Mike

Willis and Cabrera to the Tigers

This is absolutley a great day to be a Tiger!! Wow.. I just can't imagine thinking about having Miggy at third base.. and I think Dontrell will be fine.. and to think that DD had thrown the teaser that they were done.. this is very nice..

Jon Paul Morosi reveals the three remaining players, and they're all pitchers: Burke Badenhop, Eulogio de la Cruz, and Dallas Trahern. Based on Kevin Goldstein's Tigers prospect list, the team surrendered its #1, 7, and 11th ranked prospects. Miller's not on the list due to big league experience but he'd be third if he was.

Morosi also notes that Marcus Thames, Brandon Inge, and Chad Durbin are now on the block.

From MLBTraderumors.com.

Also man I love this trade but I'll miss DLC wind up.

I love this trade. We have to go for the championship now instead of waiting for our talent to develop. I am not sold on Maybin as alot of you guys are. So, I'm not too sad he's gone. I want to know who else is involved in this deal. I suspect it's Raburn and probably Clevelan in the deal.

Badenhop, Trahern, & E. De La Cruz, were the 3 prospects.

Tigers Catch the AL by Its Tail

by Nate Silver

I grew up in East Lansing, Michigan, you know. I might or might not be wearing a Tigers cap as I type this. So you’ll excuse me if I have a hard time remaining objective about these things. But I can’t help but like what the Tigers’ blockbuster move for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis is going to do for that club.

Here’s the key number in this deal: Four.

Four is the number of relatively cheap arbitration-eligible seasons that the Tigers are picking up between Cabrera and Willis. Half of the league is willing to bend over backward — perhaps giving up a package analogous to what the Tigers just gave up — for one season of Johan Santana. Although Willis is not the pitcher than Santana is by a long shot, he’s an excellent buy-low guy who was mostly victimized by some poor defense and some poor luck in Miami last year, and an extremely viable #2/#3 starter. And Cabrera might well be the equal of Santana in terms of 2008 value. In terms of overall value, the Tigers are getting perhaps three times as much incoming value as the Red Sox might get for one year of Santana.

Four is also the number of high draft picks that the Tigers will get if Cabrera and Willis eventually depart for free agency. For a team that drafts as aggressively as the Tigers do — those picks could turn into four more Rick Porcellos — that’s an extremely non-trivial factor.

Finally, four is the number of American League teams that make the playoffs. This trade addresses clear areas of need for the Tigers, and could easily be worth as many as seven or eight games in the wins column. From my vantage point, the Tigers, Indians, Yankees and Red Sox are now in a four-way tie for the Best Team in Baseball heading into 2008; it’s going to be fascinating to see which of the those teams is the odd man out.

I’m just about finishing up the hitter PECOTA’s, so a quick note on Maybin: the system likes him, but does not love him, regarding him to be well behind the Jay Bruce / Evan Longoria class of prospects. In particular, it has him getting up to an EqBA/EqOBP/EqSLG of .267/.357/.460 (.284 EqA) by the time he hits age 25, with roughly league-average defense in center field. It also has him at .248/.330/.428 for 2008 (.261 EqA), which means that he’s probably ready to step into a major league lineup right now for a second-division club like the Marlins. That’s potentially quite valuable, but not necessarily All-Star caliber, as PECOTA has quite a few concerns about Maybin’s strikeout rate.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=691

what happens with inge could we send him to the Angels with Robertson for Santana or Weaver. I sure wish we could have gotten Harren great trade.

Tigers Catch the AL by Its Tail

by Nate Silver

I grew up in East Lansing, Michigan, you know. I might or might not be wearing a Tigers cap as I type this. So you’ll excuse me if I have a hard time remaining objective about these things. But I can’t help but like what the Tigers’ blockbuster move for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis is going to do for that club.

Here’s the key number in this deal: Four.

Four is the number of relatively cheap arbitration-eligible seasons that the Tigers are picking up between Cabrera and Willis. Half of the league is willing to bend over backward — perhaps giving up a package analogous to what the Tigers just gave up — for one season of Johan Santana. Although Willis is not the pitcher than Santana is by a long shot, he’s an excellent buy-low guy who was mostly victimized by some poor defense and some poor luck in Miami last year, and an extremely viable #2/#3 starter. And Cabrera might well be the equal of Santana in terms of 2008 value. In terms of overall value, the Tigers are getting perhaps three times as much incoming value as the Red Sox might get for one year of Santana.

Four is also the number of high draft picks that the Tigers will get if Cabrera and Willis eventually depart for free agency. For a team that drafts as aggressively as the Tigers do — those picks could turn into four more Rick Porcellos — that’s an extremely non-trivial factor.

Finally, four is the number of American League teams that make the playoffs. This trade addresses clear areas of need for the Tigers, and could easily be worth as many as seven or eight games in the wins column. From my vantage point, the Tigers, Indians, Yankees and Red Sox are now in a four-way tie for the Best Team in Baseball heading into 2008; it’s going to be fascinating to see which of the those teams is the odd man out.

I’m just about finishing up the hitter PECOTA’s, so a quick note on Maybin: the system likes him, but does not love him, regarding him to be well behind the Jay Bruce / Evan Longoria class of prospects. In particular, it has him getting up to an EqBA/EqOBP/EqSLG of .267/.357/.460 (.284 EqA) by the time he hits age 25, with roughly league-average defense in center field. It also has him at .248/.330/.428 for 2008 (.261 EqA), which means that he’s probably ready to step into a major league lineup right now for a second-division club like the Marlins. That’s potentially quite valuable, but not necessarily All-Star caliber, as PECOTA has quite a few concerns about Maybin’s strikeout rate.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=691

I'm stunned. Just got home. I had an Instant Message from Mikeshoe that just said "Oh my! Now that is a trade." I got goosebumps.

I don't like the farm system being drained but Cabrera's as good as we hope Maybin can be.

I'll defer to everyone else but I'm not entirely happy with it.

I think it is a great trade. Way to go Tigers!

A little nervous about Willis but hoping for the best. Other than Maybin/Miller I couldn't care less about losing the other guys. And Maybin+Miller seems like a fair trade for Cabrera alone. Great trade!!!

Finally able to view the board even though logged in all day. Wow! Not sure I agree with all of the trade, but accept it will be good for the Tigers. Nice to have seen Cam one last time last week and Dallas earlier.

im so glad everyone is excited about this deal because I LOVE IT!

dont know what we'll do with Inge but I believe he is a utility type guy anyway.. if he'll accept it that is and if we'll accept his large contract to play every so often...

bottom line: I'm ECSTATIC!

I'm stunned. Just got home. I had an Instant Message from Mikeshoe that just said "Oh my! Now that is a trade." I got goosebumps.

I don't like the farm system being drained but Cabrera's as good as we hope Maybin can be.

I'll defer to everyone else but I'm not entirely happy with it.

I'll be shocked if Badenhop, and De La Cruz make it big. Rabelo is a backup, and Cabrera is better than Maybin. By getting Cabrera, its as if we accelerated Maybin by four years or so. Maybin isn't a sure deal. Cabrera is the real deal. Dontrelle I understand being concerned, but Miller this season would've been up and down anyways, learning the process and the MLB. Its also not a foregone conclusion he'll be effective in his career. But even if Miller does become a stud, the Tigers have Porcello and many more guys down there to fill the void.

I guess you can platoon Inge and Jones. When a lefty is pitching play Cabrera in Left and Inge at 3rd, for righties play Cabrera at 3rd and Jones in left. Jones will probably be the easiest to trade, but if some will give us a 6 pack for Inge I'd do it.

Wow' date=' we just went nuclear.

The biggest downside to this deal is what the Red Sox and Yankees will respond with.[/quote']

There's not too much left, save for Santana.

The Tigers just leaped frogged the entire league with this deal.

Even if Boston gets Santana, Detroit is right there with them. I think Willis will have a good season. With his funky delivery, he may have a good season in the AL since hitters are not familiar with him.

I also remember reading (perhaps in one of the threads here today) that some scouts believe that Dontrelle's problems the last two years related to mechanical adjustments the Marlins made in his delivery. If true, the Tigers may feel they can straighten him out. If not, he should at least be a pretty good #5 starter, better than what we would likely have gotten from that spot in the rotation otherwise.

GO TIGERS!!!!

I get home from work and to my wifes dismay I go right to the computer. Moments later I am yelling, freaking out my wife and kids. I tell her we just got Miggy and she says "oh, who's that" I try to explain but it does no good. Man I cant believe DD and co. pulled this off. I cant wait for ST. All of us who have stood by this team through the worst, days like today are well worth it. Even if this trade somehow fails its good to know that Tigers execs. really do want to win. I dont want to be too optimistic but....look out Boston, here come the Tigers!!!