syrett4

Time to Start Researching the Draft

So who are the best shutdown corners? Best LB, DL and OL in this years draft? I'm thinking the Lions may only have one or two more wins left drafting somewhere in the high teens.

At least I feel now they just need to upgrade their talent instead of filling major holes. That in itself is a different approach than what they have needed in the past.

Well you can narrow it down a bit. Who is the top receiver coming out next year, he will be their first pick. Then check out projected 5th round picks, that's who they will take in the second round, and deactivate for the year.

Best DB: Malcolm Jenkins, THE Ohio State University (assuming he declares)

Best LB: J Lehman, Illinois

Best DL: Glen Dorsey, LSU

Best OL: Jake Long, Michigan

Second Best DB: Antoine Cason, Arizona

Second Best LB: Dan Connor, Penn State

Second Best DL: Quentin Groves, Auburn

Second Best OL: Sam Baker, USC

Actually the best player in the draft: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

As sad as it may sound Ranger, you might as well post the best WRs available, given Millen's draft history...

What do you guys think about the DB out of Kansas, Aqib Talib...or something like that. He seems to be a pretty good cover receiver, but can he come up and hit someone like the Cover 2 defense dictates?

Why are we even bothering to discuss this issue. As past history as showed us............Millen will screw it up.

Millen has made some solid draft choices, it's just the busts have been so high profile they've overshadowed it, I actually have a decent amount of confidence in him in the draft, it's every other aspect of football that is terrifying.

I think at this point I'd probably put the Lions needs as;

CB

OT

OG

OLB

QB (unless you have confidence in Drew Stanton, which considering they used a 2nd round pick on him they had better)

Millen has made some solid draft choices,

Where they have been drafting the last few years, he should have been able to build a solid competitive team, and he has failed miserably.

CB

S

Teams do not respect the secondary at all.

RT

G

C

Unfortunally with the contract of Ravioli I dont see this position as something they will try to upgrade, didnt Backus sign a long term contract before the season? There is NO depth anywere on the line at all.

PR

KR

We need someone that can put the offense in a good position to start a drive.

TE

Green Bay weakness this year was over the middle. This is something that would help against other teams as well. a playmaking TE

Pass rushing is at a premium, the top pass rushers will go off early and often. The Lions would be fortunate to draft Vernon Gholston or Derrick Harvey in the first round, and an Antoine Cason or Jake Ikeguonu in the second. Cason is ideal because of his return ability, but he needs to run well because the knock is on his deep speed. Most of the corners in this draft have that question mark, so there will be plenty of corners falling. Mike Jenkins of S.Florida is the top corner, with big size/speed credentials, but he's been suspended from the team, so he's a question mark regarding the interview process. It's a deep year for LB's, with Conner, Rivers, Adibi *Lauranitis will be top 10 and #1 LB if he comes out*, Marcus Freeman and Shawn Crable all first round candidates. Its also a good year for OT's and TE's, and theres some good depth at QB. I'm not crazy about the top end depth of the draft, but there is better depth in the middle rounds than last year. This draft is not strong speedwise, which is another weakness of the Lions. They desperately need to find a Truman Williams-type speedy special teams ace type in the late rounds. He's also turning into a nice corner, so the Lions need to unturn some stones there.

Malcolm Jenkins should be a first rounder if he comes out, but there are question marks about him. He needs to run well at the combine, but he has great size and would fit the Lions defense well.

What do you guys think about the DB out of Kansas, Aqib Talib...or something like that. He seems to be a pretty good cover receiver, but can he come up and hit someone like the Cover 2 defense dictates?

Solid corner, I need a time on him. This is a corner group that has very good size, but we'll learn more about them at the combine. You spelled his name correctly, btw.

pyrotigers,

Solid drafts? what the heck are you talking about?

Look at this year's draft.

- A second overall pick we couldn't even get on the field for most of the game until this week.

- A quarterback they had no troubles putting on IR.

- Alma-Francis - he's been consistent. Consistently on the inactive list. And the embarrassing thing was that was predictable!

I remember ranting about our draft during the spring. The Lions have done NOTHING to make me feel better about what they did in that draft.

And let's look at others....

White - good selection

Bell - inactive these days

Duckett - probably a good addition but we'd never know because they've hardly played him to day so.

Foster - you just don't get many good offensive linemen either through free agency or trades these days. Teams just don't get rid of good linemen. They protect them with gold.

Mulitalo- nothing great

Alexander - playing

A.J. Davis - gone

Manny Ramirez

Ramzee Robinson - did we really draft a guy named Ramzee?

Sullivan - eh, we need a second string QB I guess.

This team hasn't been too sparkling with its decisions in recent years either.

pyrotigers,

Solid drafts? what the heck are you talking about?

Look at this year's draft.

- A second overall pick we couldn't even get on the field for most of the game until this week.

- A quarterback they had no troubles putting on IR.

- Alma-Francis - he's been consistent. Consistently on the inactive list. And the embarrassing thing was that was predictable!

I remember ranting about our draft during the spring. The Lions have done NOTHING to make me feel better about what they did in that draft.

And let's look at others....

White - good selection

Bell - inactive these days

Duckett - probably a good addition but we'd never know because they've hardly played him to day so.

Foster - you just don't get many good offensive linemen either through free agency or trades these days. Teams just don't get rid of good linemen. They protect them with gold.

Mulitalo- nothing great

Alexander - playing

A.J. Davis - gone

Manny Ramirez

Ramzee Robinson - did we really draft a guy named Ramzee?

Sullivan - eh, we need a second string QB I guess.

This team hasn't been too sparkling with its decisions in recent years either.

Are you talking about the draft, or trades and free agency? I don't understand your post at all. Why complain about the last pick of the draft's name? He's on the practice squad, I believe. The Lions have other team's 3d round pick on their practice squad, which should show the quality of the past draft. There wasn't many players drafted on Sunday last year that made their teams. This year's draft isn't much better. Can you judge a draft after one year? No. You can't judge either Alama Francis or Stanton yet. Or even Alexander, who is starting out of necessity.

Is there any reason to believe Stanton or IAF will ever contribute?

I can understand why, earlier in the season when the D-line was clicking, Marinelli would keep IAF on the sideline. But Favre barely got touched yesterday.

I can also understand why they would draft Stanton and hide him on IR for the season, but Kitna is what we think he is - a guy who is good enough to make about half the plays that are there, but not good enough to avoid disaster when the plays aren't there. We can't feel good about next season if Kitna is back as the expected starter.

Possible Free Agent targets:

Danby lb Cardinals

Trufant cb Seahawks

Starks OT Steelers

You've got to fill as many needs as possible with free agency before you develop a draft strategy.

I have been following the Lions my whole life. Over 40 years, and as a young kid I would see the frustration of my Father and Grandfather as they watch this team. Then as I got older I joined in on their frustration. I have gotten to the point over the years where I just really don't care anymore. Do I still watch them...sure, but I don't get upset anymore. I love this message board, and it is fun to throw out ideas and see how everyone else feels. However, when it comes to the Lions, as long as the Fords own this team, it is nothing but a waste of time and, for most of you, frustrated energy.

Cruzer,

The point is with most of our decisions very few people did anything. I started with the draft and then went to our other selections. You couldn't figure that out?

And about not being able to judge a draft immediately - you are right. However, with our draft position, we should be able to get more people of immediate impact than we did. Go back to your posts about Alama-Francis earlier this year. When I said they picked up a project player that wouldn't see the time of day this season you were posting he'd play and I think you mentioned he may start. This far based on your projections he's been a failure one year into his tenure.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/s...=48192&page=15

I can't find the posts but you called the Ramirez selection a home run. Wouldn't a home run be doing something on this team if he was of any merit? And don't tell me there are no quality players past a given round. I think we watched a FREE AGENT running back at Green Bay run all over us yesterday? There are picks out there. Good teams that can determine talent find them. Green Bay found a guy just waving his hands saying "what about me?" Actually I think I heard they picked him up after someone dumped him from their practice squad? That's even more impressive.

We had a chance to pick not one, not two but THREE people of impact with this draft. We got one that we don't use enough of. With the other two we were more than happy to drop him into oblivion and the other isn't good enough to even suit up. And that is a guy you said was going to start. I think it's fair to say for the short term the Lions really blew that draft. And you could see it the night of the opening day.

What was it three of the first 70 picks? I think it was better than that. When you are a team like the Lions with immediate needs that can be easily upgraded because the talent at those spots isn't very good in the first place and can't do it with but one of those three picks, you have problems. Serious problems.

Again, two of them won't see the field all year. One (Alma-Francis) that read as a bad pick at the point we selected him. He clearly wasn't going to be a player of any merit this year. God, we love wasting draft picks.

I'm still trying to figure out the reasoning of IRing Stanton. I'll never figure that one out.

He wouldn't get snaps? What if Kitna is hurt and needs a day off practice? He would've gotten some snaps over the course of the season in practice. Right now he gets none. The offense is too complicated for him to grasp anyway? A lot easier to grasp if you are a third string QB and realize there is a chance you may get out there. And you physically may take some snaps during practice. And if you don't heck, you realize you might so your focus has to be greater than sitting on the sideline reading a play book all day. And Martz will be gone if not this year the next anyway. And the argument about how demanding the system is will lose water. He'll have another system to learn. We lost a year with the kid. How that can't be seen by most and how the Lions spun this as positive was a complete joke. We could've gotten someone of substance that could've helped us RIGHT NOW. Instead that pick was so unimportant to our immediate future that we first dropped it down to lower in the draft, picked a quarterback and then IRd him the first chance we got. Brilliant.

It's a deep year for LB's, with Conner, Rivers, Adibi *Lauranitis will be top 10 and #1 LB if he comes out*, Marcus Freeman and Shawn Crable all first round candidates.

Lauranitis I think is 50/50 on coming out. His dad seems to think he'll stay for his senior year. I don't think he is any better than AJ Hawk at the same point of their collegiate careers and AJ stayed.

Freeman - well I don't think Freeman should because I think he'll be a second day pick. If he stays for another season, he'll drastically improve his draft status.

You left J Lehman off your list of LBs. The guy just impresses me whenever I watch him.

The Lions drafts under Millen have been abysmal, especially noting the value of the picks the Lions had. 3/6 top 10 picks were complete busts, the Lions have done terribly with the depth picks as well, they seem to reach quite a bit. Many times I think other GM's talk players up in the hopes that Millen will take them.

2001 - decent draft using the old personel department inherited.

1 18 Jeff Backus OT Michigan

2 50 Dominic Raiola C Nebraska

2 61 Shaun Rogers DT Texas

5 148 Scotty Anderson WR Grambling

5 149 Mike McMahon QB Rutgers

6 173 Jason Glenn OLB Texas A&M

2002 - Kalimba Edwards is the prize

1 3 3 Joey Harrington Oregon QB

2 3 35 Kalimba Edwards South Carolina DE

3 3 68 Andre Goodman South Carolina DB

4 36 134 John Taylor Montana State LB

5 3 138 John Owens Notre Dame TE

6 3 175 Chris Cash USC DB

7 3 214 Luke Staley Brigham Young RB

7 42 253 Matt Murphy Maryland TE

7 48 259 Victor Rogers Colorado T

2003- Boss Bailey and Cory Redding

1 2 2 Charles Rogers Michigan State WR

2 2 34 Boss Bailey Georgia LB

3 2 66 Cory Redding Texas DE

4 2 99 Artose Pinner Kentucky RB

5 2 137 Terrence Holt North Carolina State DB

5 9 144 James Davis West Virginia DB

6 2 175 David Kircus Grand Valley State WR

7 2 216 Ben Johnson Wisconsin T

7 6 220 Daniel Adams Cincinnati DB

7 22 236 Brandon Drumm Colorado RB

7 46 260 Travis Anglin Memphis WR

2004- Best Millen draft, 2 good players 3 scrubs

1 7 7 Roy Williams Texas WR

1 30 30 Kevin Jones Virginia Tech RB

2 5 37 Teddy Lehman Oklahoma LB

3 10 73 Keith Smith McNeese State DB

5 8 140 Alex Lewis Wisconsin LB

6 7 172 Kelly Butler Purdue T

2005 - Stanley Wilson is the prize, enough said.

1 10 10 Mike Williams USC WR

2 5 37 Shaun Cody USC DT

3 8 72 Stanley Wilson Stanford DB

5 9 145 Dan Orlovsky Connecticut QB

6 10 184 Bill Swancutt Oregon State DE

6 32 206 Jonathan Goddard Marshall DE

2006 - Ernie Sims

1 9(9) Ernie Sims OLB Florida State

2 8(40) Daniel Bullocks S Nebraska

3 10(74) Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin

5 8(141) Jonathan Scott T Texas

6 10(179) Dee McCann CB West Virginia

7 9(217) Fred Matua OG USC

7 39(247) Anthony Cannon ILB Tulane

2007 - Gerald Alexander and Calvin Johnson

1 2 (2) Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech

2 11 (43) Drew Stanton QB Michigan State

2 26 (58) Ikaika Alama-Francis DE Hawaii

2 29 (61) Gerald Alexander S Boise State

4 6 (105) A.J. Davis CB North Carolina State

4 18 (117) Manuel Ramirez G Texas Tech

5 21 (158) Johnny Baldwin OLB Alabama A&M

7* 45 (255) Ramzee Robinson DB University of Alabama

Compare at http://www.nfl.com/draft/history, with other NFL teams, that have all on average drafted lower.

I'm still trying to figure out the reasoning of IRing Stanton. I'll never figure that one out.

He wouldn't get snaps? What if Kitna is hurt and needs a day off practice? He would've gotten some snaps over the course of the season in practice. Right now he gets none. The offense is too complicated for him to grasp anyway? A lot easier to grasp if you are a third string QB and realize there is a chance you may get out there. And you physically may take some snaps during practice. And if you don't heck, you realize you might so your focus has to be greater than sitting on the sideline reading a play book all day. And Martz will be gone if not this year the next anyway. And the argument about how demanding the system is will lose water. He'll have another system to learn. We lost a year with the kid. How that can't be seen by most and how the Lions spun this as positive was a complete joke. We could've gotten someone of substance that could've helped us RIGHT NOW. Instead that pick was so unimportant to our immediate future that we first dropped it down to lower in the draft, picked a quarterback and then IRd him the first chance we got. Brilliant.

They had to IR him. He got injured, they needed a backup, and he was out for the whole preseason where he could get the reps. It was the right thing to do. He has to have time to be healthy, get the reps, and have a steady development cycle; which should be at least two years. They drafted Francis as a talented project, so they weren't expecting big things early on, and the same with Ramirez. Ramirez played in an offense where they were shotgun 100% of the time. The Lions rarely use the shotgun. He has a learning curve, but those three, plus Calvin and Alexander could make this a special draft.

They did not have to IR him. He would've been the third QB. Didn't we have O'Sullivan quarterbacking the entire last couple exhibition games if I remember correctly? You mentioned about a few things we need Stanton to do - He has to have time to be healthy, get the reps, and have a steady development cycle; which should be at least two years. IRing him made two of those things not possible. I haven't read a thing about him, but we were given the impression he'd be healthy within 4-6 weeks. I'm guessing Kitna's missing reps right now in practice. He could be getting a few of those. Obviously O'Sullivan would get most, but Stanton getting a few wouldn't have been a bad thing.

Alama-Francis - you don't use draft picks that high to get project players when you have great great immediate needs that can be filled right now. Weren't you expecting big things?

Ramirez - What does the shotgun thing have to do with a learning curve? You still have to know how to block. Maybe I can give you that a tiny bit, but if he was anything of merit, he'd have no troubles sneaking in for playing time with our offensive line.