darko31

Whats next?

Bedard would probably take more than Haren.

And folks, Jose Guillen just signed for 12mil per. It's going to take more than 18 mil per to do it.

Inge for a reliever.

How 'bout Inge *as* a reliever. Didn't he do that once upon a time?

I'm thinking outside the box.....of sanity. :happy:

Inge, Larish and Thames or J. Jones to Texas for Hank Blalock. Miggy is going to end up in the outfield, probably left, so go out and get a good third baseman that can actually hit. Also, Texas is in need of a first baseman, so Larish could fill that need for them.

How 'bout Inge *as* a reliever. Didn't he do that once upon a time?

I'm thinking outside the box.....of sanity. :happy:

Yup, in college. A guy I worked with played at GW against Inge (who played at Virginia Commonwealth)

Don't forget, this trade also lessens our need for a first baseman. Larish (and Shelton for that matter) could be included with Inge.

I am curious - do you think Cabrera moves to 1B in the next 1-2 years?

The A's wouldn't talk Haren witht he Tigers unless both Maybin and Miller were included. Somehow I don't think they'd drop there price THAT much.

The A's showed some interest in Robertson last season, and sent scouts to some of his starts. He's left-handed, young(ish) (only three years older than Haren), and affordable.

According to JP Morosi, Sizmore, Hollimon and Larish possess the plate discipline Beane seems to value so much. Plus, it's Billy Beane. He's kind of nuts.

Yes, this article was written before the Cabrera/Willis deal, but it's not an entirely implausible thought.

Morosi article

Quite possibly.... 2 or 3 years after Carlos retires or moves on...

Sorry, this was in responce to

I am curious - do you think Cabrera moves to 1B in the next 1-2 years?

from Tigercub33 post# 31

Quite possibly.... 2 or 3 years after Carlos retires or moves on...

Was this a response to my question "What about putting Cabrera at 1B and Guillen at 3B" and if so, can you explain what you mean, I don't understand? Thanks.

Also, FYI - Carlos Guillen is under contract through 2011, so he's not retiring or moving or for at least 4 years.

What about putting Cabrera at 1B and Guillen at 3B?

Why not put Larish at 1B, Guillen at 3B and Cabrera in the OF?

I am a big Larish fan (no idea why - I just am).

There was relatively little talk about moving Guillen to 3B BEFORE this trade. I don;t see why we would do it now.

I mot saying it doesn't make sense, I just don't see it happening.

IMo, for this year and probably next - Cabrera plays 3B, LF, or a mix of both (and I am banking on 3B since we need another LH in the lineup).

Why not put Larish at 1B, Guillen at 3B and Cabrera in the OF?

I am a big Larish fan (no idea why - I just am).

There was relatively little talk about moving Guillen to 3B BEFORE this trade. I don;t see why we would do it now.

I mot saying it doesn't make sense, I just don't see it happening.

IMo, for this year and probably next - Cabrera plays 3B, LF, or a mix of both (and I am banking on 3B since we need another LH in the lineup).

I don't know enough about Larish to have an informed opinion on him. He gets high marks from you and other smart people on this board, so that is encouraging. I was proposing Cabrera at 1B b/c if he is as much of a defensive liability as some say, he'll do less damage at 1B than LF, I would think. 3B seems to be a more natural migration for many aging SS than 1B, so if Guillen's defense at 3B is better than Cabrera's, they might be better off switching positions. Cabrera seems to fit the mold of a power-hitting 1B more so than a LFer, to me at least, especially if he doesn't stay trim.

There wouldn't have been much talk about Guillen to third before this trade b/c we didn't have another viable 1B option for 2008 other than bringing back Casey and we did have a 3B under contract in Inge. Now that we have a 2-3 options for guys who could play 3B (Cabrera, Inge and maybe Guillen) and 2 options for guys who could play 1B (Guillen and Cabrera), it seems worthwhile re-examing who is the best guy to play each position. My guess is that the defensive difference between Guillen and Inge at 3B is much closer than between Cabrera and Inge. If that is correct, then put Guillen at 3B, Cabrera at 1B and Inge on the bench or another team's roster. I would prefer almost any line-up combination that does not include Brandon Inge with a bat in his hands. Would his .240 kill us? No, not with the production through the rest of the line-up. But I think we have better options available to us.

I also think that with Jones, Thames and Raburn all representing good options in LF, that position is pretty well set and I'd be very surprised if Jones does not get the majority of the starts for us in LF in 2008 after we just traded for him.

Package Robertson/Inge/Thames/Larish/Hollimon/Sizemore to A's for

Dan Haren/Joe Blanton and Eric Chavez.

Move Cabrera to LF, with Jacque on the bench.

Sign Dotel for the bullpen.

Call it a year.

Package Robertson/Inge/Thames/Larish/Hollimon/Sizemore to A's for

Dan Haren/Joe Blanton and Eric Chavez.

Move Cabrera to LF, with Jacque on the bench.

Sign Dotel for the bullpen.

Call it a year.

Don't think thats going to work!:bandit:

I don't know enough about Larish to have an informed opinion on him. He gets high marks from you and other smart people on this board, so that is encouraging. I was proposing Cabrera at 1B b/c if he is as much of a defensive liability as some say, he'll do less damage at 1B than LF, I would think. 3B seems to be a more natural migration for many aging SS than 1B, so if Guillen's defense at 3B is better than Cabrera's, they might be better off switching positions. Cabrera seems to fit the mold of a power-hitting 1B more so than a LFer, to me at least, especially if he doesn't stay trim.

There wouldn't have been much talk about Guillen to third before this trade b/c we didn't have another viable 1B option for 2008 other than bringing back Casey and we did have a 3B under contract in Inge. Now that we have a 2-3 options for guys who could play 3B (Cabrera, Inge and maybe Guillen) and 2 options for guys who could play 1B (Guillen and Cabrera), it seems worthwhile re-examing who is the best guy to play each position. My guess is that the defensive difference between Guillen and Inge at 3B is much closer than between Cabrera and Inge. If that is correct, then put Guillen at 3B, Cabrera at 1B and Inge on the bench or another team's roster. I would prefer almost any line-up combination that does not include Brandon Inge with a bat in his hands. Would his .240 kill us? No, not with the production through the rest of the line-up. But I think we have better options available to us.

I also think that with Jones, Thames and Raburn all representing good options in LF, that position is pretty well set and I'd be very surprised if Jones does not get the majority of the starts for us in LF in 2008 after we just traded for him.

Fair enough and interesting thoughts.

I think it really all depends how Cabrera's new S&C program is going. From all accounts so far, he seems to be doing well. I think he is athletic enough to stay at 3B - at leats for a coupe of years.

Part of Guillen's problem was the throwing (IIRC). Moving him to 3B doesn't solve that. Given that Guillen, in the last 2 years, has played more 1B than 3B - I think he might be more comfortable there. So, by keeping Cabrera at 3B and Guillen at 1B you have both guys play positions they are more comfortable at and I think that would create slightly better D than if they were switched.

If Cabrera's S&C program does not improve his 3B play, team defense would best be served by Cabrera in LF (with more range due to S&C program), Inge at 3B and Guillen at 1B. (former good fielding SS)

Inge bats 9th and you hope for .250 w/15 hr's or better.

I like using Jones as the 4th OF who can backup all 3 OF positions.

Raburn and Santiago backup the IF.

Thames becomes trade bait.

Fair enough and interesting thoughts.

I think it really all depends how Cabrera's new S&C program is going. From all accounts so far, he seems to be doing well. I think he is athletic enough to stay at 3B - at leats for a coupe of years.

Part of Guillen's problem was the throwing (IIRC). Moving him to 3B doesn't solve that. Given that Guillen, in the last 2 years, has played more 1B than 3B - I think he might be more comfortable there. So, by keeping Cabrera at 3B and Guillen at 1B you have both guys play positions they are more comfortable at and I think that would create slightly better D than if they were switched.

Good point on the throwing problems. If that is in fact an issue with Guillen playing 3B, it probably kills my case. I don't have a problem at all with Cabrera at 3B and Guillen at 1B, in fact I hope that's what happens. My idea of putting Guillen at 3B and Cabrera at 1B is a response to the suggestion by others that Inge should continue to be the third baseman and Cabrera should play LF. I don't like Inge at all and don't want to see him be a part of our starting line-up. His fielding gets over-rated in my opinion. Is he better than Cabrera at 3B? Certainly. Is he better than Guillen likely would be? Probably, but also probably not by that much. Based on Zone Rating, Range Factor and Fielding Percentage, he's a slightly better than average 3B and his .240 average has no place in the starting line-up of a team this good, IMO, and he strikes out more than any other 3B in MLB.

Will Tigers flip Dontrelle Willis? The Mets think they might

Thursday, Dec 6, 2007 11:49 am EST

Dontrelle Willis

Getty Images

The New York Daily News, citing sources within the New York Mets, believe the Detroit Tigers may flip recently acquired Dontrelle Willis because of payroll limitations.

The Mets would be interested in speaking with the Tigers, but no dialogue is believed to have occurred yet. It is believed the Marlins may have insisted the Tigers take on both their arbitration-eligible players, Willis and third baseman Miguel Cabrera.

The Tigers acquired both players knowing they couldn't afford both, and may be looking to replenish their farm system by flipping Willis.

Source: New York Daily News

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Will-Tigers-flip-Dontrelle-Willis-The-Mets-thin;_ylt=ArFXywjnhOMfy1hV8ZR9QMw8R9MF?urn=mlb,56520