Motor City Sonics

I really couldn't care less

This makes me very sad. But I really don't care about the Wings, the Leafs or the NHL very much anymore.

I really don't know why?

The lockout?

Too many teams?

Not enough games against natural or historical rivals?

Steve Yzerman's retirement?

The trophy for teams in Anaheim and Tampa Bay?

No good fighting anymore?

I'm sure it's all of the above.

I know the Wings are very good with probably one of the best defenses they have ever had (sorry, defences, LOL). The Wings have as much chance as any other team of winning the Stanley Cup.

Maybe I will get excited when the playoffs start, but this is making me sad.

This makes me very sad. But I really don't care about the Wings, the Leafs or the NHL very much anymore.

I really don't know why?

The lockout?

Too many teams?

Not enough games against natural or historical rivals?

No good fighting anymore?

I'm sure it's all of the above.

I know the Wings are very good with probably one of the best defenses they have ever had (sorry, defences, LOL). The Wings have as much chance as any other team of winning the Stanley Cup.

Maybe I will get excited when the playoffs start, but this is making me sad.

I'm going through the same thing with the Pistons.

PS: Thank you for using "couldn't care less." When people say I could care less, it drives me bonkers.

Yeah, I've lost enthusiasm for the Wings since the lockout. I think a large part of that is the fact that ESPN doesn't show games anymore. Their coverage is such a big part of sports, and when the league shunned them, it was almost like they were asking the casual fan to stop paying attention.

Yeah, I've lost enthusiasm for the Wings since the lockout. I think a large part of that is the fact that ESPN doesn't show games anymore. Their coverage is such a big part of sports, and when the league shunned them, it was almost like they were asking the casual fan to stop paying attention.

Well, they seem to be gearing the team only toward the casual fan and the core fan be damned!

The NHL will not listen to it's biggest fan. And I think it's costing them because most of my friends and co-workers are the same way right now.

Every 3rd year the Wings don't play Toronto, Montreal, Boston or the Rangers? That's just f'ed up.

And the Flyers have the dirtiest team I have seen in 20 years and no one ever retaliates on the ice anymore. Boring.

But I guess Gary knows better than life-long hockey fans, right?

The times I've watched hockey games, I've been pleasantly surprised at how good the game is. The quality seems to really have improved.

But, like you, I just don't care anymore. Part of it may be that there is SO much to watch now that there are other things I'd rather see and there is only so much time in the day.

Also, I have ZERO interest in watching half the teams in the league. As I've said before, I'd rather watch the Wings play the worst original six team ten times in a row than watch them play Anaheim or Atlanta or Nashville or Columbus once. For me, there are too many teams I don't give a squirt about.

I hear you, and I've went through the same thing. I played a load of Hockey and used to watch every game myself. I attended the 1987 draft at the JLA in fact (Yves Racine). I lost interest in the late 90's totally, and still can't get it back. I think part of it, was my perception that the Wings were buying players up, and all these new lame teams that they kept bringing in.

Plus the Hockey was getting worse, the NJ Devils trap killed the game. ESPN was in the process of dumping Hockey, they pretty much don't bother covering it at all anymore. I hate the fact that they've taken the warrior/toughness stuff out of the game as well, now guys just cheap shot with the sticks.

While I still follow the Wings and the NHL and live in hockey-mad Vancouver, there has been a big drop off in interest for me as well. A big part of it is "been there, seen that". June 7, 1997 is probably my happiest memory as a sports fan, or at least tied with events of October 1984, as for years and years and years I had wondered it would be like at the precise moment that The Captain hoisted the Cup for the first time. Now even another Wings Cup victory wouldn't be as much of a thrill for me as seeing the Lions even make the NFC Championship game. Then there's the arrogance shown by players and owners in pissing on us with the strike/lockout. Finally, the league's delusion of grandeur, from the idiocy of overexpansion and wonky scheduling and jacked-up ticket prices. But two things that keep me around the game are the blanket coverage of the sport up here (some type of NHL game is on on the little TVs of almost every coffee shop or pizza place in this town, not to mention the draft, world juniors, hotstove talks, etc. ) and the improved more entertaining post-strike quality of play - the banging has been out of the league since the early '90s, but the Trap era was the worst of both worlds with slow action + lack of physicality.

Alot of my lost interest comes from the fact that I only get to watch games on Versus once in a great while. What also plays into it is the fact that the Red Wings have been so good for so long. They have finished either first or second in their division since the 1991-1992 season.

This is the one that gets to me. Teams that are not that good winning a playoff with a completely different set of rules from the regular season.

This is the one that gets to me. Teams that are not that good winning a playoff with a completely different set of rules from the regular season.

Anaheim and Tampa Bay weren't good teams? Do you even watch hockey?

Anaheim had 110 points last year, tied for 3rd in the league behind Detroit and Ottawa with 113 points.

The year Tampa Bay won they were 1st in the East with 106 points and 2nd overall in the league behind Detoit's 109 points.

Those were hardly "not very good teams".

A completely different set of rules? Say what? And Anaheim was a good team last year, as much as I hate to admit it. They were the pre-season pick of a lot of people. I love the Wings as much as I ever have. Always will. They are far and away my favourite sports team. People that don't like watching the Wings shouldn't be watching hockey. The way they can pass and skate is amazing to watch. I'd much rather watch them play this way than watch a bunch of goons on ice like some other teams (Flyers). If I lived in the Detroit area and had the money I would be at every single game.

I didn't say that Anaheim or Tampa Bay weren't good like the other guy. I just don't think that Tampa Bay and Anaheim represent "hockey" to me. Yeah, I know a lot of northerners relocate to Tampa, but a lot of them are senior citizens. And Southern California could not care less about hockey (or many other sports).

This really hurt for me. Also I lost a lot of interest when teams started moving. Plus now I'm so much more busy so I don't have the time to watch all the games. I now just follow the team by reading and start watching as things heat up for the playoffs. I miss Stevie Y.

Anaheim and Tampa Bay weren't good teams? Do you even watch hockey?

Anaheim had 110 points last year, tied for 3rd in the league behind Detroit and Ottawa with 113 points.

The year Tampa Bay won they were 1st in the East with 106 points and 2nd overall in the league behind Detoit's 109 points.

Those were hardly "not very good teams".

Yes I do watch hockey, and they were not that good. "Not that good" is not the same thing as "not very good." Neither of those are the same thing as bad. Please don't twist my words to suit your needs.

Anahiem lived off of a big interference driven defenseman and a hot goalie, the exact same thing a bad Edmonton team used the year before to get to the finals. Yes, I said bad, that Edmonton team was bad. Somewhere around a 7th seed and beat a not very good 6th seed in the WCF.

It's a completely different game in the playoffs. It's not fun to watch because it changes the rules to cater upsets.

The regular season is too long and too meaningless for me to care too much about the Red Wings until right before the playoffs. Even then, too many teams make the playoffs, playoff hockey is still a totally different game compared to the regular season, and too many mediocre regular season teams advance far into the playoffs as a result of the game being called different than during the regular season.

Yes I do watch hockey, and they were not that good. "Not that good" is not the same thing as "not very good." Neither of those are the same thing as bad. Please don't twist my words to suit your needs.

Anahiem lived off of a big interference driven defenseman and a hot goalie, the exact same thing a bad Edmonton team used the year before to get to the finals. Yes, I said bad, that Edmonton team was bad. Somewhere around a 7th seed and beat a not very good 6th seed in the WCF.

It's a completely different game in the playoffs. It's not fun to watch because it changes the rules to cater upsets.

Anaheim was one of the best teams in the league (3rd overall) the entire year and carried it through the playoffs. They beat the #1 seed in both the West and East in the playoffs. Yes, they were THAT good. To say they were the beneficiary because the rules change in the playoffs or they rode a hot goalie completely discredits their regular season.

Edmonton and Calgary both rode hot goalies and benefited from the playoff "rules" to reach the Finals, I'll give you that. But Anaheim, Tampa Bay and Carolina were all one of the best 2 or 3 teams during the regular season and carried it through the playoffs.

Too many teams in too many cities that don't care about hockey, and therefore, I don't care about them. Gary Bettman is doing his best Isiah Thomas act on what was one of my favorite leagues. I'm glad they've finally come to their senses and decided to make every team in the NHL play each other at least once every season, but it needs to be more. They need to remove several teams, then set it up so every team plays each other at least four times every season. I don't care about Columbus or Nashville, and I want to see Toronto and Montreal play Detroit a lot more. The NHL kind of sucks now.

It will be very difficult to retract teams. Once you expand you are kind of stuck with that many teams unless there are bankruptcies and financial hardships that dictate retraction. Any attempt to retract and the league would have a battle on their hands with the player's union. Unions in sports have just become too strong and wield too much power.

Ideally a 24 team league with four divisions would be a lot better. The talent level for the league as a whole would rise and you could dump some of the non-traditional hockey markets. It's not going to happen though.

Alot of my lost interest comes from the fact that I only get to watch games on Versus once in a great while. What also plays into it is the fact that the Red Wings have been so good for so long. They have finished either first or second in their division since the 1991-1992 season.

+1 on this.. we both live down here in the Tampa area but I still follow them on the internet..they came down here for pre-season, but the starters stayed home..when they do come into town, the St. Pete Ice Forum looks like the Joe! same way for the Pistons and Tigers, but Senior citizens are not the only ones moving to Florida..the move to have teams play each other may spark the interest again for hockey..

Minnesota made the Stanley Cup in 1991 with a losing record and a #8 seed......and I believe 7-8 teams in NHL history have made the Finals with a losing record.

But in the end....you are correct. The postseason NHL is still quite a bit different. Similar to MLB. The NBA and the NFL are the closest to the regular season imo.

the sport of hockey is alive and well...

the nhl is not...

look to the "suits"...

the player "suits" (including their union)...

the owner "suits" (including their comissioner and board of governors)...

and the media "suits"...

it's nothing personal...

it's just business...

and that's the problem, isn't it?

I hardly ever miss a Wings game. I'm afraid if you don't follow 'em any more you probably weren't an NHL fan in the first place. I've had a Center Ice subscription for years and watch teams other than the Wings.

The game isn't at its best these days.....I think the rule changes, while opening up the game, speed and flow somewhat, have also created problems. Specifically, penalties. Stuff gets called all the time that have no material impact on the game yet you can lose by these type of calls very easily.

Also, people aren't jazzed by the Blue Jackets, Preds, etc etc that the Wings seem to play all the time. Unfortunately that's the way conference scheduling works these days but there are plans for things to change next year.

The salary cap has also had an impact. We've got one great line but nothing like the past where we had guys like Larionov centering the third line and Luc Robitalle and Brent Hull playing on one of the lesser lines. The first year after the lockout, the payroll was slashed nearly in half in Detroit.

I never really got behind the Hull-Robitaille-Larionov line. I loved that Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Fedorov were around for that 2002 championship, but it didn't have the same "Our Team" feel that '97 and '98 did. The mid to late-90s teams were hearttbroken together in 95 and 96, so to see them win together was sweet.

I'm starting to get more excited now that the Wings have a reason to worry about Chicago and St. Louis again. The Wing-Preds rivalry was never as strong as it has been with the Blues or Hawks.