Shinma

Packers @ Lions, Thanksgiving post-game.

We saw it differently, then. I saw the Packers let their guard down for a quarter or so, then when they needed to get yards and points, they did. Props to the Lions for not mailing it in when they were down big, but a good team would not have let themselves get down so much, especially when they let big oportunities of their own go by the wayside early on. The bad habits are creeping back into the Lions: the stupid penalties; the perfectly thrown, yet dropped passes; the missed tackles; the blown coverages, etc.

Admittedly I wasn't fully vested in watching the whole game but I was pleased that they were able to put 26 points up against the Packers.

I listened to the 1st quarter on the radio on my way to visit family & I knew that not getting TDs on those 1st two possessions was gonna cost us.

The Lions were never really in the game. Favre completed TWENTY passes in a row on them! Give me a break.

this is the same thing that happened a lot last year (and the year before, etc etc), the other team blows the doors off the Lions because their defense can't stop them. Then the Lions come back and score a couple tds late to make it look closer than it is. And in the end, when the other team needs a score late in the game to put it away, they get it easily.

Why? Because the Lions aren't as good as these other teams. When they aren't getting turnovers, they're getting beaten.

This isn't their best team in 10 years and it certainly isn't their best team in 20 years.

I don't even know if this team is as good as the Mooch team that went 6-10. They're about the same if you ask me.

BTW: Is Shaun Rogers slowing down now that it's the end of the season? he was nowhere to be found yesterday.

1. Two field goals on possible TD drives and a third possession that had us at the 32 but Kitna was sacked out of field goal range. That's a lot of potential points left out there against a Farve led team.

2. Kitna doing his typical moving into the pressure instead of feeling it and rolling out of it. The line wasn't as bad as it looked. He had time to throw and many times had plenty of opportunity to thorw it away or hit a receiver. He just dosen't throw it. And if he doesn't he goes from serviceable to a part of the problem. The line hasn't been good for his two years, but I would dare say of the sacks Kitna takes about a third of them really are his fault.

3. The passing game stunk for 3 1/2 quarters - If Kitna led them properly, the receivers dropped them. Other times Kitna threw behind them (and that's getting to be a huge problem). A few other times a little more air on balls that should've been to the corner of the endzone would've helped. And when the QB and receivers connect, it would help if one of our idiot linemen didn't have a chop block.

4. Farve - the best and we saw why again today. He feels pressure, he rolls out of it - not into it. He has a quick read pass and he makes the throw - not holds on to it. The Lions couldn't get pressure on him because he did what he was supposed to do and did it pretty darn efficiently.

5. The defense - all would've been forgiven if they could've stopped the Packers on that last possession and got the Lions the ball back with anything with 2 minutes or more left in the game. They couldn't. Missed tackles. Hitting high instead of hitting and wrapping. We saw a ton of that today.

6. Hanson - Most days with field goals of the distance he hit, getting three of four would be a good day. He got them all. He was the only reason we had any shot at the end.

Just a question here. The Lions score to make it a 15-point game. Make the extra point and there's an offsides penalty. They take the extra point and keep it at 8. Why not take the penalty and go for two right now? You need two sometime right? Well right now you have the ball at the 1 instead of the 2. I know it looks bad if you fail but at least now you know you'll need two more possessions instead. I think I may have thought about taking that penalty and going for two.

Great summation. I thought we should have went for two then also.

Kitna was a statue, he had no pocket presence whatsoever and I agree he caused alot of his own problems.

We ran the ball very well with the single back set and 3 wides and a TE or 4 wides, I agree.

The chop block killed us completely. . . and it was totally unnecessary not to mention dirty.

I'll give the Packers credit for this game. They are a really good team. They are better than the Lions. It doesn't make the Lions a bad team.

I agree about the 2-point conversion after the offsides penalties. I was saying that at the time as well. But considering how weak the Lions are at covering kick-offs, it might have been a good idea to take the penalty on the kick so that Hanson could kick a touchback.

Haven't you heard, Martz is a genius and smarter than any other offensive minds in football. How dare you challenge the great and powerful Wizard of Ozfense.

Martz is much more a Mad Scientist than a genius. He basically ignored Calvin Johnson for the first 10 games (injury excuse). Then, with some apparent prodding from WCF, he sends almost every pass in his direction against the Packers.

The Lions might as well switch Mike Furrey back to Safety if he is not going to be involved in the offense. Maybe he could have caught some of Brett Favre's passes.

Do you guys realize that the Packers are 10-1? They beat 9 other teams too, some of them by a lot more than they beat the Lions. Are the OC's of all those 9 teams idiots too? Also, the one team that they lost to was a team that the Lions beat twice.

are we forgetting 1991?

Any of Bobby Ross's teams or even Wayne Fontes teams would have crushed these guys.

TheWave,

1) That is a good point about kicking the ball into the endzone. I was so preoccupied with the fact that we'd be at the 1 if we took the penalty on the conversion that I never thought about that. And that really was an issue (returns) in that contest and for much of the season.

2) The Packers are a great team with a great quarterback. You are right. But when you play great teams your weaknesses are often exposed.

Much of our posts are also made with the venom of once being 6-2 and watching it go to 6-5 - at least it's for me. Most of it is stuff I absolutely 100% agree with, but maybe said a bit harsher because of the situation right now. I never thought this team was as good as their record reflected and that's why I kept posting I was going to enjoy it as long as it lasted. But even saying that, it hurts a bit to see what you thought was probably going to happen, happen. And not just for the first time, but for many of us one of many times in the last 30 years. I've seen the Tigers win it all and come close a few other times. I've seen the Pistons win it three times. I can't even recall how many times the Wings have won or come darn close. I even saw the Michigan Panthers win a USFL championship. I'm now 38 and the Lions are the only ones not winning a title. And really I can't tell you how many years I went in thinking we had a team that could contend.

One thing about the Packers' record. Just as the Lions could say they can only beat who they played earlier in the year when people said stuff about their schedule, they now have to say the same now when they face the better teams. I've never been one to blame or credit the schedule for success or failure. I just see a game and see what I see that game. Just as I'm not going to discredit us for beating bad teams, I'm not letting them off the hook for losing to good teams - especially after they started 6-2.

TheWave,

1) That is a good point about kicking the ball into the endzone. I was so preoccupied with the fact that we'd be at the 1 if we took the penalty on the conversion that I never thought about that. And that really was an issue (returns) in that contest and for much of the season.

2) The Packers are a great team with a great quarterback. You are right. But when you play great teams your weaknesses are often exposed.

Much of our posts are also made with the venom of once being 6-2 and watching it go to 6-5 - at least it's for me. Most of it is stuff I absolutely 100% agree with, but maybe said a bit harsher because of the situation right now. I never thought this team was as good as their record reflected and that's why I kept posting I was going to enjoy it as long as it lasted. But even saying that, it hurts a bit to see what you thought was probably going to happen, happen. And not just for the first time, but for many of us one of many times in the last 30 years. I've seen the Tigers win it all and come close a few other times. I've seen the Pistons win it three times. I can't even recall how many times the Wings have won or come darn close. I even saw the Michigan Panthers win a USFL championship. I'm now 38 and the Lions are the only ones not winning a title. And really I can't tell you how many years I went in thinking we had a team that could contend.

One thing about the Packers' record. Just as the Lions could say they can only beat who they played earlier in the year when people said stuff about their schedule, they now have to say the same now when they face the better teams. I've never been one to blame or credit the schedule for success or failure. I just see a game and see what I see that game. Just as I'm not going to discredit us for beating bad teams, I'm not letting them off the hook for losing to good teams - especially after they started 6-2.

One break we could get on the schedule would be in GB on week 17. Favre and a bunch of others may not even play if the game is meaningless to the playoff picture.

dtrop and others...

that was the point of my post...

i don't think they are one of the best teams in the league yet...

far from it...

they are about average...middle of the pack...around a five hundred club give or take a few bounces here and there...

which really IS a vast improvement from where they have been...

they are not superbowl contenders, but they aren't the bottomfeeding joke they have been since the turn of the century either...

when you have been so down for so long it is very easy to get swept up with a few wins...and then be even more let down and cynical when they lose again...believe me, i'm going thru the same thing every time they break my heart too...and it hurts more cuz it could actually be there...

they aren't going to win them all...

my point is that it doesn't help change the losing mentality that has crippled this franchise to have everyone immediately jump off the bandwagon when they do lose...

it just reinforces the already preconcieved notions...

it's up to us to keep the faith during some of these downs that will come along the way...

anyone can be a fan when they are winning...just as it's equally as easy to be dismissive when they are crap...it's the middle ground that is always the hardest to navigate...

so...if not us, then who?...

and...if not now, then when?...

so be proud of your average football team lions fans...and hug a viking fan today...

If the Lions had gone for 2, down 9, I would have broken something. Bottom line, when you are down 2 scores, and are able to score, you never chance staying down by 2 scores. You take the point and go for 2 when it's needed.

This doesn't even take into account that gaining one yard when absolutely needed isn't exactly a strength of the Lions since about 1983.

I don't know. I think I would've taken the penalty. Most people I talk about it (and the people in my section) thought I was a bit strange, but I would've done it.

You get the extra yard. And even with the Lions' pathetic state, you now absolutely must respect the run. It just opens up everything. And you were going to need 2 one time or another anyway. And if you fail, you know where you stand needing two possessions. Maybe even go for an onside kick next play.

I would never do it if the penalty didn't occur. But with that penalty, and realizing this time you are going to be closer than you will the next time (unless there is another penalty of course), it made a lot of sense to go for it.

It didn't end up mattering anyway.