DTroppens

Looks like that Darko pick may eventually pay off

Wasn't Stuckey the player we selected with the Orlando draft pick we got for him?

It seemed it took forever to be able to use that pick. We finally got to use it and he was a bust so we traded him. Now we've got a guy that looks like he can be the real deal. And we have him at a time when we really do need him. We never really needed Darko and that was part of the problem there.

I'd still rather have dwayne wade or carmello anthony than darko, Joe D really got a one as a lesser gm would've been canned.

The Pistons didn't need Dwayne Wade three years ago, anyway he probably wouldn't have turned into the player he is now, if he wouldn't have been thrown into immediate playing time. Stuckey may be Dwade, he just isn't brave enough to do the 4 step and a hop drives yet.

And if I remember right, no one thought wade would be as good as he is now.

He was considered a reach at #5, didn't play that good of competition in college.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Quite frankly, neither Melo, nor Wade nor Bosh would've gotten the PT needed to develope them. Its not that Darko was terrible, he just didn't get as much time as the other guys, mainly because they were on bad teams.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Quite frankly, neither Melo, nor Wade nor Bosh would've gotten the PT needed to develope them. Its not that Darko was terrible, he just didn't get as much time as the other guys, mainly because they were on bad teams.

Its not like he's been blowing up since leaving.

I have a hard time believing that LB would not have played Wade. He had played in college for a few years, so he had experience, and Wade has always relentlessly attacked the rim, something LB had always preached.

Darko was terrible, no excuses about playing time are any of that stuff. He simply is not a good basketball player. Joe made a mistake, but lets not try to justify it by saying Darko would have been much better if he had gotten more playing time. You can give a mediocre player all the time in the world, he is still only a mediocre player. Personally I harbor no resentment against Joe for messing up the Darko pick, especially if Stuckey turns out to be a decent player. I'm not getting to excited yet about Stuckey yet, but he has definately shown he has the raw tools to be a nice NBA player. But please, none of this "its Larry Browns fault for not playing him enough" garbage.

I'd still rather have dwayne wade or carmello anthony than darko, Joe D really got a one as a lesser gm would've been canned.

Nice avatar!

Darko was terrible, no excuses about playing time are any of that stuff. He simply is not a good basketball player. Joe made a mistake, but lets not try to justify it by saying Darko would have been much better if he had gotten more playing time. You can give a mediocre player all the time in the world, he is still only a mediocre player. Personally I harbor no resentment against Joe for messing up the Darko pick, especially if Stuckey turns out to be a decent player. I'm not getting to excited yet about Stuckey yet, but he has definately shown he has the raw tools to be a nice NBA player. But please, none of this "its Larry Browns fault for not playing him enough" garbage.

In Joe's defense, he was not the only one enamored with Darko's abilities in workouts. He showed a good jump shot, an ability to play inside, & enough raw tools at such a young age that he could have developed into something special. He didn't, for whatever reason. Playing time - changes in philosophy in Detroit - lack of effort - who knows.

I give Joe a lot of credit for realizing the ship had sailed & turning him into a draft pick in which he could get Stuckey. The mark of a good leader is not that he doesn't make mistakes - it's that he learns from them & makes the best of them.

In Joe's defense, he was not the only one enamored with Darko's abilities in workouts. He showed a good jump shot, an ability to play inside, & enough raw tools at such a young age that he could have developed into something special. He didn't, for whatever reason. Playing time - changes in philosophy in Detroit - lack of effort - who knows.

I give Joe a lot of credit for realizing the ship had sailed & turning him into a draft pick in which he could get Stuckey. The mark of a good leader is not that he doesn't make mistakes - it's that he learns from them & makes the best of them.

I seem to recall that EVERYONE thought Darko was the right pick at #2 pick, or at worst drop to #3, with Carmello being #2. Darko was a pretty polished 7 foot tall player at the age of 17 who just didn't develop beyond that point.

I consider it an unfortunate pick rather than a bad one.

If Stuckey develops, I don't think anyone can ever throw the Darko thing in Dumars' face any more. You hear people on the radio saying Dumars set the progress of this franchise back because we were not able to develop that pick into something. Saying with it we'd be remarkably better. Yet here we are finally needing that selection to become something and we have Stuckey. Personally I'll live with what happened with that selection if this guy continues to progress. Suddenly depth at PG looks pretty solid. And possibly the long-term future of that position may as well.

Stuckey has shown me more in about a week's worth of playing than Darko has his entire career.

And really what it comes down to is we didn't need someone back then that high in the draft. Dumars has parlayed it into a reasonably high and possibly a steal with Stuckey at a time when we did need something out of it. What started as Otis Thorpe. So that's Otis Thorpe for a guy we can use right now about 10 years later. Really that's pretty brilliant in my book.

i hate to say it...but I'm starting to come around to ben's way of thinking.

This a good thing, not a bad thing. Now if only I could convince the rest of the world to start thinking like me, the world might actually be a pretty decent place.

I seem to recall that EVERYONE thought Darko was the right pick at #2 pick, or at worst drop to #3, with Carmello being #2. Darko was a pretty polished 7 foot tall player at the age of 17 who just didn't develop beyond that point.

I consider it an unfortunate pick rather than a bad one.

I think you're right about Darko's pre-draft rankings. I agree he did not develop, but I wonder why? Is it that his game was developed in the European leagues & not in the U-S? Either way, I don't blame Joe - I credit him for seeing it wasn't happening & doing something about it.

The fact of the matter is there are busts all the time in the NBA draft...Darko is by no means the first. The other fact is, that if Darko became half the player he was expected to become he'd arguably have been more valuable to a team then Melo ever will be. Wade and Bosh were surprises and are of no consequence in this discussion. It's a shame it didn't work out, hopefully it will soon for him though.

The fact of the matter is there are busts all the time in the NBA draft...Darko is by no means the first. The other fact is, that if Darko became half the player he was expected to become he'd arguably have been more valuable to a team then Melo ever will be. Wade and Bosh were surprises and are of no consequence in this discussion. It's a shame it didn't work out, hopefully it will soon for him though.

Yeah, remember Sam Bowie?

Anthony would never cut it as a Pistons player.

He doesn't play defense

Wade is another story, because if we had drafted Wade back then, today there is no way that we would still have Wade, Rip and C-Bill. Wade has made his career driving to the basket. His outside shot is weak and he has no 3 point shot (his career 3 point FG % is 24), so he would not have replaced Rip, because Wade is more of #1 than a #2. So therefore he would have to have replaced C-Bill who we either would have lost free agency last summer or would have traded him. We also could have traded Wade but there is no way to guess who we would have gotten if we had traded either one of them.

Personally I would rather have C-Bill playing the #1 for us than Wade, but that is just a personal thing and I can totally understand how someone would prefer Wade to C-Bill.

The problem with DMC has always been and even is today is his head is where the sun doesn't shine, when it comes to being a good NBA player. He has all the physical skills today to be a very good player if his head was in the right place. Unfortunately for us we never got the right read on what his mental approach to becoming a successful NBA player was going to be before we drafted him.

I don't really think the Darko pick was horrible, it made sense for an already strong team to pick the project high potential player, but like many of those he was a complete bust.

I guess I should correct myself, in hindsight it was horrible, but at the time it made sense.

I had no clue who Darko was. I wanted to see him play before I ever made a true assessment if he was a good pick or not. It seemed we kept hearing about him but never saw anything but a few plays that he looked good on. Well duh. He was in some league as a 17-year old. That was impressive. But I really had no clue how good or bad the pick was and said I would take a wait and see approach.

Darko can't be that old yet. He still has time on his side to turn it around. He's just got to want to do that.