Tigerclaws

"With their first round pick the Detroit Lions pick" (or should pick)

I don't think he's a 1st rounder, but he's definitely higher than a 6th.

He's 6'1" 225 with very good speed and power. He rushed for just over 1900 yards and had 20 TD's this year. He's a decent blocker and is good at receiving out of the backfield as well. Going to UR will drop him some, but he is a very solid 3rd rounder with a chance to improve if he works out well.

Yeah... that's why I liked him so much...

Your last sentence demonstartes why your whole first paragraph is dangerous thinking.

See Drew Stanton.

Why is it any more dangerous than taking a cornerback in round 2? Or a defensive lineman in round 2?

The fact is, we have to deal with Millen making the picks no matter WHAT round the pick is in. So I don't really understand what your point is.

84Lives,

No, if the Lions want to select one late in the draft that's fine.

Buddha,

I'm not saying they don't need a running back. And if a guy that should've gone top 5 falls to the Lions or a guy that should've gone in the top 25 is around when they are picking in the second round, maybe you re-evaluate it. However, this isn't the team's greatest need and you don't take a guy at RB because you're picking and a guy has fallen two spots to you. And running back is among the easiest spots to get value. With a reasonable line anyone in the NFL right now would be an adequate back. With a reasonable line group would probably be fine. Actually this year they were no worse than inconsistent and we didn't have a line or a coordinator that wanted to use them. You don't see any running backs failing consistently on third-and-1s if their line is getting the initial surge.

Not saying the Lions don't need other backs. It just isn't a pressing need at this time and it may be something that can be addressed as easily in the fourth round as in the second round. If the line doesn't get addressed, it really doesn't matter (to a decent degree) what we do with the running game.

The fact is, we have to deal with Millen making the picks no matter WHAT round the pick is in. So I don't really understand what your point is.

This one comment is why it almost makes no sense to talk about any of this stuff.

84Lives,

Buddha,

I'm not saying they don't need a running back. And if a guy that should've gone top 5 falls to the Lions or a guy that should've gone in the top 25 is around when they are picking in the second round, maybe you re-evaluate it. However, this isn't the team's greatest need and you don't take a guy at RB because you're picking and a guy has fallen two spots to you. And running back is among the easiest spots to get value. With a reasonable line anyone in the NFL right now would be an adequate back. With a reasonable line group would probably be fine. Actually this year they were no worse than inconsistent and we didn't have a line or a coordinator that wanted to use them. You don't see any running backs failing consistently on third-and-1s if their line is getting the initial surge.

Not saying the Lions don't need other backs. It just isn't a pressing need at this time and it may be something that can be addressed as easily in the fourth round as in the second round. If the line doesn't get addressed, it really doesn't matter (to a decent degree) what we do with the running game.

OK, I said that if Stewart or Mendenhall fall to the Lions in the SECOND round. Those two are top 5 RBs, IIRC. I'm not talking about taking Mike Hart in the second round, I'm saying that if a top half first round talent falls to you, then you take them.

What I'm talking about isn't a Drew Stanton situation, where the Lions reached to take a player at a position they didn't need to fill. If Stewart or mendenhall are available in mid-round 2 it's because they've fallen, not like Stanton. And a team needs two good running backs considering how often they get hurt (and that Jones is a free agent after this next season). It's not like the QB position. And this draft is loaded with high level RB talent, not like last year's dearth of QB talent.

The two situations would be completely dissimilar.

I agree with Buddha, the 2 situations are not similar at all, except in the fact that both will likely be wrong choices.

Sorry Buddha, I missed the "really good player" part. You are right, they aren't similar. My overall point is still valid though. It doesn't matter who is available or what the team needs. Millen will screw it up.

Sorry Buddha, I missed the "really good player" part. You are right, they aren't similar. My overall point is still valid though. It doesn't matter who is available or what the team needs. Millen will screw it up.

On that we, unfortunately, agree.

But he gets lucky every now and again, hopefully he'll get lucky again this year.

I can't wait for next year's "don't you think Millen has improved" threads. They'll probably show up right after the "we were 7-9 last year, if we can only win a couple more of those close games we'll be in the playoffs" threads.

Here's a thread idea: If the Lions don't make the playoffs next year, are Marinelli and Millen out?

Here's another one: Marinelli has not shown anything that demonstrates he's a good NFL coach. Nothing. My biggest fear when he got here was that he wouldn't be able to transition from being a position coach to being a HEAD coach, and I think that fear has happened.

Of the nine losses, only 2 were close (Dallas *fraud* and the Giants); and those were home games they should have won. The Lions weren't close in any other game. 7-9 should be considered a fluke until proven otherwise.

Of the nine losses, only 2 were close (Dallas *fraud* and the Giants); and those were home games they should have won. The Lions weren't close in any other game. 7-9 should be considered a fluke until proven otherwise.

I agree!

You sure are being sensible lately.:wink:

Here's another one: Marinelli has not shown anything that demonstrates he's a good NFL coach. Nothing. My biggest fear when he got here was that he wouldn't be able to transition from being a position coach to being a HEAD coach, and I think that fear has happened.

I am starting to come around to your side on this one. His "break" with Martz is not a good sign (not so much that he got rid of him, but that he picked him in the first place if their philosophies were so incompatible). Plus he and his staff not figuring out until late that Woody was a good RT (and that Foster was garbage). Plus not realizing that the Lions' soft-zone D would flop without better pass-rushers and LB's to stop the dump-off passes. Marinelli has some significant issues to fix in 2008.

84Lives,

Buddha,

With the state of our o-line, we might already have a good serviceable back and don't know it. Bell was good in Denver. But he sucks as a Lion? How does that work? We had Ruben Droughns and nobody thought he was any good and he had been good in other places. I wonder how Kevin Jones would have been behind a good O-line.

On that we, unfortunately, agree.

But he gets lucky every now and again, hopefully he'll get lucky again this year.

I can't wait for next year's "don't you think Millen has improved" threads. They'll probably show up right after the "we were 7-9 last year, if we can only win a couple more of those close games we'll be in the playoffs" threads.

Here's a thread idea: If the Lions don't make the playoffs next year, are Marinelli and Millen out?

I gotta disagree. Just for the fact that we actually won 7 games with no talent. To me, this was a 4-12 team talentwise and he won 7. And the schedule was pretty tough this year. I don't think the coaching was the problem. I think the mistakes he's made has been overrating his personnel and convincing our GM to sign them long term. But that's not coaching. That's player evaluation. And that's Millen. Coaches in the NFL should coach. GM's should GM. I thought he got more than what he should have in the W-L department based on the talent at his disposal.

I thought the other LB from USC looked pretty good in the Rose Bowl. Some guy with a Hawaiian-sounding name. I think he was a junior so he would have to declare. I'm not sure if he should be a first-rounder, but whatever round he fits in, he would be a good pick for the Lions. I'd like to see the Lions focus on DL, LB and CB in the first 4 rounds. They need both a DE and a DT if you ask me. They also need 2 LBs but we'll probably need to keep Lenon for another year just because there are so many other spots to fill first.

Edit: The guy (USC LB) I'm talking about is Rey Maualuga.

Maualuga is staying for his senior season. Bummer.http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/07/cushing-maualuga-to-stay-in-school/

This was a 4-5 win team that somehow won 7. I totally agree with that. The "somehow" was turnovers.

What is really alarming is how often this team got blown out. Their scores read like a college football team - not an NFL team. They lost nine games and over half of those were by 17 or more points. The Dolphins lost six games by that amount and were the worst team in football.

Really you don't expect to lose by more than that any more than a few times a year. The NFL is just too competitive.

I think in the first half of 2007 we started to see what Rod Marinelli's version of the Tampa 2 can do. Now it's important to find players that will fit that system. Unless Jake Long falls to them, they HAVE to pick defense in the 1st round. I'd like to see "D" in the first 2.

I might change my mind about selecting Aqib Talib, if he runs a decent 40. Right now, Vernon Gholston is the best pass rusher in the draft by far, and I don't see any way he should be available at 15. I'm not that high on Derrick Harvey, although he might be a decent pick there also. I'd prefer the Lions sign Woody, so they could draft defense. There is good depth at corner, so the Lions should draft multiple corners in this draft.

I might change my mind about selecting Aqib Talib, if he runs a decent 40.

I'll bet it wont be the last time before draft day.

MLB, CB, DE....I think DE has a lower priority as $$$ were spent on White last year and a fairly high draft pick was spent on Alama-Francis. I don't know about signing Woody again...his injury history and "usual" fitness level scares me. I'd rather spend a few more $$ to find a decent journeyman.

Ray Rice is another good RB to consider.

I agree though that the focus should be on defense and the offensive line.

My problem with drafting a DE is that a lotta DE's don't make much impact in their rookie year.

I disagree. The good ones make an immediate impact. You can never have enough pass rushers or corners.

A LB I really like that might be available in the 2nd is Jerod Mayo of Tennessee. He'd fit the defense perfectly as a MLB. I'll be blogging the Senior Bowl practices all week, which will be shown on the NFL Network.

With the state of our o-line, we might already have a good serviceable back and don't know it. Bell was good in Denver. But he sucks as a Lion? How does that work? We had Ruben Droughns and nobody thought he was any good and he had been good in other places. I wonder how Kevin Jones would have been behind a good O-line.

I was thinking the same thing as I was scrolling through this thread. We have very decent backs for a run first offense with Bell and Duckett with Bradley at fullback and Calhoun and Jones coming back from injuries. You can't sign an O-line because most teams won't give up the better ones they have. You need to draft and develope a line that can work well together then you can draft one or 2 a year to replace linemen who fade away or get hurt prematurely (like Utley and Andolsek did for us in '91).

If they trade Rogers and Williams for draft picks, Millen will probably load up on defense this year with a few O-line picks near the end. No WR, QB, RB this year.