened a number of times. The purpose of the playoff race is to get the best record. Yes, the division winner benefits from being the #2 seed, but unless Detroit finishes with a better record than Boston, they would lose home court for the second round if they meet the Celtics. The same thing is going on in the Western Conference. The Lakers, as of this very moment, would have home court against the Midwest Division winner (Spurs or Mavericks) in the second round. I actually like the system myself.

So would they have the #2 seed if Boston passes them in the standings?

If they do, but are really the third seed, then it's the most retarded thing I've ever seen.

Why bother with divisions? What is the point?

Because the playoff races concern the CONFERENCE itself. You are jockeying for position, trying to get better records than the other teams within the conference. The NBA rewards you with a #2 seed, which is letting you play a weaker team in the first round (supposedly). In 1989 when the Pistons won their first title, they were 63-19, Cleveland was 57-25. The Hawks were 52-30. The Knicks were 52-30, but won their division, so they got the #2 seed. You are rated based on your record, the division title and # 2 seed are just perks. In the West, the Lakers were 57-25, while the Suns were 55-27. The Jazz (51-31), had they not been upset by #7 Golden State (43-39) in the first round, would have not had the home court edge against Phoenix. In basketball, nobody gives a rip if you won your division title if you don't come through in the playoffs.

Now, the question is, who gets home court if the two teams have identical records?

I'm pretty sure that the team with the better record in the series between the two teams get's the higher ranking. If that is tied then i'm pretty sure that the team with the better record in the conference get's the tiebreaker. I know the pistons have the best record against east opponents but i'm not too sure who owns the regular season edge between Boston and Detroit. It may be Boston though.

That's ridiculous. David Stern is a freakin genius. Let's have divisions and call someone a #2 seed but they won't really be a #2 seed. If they play a #3 seed from another division with a better record, they don't get home court.

Either they care about the regular season or they don't. Don't give me this half and half crap.

What if the #2 seed had a worse record than the #7 seed? Where is the reward or perk for winning the division there?

Wow, I didn't know you felt so passionate about it Oblong. :D If you had the Kings winning the Pacific Division with a record of 67-15, and the Lakers finished second at 65-17, but the Midwest winner, let's say Dallas, was 54-28, why should Dallas get to host the Lakers? They won 11 less games than them. Think it's inconcievable? It could happen, and to a lesser degree, it has happened. It's wouldn't be the Lakers fault that the Midwest was a weak division.

Then what is the point in having divisions? Just have a Western an Eastern conference.

Originally posted by Oblong

Then what is the point in having divisions? Just have a Western an Eastern conference.

BAM!

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may be head to head, but conference records figure into these things too. I just don't know the order.