Mike

Martz Must Go!

It's time to say good-bye to The Mad Scientist! His complex playbook keeps a 1,000 yard rusher in Tatum Bell on the inactive list. The only people who seem to be confused by his play calling are wearing Honolulu Blue & Silver!

Martz is so impressed with himself that Kitna does not have the option to audible out of a bad play. You could bring in 11 guys off the street who could give us a better effort than we saw yesterday!

You lost me at Tatum Bell.

But seriously, I am starting to think that maybe Martz should go. His O just isn't a good fit for this defense and I doubt that Marinelli will change the defense. If the Lions' O plays ball-control, no turnovers style they might win half their games. I don't know if the Lions could ever get good enough pass blockers to support Martz's style.

Yes, Kevin Jones is doing sooo much better than Bell could do if given a chance!

We rush the ball like 4 times a game, so it doesn't matter if its Bell, Jones, or thewave84 at RB.

Of course, not bothering to run is part of the problem and, in my opinon, the primary reason why Martz should go.

But seriously, I am starting to think that maybe Martz should go. His O just isn't a good fit for this defense and I doubt that Marinelli will change the defense.
When the defense gives up points every time down the field, 3 yards and a cloud of dust ain't going to do it.

Yes, Kevin Jones is doing sooo much better than Bell could do if given a chance!

You don't suppose the Lions' porous offensive line along with Martz' love affair with the pass attack has anything to do with Jones and Bell having lower numbers, do you?

But seriously, I am starting to think that maybe Martz should go. His O just isn't a good fit for this defense and I doubt that Marinelli will change the defense. If the Lions' O plays ball-control, no turnovers style they might win half their games. I don't know if the Lions could ever get good enough pass blockers to support Martz's style.

When your defense gives up 28 points in the second quearter, it pretty tough to establish a run.

Minnesota punted the ball once all game....I don't think that was Martz's fault.

When your defense gives up 28 points in the second quearter, it pretty tough to establish a run.

Minnesota punted the ball once all game....I don't think that was Martz's fault.

Yes, I agree. In fact I posted the same thing in another thread. However, if you look at the season as a whole, not just yesterday, the Lions had more success in the games where they played their offense closer to the vest (Chicago, Denver, Tampa Bay).

Yes, I agree. In fact I posted the same thing in another thread. However, if you look at the season as a whole, not just yesterday, the Lions had more success in the games where they played their offense closer to the vest (Chicago, Denver, Tampa Bay).

True, but that was all thrown out the window after the 3rd and 14 from the 9 and Minnesota's 87 and 84 yard TD drives and the kickoff return. We can't handle Pat and Kevin Williams versus the run but we can keep them off the QB on a 1st down pass. I have no problem with Martz' strategy yesterday. In the 2nd quarter, we were getting 8 yards a play. Then once the game got out of hand because of our defense, Minnesota starting getting to our nimble QB. I love the running game as much as anybody but if you can't do it, why create 2nd and 3rd and longs.

True, but that was all thrown out the window after the 3rd and 14 from the 9 and Minnesota's 87 and 84 yard TD drives and the kickoff return. We can't handle Pat and Kevin Williams versus the run but we can keep them off the QB on a 1st down pass. I have no problem with Martz' strategy yesterday. In the 2nd quarter, we were getting 8 yards a play. Then once the game got out of hand because of our defense, Minnesota starting getting to our nimble QB. I love the running game as much as anybody but if you can't do it, why create 2nd and 3rd and longs.

Yes, I agree, it doesn't apply to yesterday's game. That one is on the defense there is nothing that the offense could have done, other than score a TD every time they got the ball, and even then it would have been a tie game. Same deal in the Philadelphia game. I am talking about some of the other games that they lost, they might have won one or two of them with a different offensive style.

Martz sure didn't help. 3 and out pass plays take about 30 seconds off the clock, the Defense needs to stay on the field for quite a long time, the longer they are on the field the worse they play.

After reading the first post I thought I was the only one who didn't see the Vikings run for over 200 yards on the Lions defense, but I'm glad I wasn't.

Unbelieveable Stat: The last time the Lions converted a 3rd down and 10 or more was Sept. 30th against the Bears. That's over 2 months without converting a 3rd and long. The Vikings did it on their very first series when a simple handoff to Chester Taylor on 3rd and 14 managed to move the chains!

Detroit does not fire coaches, everyone know that. But this is his last year on his contract and either the Lions will not exercise to resign him or he will tell them he's tired of the B.S. from this organization. I think there should be some more coaches fired or let go too. We are the worst tackling football team in the league. And lets not even talk about special teams.........

Unbelieveable Stat: The last time the Lions converted a 3rd down and 10 or more was Sept. 30th against the Bears. That's over 2 months without converting a 3rd and long. The Vikings did it on their very first series when a simple handoff to Chester Taylor on 3rd and 14 managed to move the chains!

TERRIBLE......JUST TERRIBLE.........

AND WHY WAS KITNA STILL IN THE GAME IN THE 4TH QUARTER?

instead of focusing on firing martz.. fire millen first of all !!!

this defense is playing TERRIBLE.. they do not finish tackles. if you are gonna play a zone defense you better be able to tackle. and they dont tackle

how can you run the ball when your defense gets you and keeps you behinf the eight ball every game?

TERRIBLE......JUST TERRIBLE.........

AND WHY WAS KITNA STILL IN THE GAME IN THE 4TH QUARTER?

Oh yes, if the gritty gutty savvy seasoned leader Kitna goes down, all is lost.

Well Martz isnt the best offensive play maker in the world. Lets face it gents, you dont just look at an opponent and say your not going to run because their 4 front men are good.

When you do that, your saying that your own offensive line sucks. And that the running back can not do his job.

Which is not the case for our guys. no im not saying they are the best in the league. But when all you do is pass the ball, then the defensive front four will not get tired.

Why does Martz continue with passing first option, why does he set Kitna up for failure everytime he drops back?

Its time for him to change his ways, and become a more efficient play caller.... run first and then pass.

If he cant do that, then its time for him to go.

It isn't Mike Martz fault that the General Manager hasn't put enough talent on the field, it isn't his fault that the O-Line is horrible, that the QB is Jon Kitna, or that the secondary can't stop anyone (fire Joe Barry!...hmm no)

He's done a fine job as offensive coordinator with the low level of talent available to him. And please, don't reply by saying Tatum Bell is a 1,000 yard rusher because everyone is a 1,000 yard rusher in Denver. Even Reuben Droughns.

It isn't Mike Martz fault that the General Manager hasn't put enough talent on the field, it isn't his fault that the O-Line is horrible, that the QB is Jon Kitna, or that the secondary can't stop anyone (fire Joe Barry!...hmm no)

He's done a fine job as offensive coordinator with the low level of talent available to him. And please, don't reply by saying Tatum Bell is a 1,000 yard rusher because everyone is a 1,000 yard rusher in Denver. Even Reuben Droughns.

Okay saying that there isnt enough talent to run the football is just insane. We have KJ who is a 1,000 yard back even after the injury, then add TJ Ducket who is a bruiser of a back, then add the former 260lbs DT turned into Full Back Jon Bradley. And your saying that these guys arent talented enough to run the ball??????

Sorry their buddy, but look at the facts. When you refuse to run the ball you will lose 9 out of 10 games.

Look at the Bronco's game we rushed 29 times for 130 yards. Which is the last game we won.

Look at the Cardinals game we rushed 8 times...... 8 freakin times against the Cardinals.... seriously no other team in the NFL has only rushed 8 times against the Cardinals..... oh and we lost

Look at the Giants game we rushed 11 times..... so far thats 19 rushing attempts in 2 games.... i hope your keeping up... and we lose that one as well.

Look at the Vikings game we rushed 7 times..... come on.... and we lost that one as well.

We are 32nd in the league..... with 3 1,000 YARD RUNNING BACKS ON OUR ROSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you need an offensive line to run the ball, but are line isnt that bad where we cant rush the ball.

Look at why teams run the ball, they run the ball to put pressure on the defense and to tire the front four down. And when you wear a team down by running like the Vikings did to our defense, then the passing attack goes wide open... like the Vikings did to us.

When you dont run the ball, you dont tire the defense out, and it becomes a sack fest for an offensive line that has been back peddling all day.

Not enough talent to run the ball is not the problem for our lack of any consistency.

Its play calling on the offense, its the shifting of every single player, every single down.

Its the going five wide when you know a defense is going to blitz you.

Its not using the TE as extra protection, when your right side is getting abused.

Its calling deep routes every single pass play, knowing that Kitna only has 2 seconds to throw the ball.

Its not running the dam ball to set up the pass.

Its because Martz is living in the past and cant get his head out of the 1999 St.Louis Rams ***....

Not enough talent...... no thats our problem in the 2ndary .... not in our offense.

as easy as it is to call for it...firing martz is not the answer either...

they have just spent the last two years building the club around his offense...

so you fire him and start all over?...

again?...

talk about not making any progress at all...

we all know there has to be some middle ground...

some modification of this all throw every play scenario he's using now...

even he didn't run it this wide open even when he was with the rams...

and he was the head coach then...

marshall faulk used to carry the ball 20 times a game...

not thirty, but he at least touched more than twice a half...

last game they almost broke the record for fewest attempts ever in history...

he is certainly not putting himself in the position to be hired as someone elses' head coach, now is he?...

i'm wondering if maybe he's gone round the bend...

he never was the most stable guy...

could be he's testing just how far he can push the envelope before it tears?...

or who blinks first?...

so how do you get to that middle ground?...

do roy and kj mutiny?...

will his good buddy rod assert his authority as head coach and demand more balance?...

and where are the gm and the owner in all this?...

it's obviously time for someone in this organization to step up and do something...

Marshall Faulk was the best in the game when he played for Martz. He'd run for 1,000 and catch for 1,000. Play calling isn't the problem. Talent is the problem. Martz used Faulk very effectively in St. Louis. We don't have a Marshall Faulk in our backfield. Kevin Jones is average at best. And he's coming off an injury where he seems to have lost a step this season while he's recovering.

Faulk from 1998-2001 average around 2,200 yards rushing and receiving with nearly 20 TD's a year. Martz knows how to use a running back. Before Jones injury last season, Jones had 1,200 yards rushing and receiving and 8 TD's in 12 games.

Fire Millen.. I think we need to keep Mike around one more season so we dont rebuild this offense again. Hopefully a new GM can get some players in here that Rod thinks we need. I trust his philosopy in getting in players that want to play. After last year he got rid of some bad apples and he will again after this season.

Fire Millen and see what happens in the offseason, If things dont get better after next season they a new coaching staff may be in order.