Mike

Martz Must Go!

Yup, right on cue.

What was this supposed to mean, anyway?

(I can see that all the usual suspects are banding together again, and mocking those who dare disagree with their way of thining).

What was this supposed to mean, anyway?

(I can see that all the usual suspects are banding together again, and mocking those who dare disagree with their way of thining).

EDIT: I was being mean. I love everybody. Hugs to everyone. Lets not be critical anymore people. We should all be thankful that we even have the NFL to discuss. There are people (like those in Miami and San Fransisco) who would love to be in our shoes. Drew Staton is going to be awesome and Mike Martz will lead us to the promise land. Who needs Linebackers anyways?

Oh wait, no, they won't. And Miami and San Fransisco, while HORRIBLE right now, have actually have won in my lifetime.

EDIT: I was being mean. I love everybody. Hugs to everyone. Lets not be critical anymore people. We should all be thankful that we even have the NFL to discuss. There are people (like those in Miami and San Fransisco) who would love to be in our shoes. Drew Staton is going to be awesome and Mike Martz will lead us to the promise land. Who needs Linebackers anyways?

Oh wait, no, they won't. And Miami and San Fransisco, while HORRIBLE right now, have actually have won in my lifetime.

Absolutely. Millen always makes the right draft choices, free agent signings, and coaching hires. The reason why the Lions have sucked *** since Millen took over is because of fans like us. If we were positive about the Lions regardless of what happens, they would have won at least two, perhaps three Super Bowls during the Millen regime by now. We should be ashamed of ourselves for telling it the way it is.

This has nothing to do with UM vs MSU, at least not in my mind.

You are absolutely right. But way to completely miss the point. How many UM threads did I have to sift through Mike Hart is a classless coward b.s.? How many times does the old Fab Five joke get pulled out in a UM football thread? The point is, threads evolve.

Defense was addressed earlier in this thread by Dtropp, I believ who made a semi-joke about the Lions not caring about their defense. You said that was absurd. Sure it is. But by their draft history (and FA for that matter), it's very fair to say it's been neglected and treated as though it were second fiddle.

As far as the "usual suspects" garbage. jfhovis, like you, completely missed the point of my post. He then went on to claim I had "man love" for Harris. It has nothing to do with right or wrong.

It's all related. When you spend so much of your time working on one side of the ball and doing it so inefficiently (maybe some are starting to understand what my beef about the McKown thing was now) the other side is going to suffer. That's just how it is. And because of that you are going to see a ton of overlap like this.

And I refuse to say I egged anything on. The post in question was about 95% about the offense and actually saying I understood what their frame of mind in that game was.

That said I do 100 percent agree with the intent of that sentence. For the last few years I've been begging for help on the defensive side of the ball and really have seen minimal changes to it. So really I do feel like the Lions have earned the defense the team has.

Just to be clear, the thing that set me off in this thread was Euphdude's "manure brain" comment. Before that it was the normal disagreements & debates that a message board is supposed to be for. I didn't think there was any reason to insult someone like that. Peace dudes.

I hope the coaches think that way. I certainly believe Marinelli does. And I'm sure Martz is genuine as well. They are doing this because they love it. It's a passion. Most of us could never invest so much of our lives to do what they do. Their jobs are their lives.

I love those quotes. I thought Woody played well, too. It's nice to have that affirmed in my mind by Martz. The Jones point is good, too. He's been noticeably off since the Arizona game. He's been working his butt off since the rehab and he probably just hit a setback and he's mentally drained. Maybe he personally needed to not carry the ball so much and rest his body. They should have just sat him for a couple weeks and let Duckett play instead of abandoning the run game. I also think he's excited he can have his type of receivers in there. Quick, fast, smart, and then CJ back healthy who could be dominating. Somebody said addition by subtraction regarding our receiving core and I think that hit the nail on the head.

As far as Martz quotes about the offensive line, I think they are interesting. The only real problem we had was right tackle. It was just killing us. Maybe Woody will solidify that group. If Jones is healthy and the receiving corp start clicking maybe we can score some points. But that doesn't mean we can stop anybody, though.

Just to be clear, the thing that set me off in this thread was Euphdude's "manure brain" comment. Before that it was the normal disagreements & debates that a message board is supposed to be for. I didn't think there was any reason to insult someone like that. Peace dudes.

"Manure for brains" is a reference to a scene National Lampoon's Vacation, and is somewhat used in jest in my case. The Lions could have used a defensive player - including linebacker - WAY more than a project QB with their first pick in the second round, and jfhovis' comment and LGB02 having "man love for David Harris" was worthy of my comment given the flow and direction of the conversation up to that post.

Does this explanation meet your approval?

raising a small hand, from the back of the room...

i, for one, think that the tendency for some to continue to further vindicate their previous positions may be taking precedence over providing new and more helpful/constructive postings within this forum...

so yeah, some of are starting to blank out over "the usual suspects" stating the same exact opinions...again...and again...and again...

and not just with the lions...but also over on the tigs board too...

and just to be clear...i'm not saying that the opinion(s) might not be right...or that you all don't have the right to do it...

just pointing out that it tends to blunt the point of your position if you keep hammering it home at every single posting on every topic, ya know?...

but when every thread turns into a six page discussion over things that people have argued over for over six months now the site becomes far less interesting...

and a lot more like those family gatherings where your uncle starts ranting about 'nam all over again...and everybody else just starts rolling their eyes...we've all been there...

so y'all are free to say what you want...but just a friendly reminder that there may be a better way to get your point across...

There's no question that Martz is an offensive genious but he's just not the right fit with the rest of the coaching staff and with the whole Marinelli philosophy. Marinelli is all about the basics - football fundamentals - where Martz offensive schemes are quite opposite. There are so many details to worry about that any focus on fundamentals gets lost before the ball even gets snapped, while everyone is trying to figure out all the shifting to get lined up correctly. The two are like oil and water... very different football philosophy.

The Biggest problem with Martz is he doesn't run the ball enough. In the games he actually runs the ball they play well. They've almost beaten green bay and dallas by running the ball. Also, the o-line plays better when they run the ball. I don't see how you can't justify running more.

Martz is a moron. His status as a "genius" is a complete fraud, it's all hot air.

His offenses produce completely meaningless statistical totals, but don't score enough to win games. Yeah, you got that right, Martz offenses don't score enough points to win games.

Martz needs to be fired immediately, but of course before that, Millen must be fired first.

No significant personnel change should be made in this organization before Millen is terminated.

After Millen is whacked, Martz can then be canned, and then his teacher's pet all-talk no-performance QB run out of town and replaced by a legitimate starting-quality NFL QB (or someone with the potential to become one).

Somewhere along the line in this sequence Marinelli will probably be cashiered too, he's definitely about No. 4 in the pecking order of people who need to be sent out of town, but he is most definitely on the list. If he had shown any evidence whatsoever he knew what he was doing, it might be different, but he hasn't, so it's not.

The problem with the team is defense, not Martz or Kitna. I guess if you want to criticize the offense you could say that they aren't good enough at coming back from 20-point deficits midway through the 2nd quarter.

When the defense plays decently the Lions do run the ball and they run semi-effectively. They mix up their plays very well in the close games. When the defense doesn't play well everything goes to pot.

The problem with the team is defense, not Martz or Kitna. I guess if you want to criticize the offense you could say that they aren't good enough at coming back from 20-point deficits midway through the 2nd quarter.

When the defense plays decently the Lions do run the ball and they run semi-effectively. They mix up their plays very well in the close games. When the defense doesn't play well everything goes to pot.

Quoted for Truth.

Anyone think Matt Flynn will be available for the Lions second round pick?

I would guess he woudl be projected to be a 2nd day pick - so the 2nd round seems like the perfect time for Millen to take him as long as there are several qualified players at positions of actual need available then (which is doubtful because the Lions have very few areas that need to be upgraded).

SO now that I know Flynn will be available. Can someone tell me what good defensive players the Lions will pass up in order to take him?

I think the Lions should trade up to get Jake Long. IMO They should fix their defensive problems via trade and/or FA. Call me stupid and biased but Alama-Francis should replace Kalimba Edwards. Also I think Drew Stanton should get some playing time now that the Lions are out of the playoffs. If he plays well we may not need to draft a QB.

The 20-point deficits are due to Mr. Jesus Boy QB firing continual intereceptions to the other team and handing them terrific field position (if not Pick 6's).

Martz doesn't mix the plays up even when the score is close, except, pretty obviously, when he's been ordered to by The Man Upstairs. Then, in a snotty hissy fit typical of egomaniacs, he says, "FINE!! HMMPHH!" You want me to run the ball, I WILL!!" And then Jones runs the ball 15 times in a row.

Martz is an egomaniac whose only objective is to run up huge yardage statistics, in order to boost his own reputation as a genius.

He must be fired, his offense junked, and Kitna gotten rid of, before the team can start to be good.

Yes, the defense sucks too. I thought that's what Marinelli was hired to take care of, or was that his wizard son-in-law??

Stanton was IR'ed before the season.

Of course he was, this was a decision made by Martz, Millen and maybe Marinelli, to guarantee there would be no public outcry roaring to give Stanton playing time, if the pre-selected indisputable unchallengeable team leader and starting QB, Jeebus Boy Kitna, did something like fire 5 INTS in a 51-14 loss.

Putting Stanton on IR made that impossible. Of course, it also made it impossible for Stanton to even attend team workouts, and delayed for at least another full year the time (if it ever arrives) when he'll actually be ready to play. But since Martz, Millen and maybe Marinelli are OK with Kitna, the pre-selected indisputable unchallengeable team leader and starting QB, Jeebus Boy Kitna, for several more seasons, what do they care? Stanton will wash out of the league before Kitna is done.

That sums it up pretty well