The Incredible Story of the 1968 Detroit Tigers

Edited by Mark Pattison and David Raglin

400 pages; 8 1/2" x 11"; 50 B&W photos

Paperback

$24.95 $19.96

Available: April 2008

978-1-934186-16-9

Description:

In 1968, the “Year of the Pitcher,” the sock-it-to-’em Detroit Tigers were far and away the American League leader in home runs—and in thrilling come-from-behind wins. Not only did they master the American League, but—with the daring switch of outfielder Mickey Stanley to shortstop for the Fall Classic—the Tigers came back from a three games to one deficit in the World Series to defeat the heavily favored St. Louis Cardinals and their Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Gibson in Game 7, becoming only the third team in World Series history to trail three games to one and come back to win.

Sock it to ’Em Tigers: The Incredible Story of the 1968 Detroit Tigers celebrates this legendary team like no book ever has, complete with many photos and artifacts from the time. A project of the Detroit chapter of the Society for American Baseball Research, this volume gathers the collective efforts of more than sixty SABR members and friends of the non-profit research society and features profiles of every player, coach, broadcaster, and front-office member connected to that great Tigers squad. Included are Hall of Famers Al Kaline and Eddie Mathews, thirty-one-game winner Denny McLain, World Series Most Valuable Player Mickey Lolich, and beloved broadcasters Ernie Harwell and George Kell, plus Norm Cash, Bill Freehan, Willie Horton, Gates Brown, Jim Northrup, and Dick McAuliffe, the longtime core of a Tigers team that played hard on the field—and sometimes off. Forty years later, that team is still the most beloved in Tiger history.

About The Authors:

Mark Pattison is a career journalist and the media editor at Catholic News Service. He is the co-author of Detroit Tigers Lists and More: Runs, Hits, and ERAs as well as the editor of Tigers Stripes and E-Mayo Flash, the publications of the Mayo Smith Society, an international organization of Tigers fans.

David Raglin is a mathematical statistician at the U.S. Census Bureau. He is the co-author of Detroit Tigers Lists and More: Runs, Hits, and ERAs, as well as the writer-sabermetrician of Tigers Stripes and E-Mayo Flash.

If the Tigers came back from being down 3 to 1, to win the World Series, I'd have to burn a couple of cars. Good news is that most cars up north need it.

Cantor's book didn't wow me at all. I was pretty unimpressed to be honest. It wasn't bad, but just not anything overly valuable either. I was around in Jan 1969. I too wish I experienced it. Thank God for video and audio tape. Part of me feels like I kind of did - at least a tiny bit.

I was fifteen in 1968. I had followed the Tigers since age 8. What a great way to start out as a fan. A decent team with a near miss in 61 that I vaguely remembered, followed by another near miss in 67 (that hurt) followed by 68. High school meant taking a back seat to the O's followed by redemption my freshman year of college (72).