Shinma

Packers @ Lions, Thanksgiving post-game.

Ok, I'm ready for the draft. However at least I feel they are headded in the right direction. They just need to upgrade their talent on defense now.

Favre is not human.

He would have had an even better career if he was in this offense his whole career. Why won't the Lions stay in the shotgun or even the 5 wides like the Packers are doing?

He would have had an even better career if he was in this offense his whole career. Why won't the Lions stay in the shotgun or even the 5 wides like the Packers are doing?

Haven't you heard, Martz is a genius and smarter than any other offensive minds in football. How dare you challenge the great and powerful Wizard of Ozfense.

Sums it up succinctly. This is a bad football team.

They're a mediocre football team that gets picked apart by top-tier quarterbacks, and that doesn't have the offensive line (or the QB) to be able to run Martz's system effectively. They're still disappointing, but at least they haven't been consistently embarrassing.

What really concerns me is the apperance of regression from the first half of the season. In particular, the offensive line and defensive tackling are not getting better as the season progresses - they are both getting worse (MUCH worse in the case of defensive tackling).

I still think we have the right coach in Marinelli but I still want Millen gone. I kind of backed off the fire Millen crap but the Lions are back to being a loser again. Millen should have been gone years ago..

Because it wouldn't work against a team with a decent defense, especially with our terrible offensive line

Also because Jon Kitna sucks

Actually I thought the O-Line did a solid job today, Kitna got hit a fair bit but that's part of Martz offense, he usually had time, whether he was holding the ball too long or the receivers weren't getting open I don't know, but most of the time when he did throw they were terrible, and the interception really changed the course of the game in a hurry.

It's really amazing, the Lions pass the ball all game 'Martz is an idiot, where's the run game?!' the Lions feature a great running attack 'Why aren't we in a 5 wide set?!' it's not Mike Martz fault that Kitna isn't very good and the O-Line is still weak, that goes back to the top with Millen.

What really concerns me is the apperance of regression from the first half of the season. In particular, the offensive line and defensive tackling are not getting better as the season progresses - they are both getting worse (MUCH worse in the case of defensive tackling).

They've had moments of badness all season when they've played teams with good QBs, or teams that didn't make mistakes - see the Eagles, Cardinals, and Redskins games, for instance. But they've feasted on teams with bad QBs.

I do agree that the tackling was awful today, and special teams seems to get worse by the week. And the first play Sapaia was in, he gave up a sack that put us out of field goal range. Our O-line is not good with its starters in, let alone with backups in.

The first game I have watched all year. Right tackle is a very, very weak spot, no matter who is playing there. I have never in my life seen two offensive linemen pancaked so much. It was embarrassing watching them.

I was also very, very disappointed in Johnson and Kitna. Last week Kitna only had eyes for Mac and this week for Johnson. As soon as he got the snap his eyes went to Johnson. I guess the critics got to him for not throwing to him last week, and I am thinking that Johnson just had a bad game. (hope so for Lions fans' sake!)

The defensive line was awful. They were manhandled. Favre had all day to throw. Shawn Rogers was a no show and the others were in a different area code.

Ernie Sims is really something else. Cason also had a good game, as did Jones and Jason Hanson was Jason Hanson.

The Packers knew the Lions would come out strong with the crowd behind them, but just weathered the storm and sure enough, the Lions' turned into a pumpkin by the second quarter and it was all over.

By the way the Lions played today, if they win more than one (KC) game the rest of the way I will be surprised.

You know what makes me sick? Loud mouthed douche bag Deion calls us out 3 weeks ago saying we were pretenders. I guess he was right :(

I think Rod knows what he wants from this team and yes he has them playing to what he believes. He was not going to get every player he wants or needs his first year, the draft is going to be interesting.

The think that made me sick.. Dominic causes a penalty when we et down to the 1 yard line. tha would have put us at 10-0

As soon as Johnathan Scott got hurt and his replacement was eaten alive... I dont know why George Foster was inactive other than his bad play latly.

Kitna is not getting rid of the ball soon enough. He waits for plays to develope and rushes things and then throws int's

Aren't we, at worst, going to be tied for the last wild card spot after this weekend is over?

And all the other teams the Lions are tied with have beaten them. Season's over. It was before it ever began.

1. Two field goals on possible TD drives and a third possession that had us at the 32 but Kitna was sacked out of field goal range. That's a lot of potential points left out there against a Farve led team.

2. Kitna doing his typical moving into the pressure instead of feeling it and rolling out of it. The line wasn't as bad as it looked. He had time to throw and many times had plenty of opportunity to thorw it away or hit a receiver. He just dosen't throw it. And if he doesn't he goes from serviceable to a part of the problem. The line hasn't been good for his two years, but I would dare say of the sacks Kitna takes about a third of them really are his fault.

3. The passing game stunk for 3 1/2 quarters - If Kitna led them properly, the receivers dropped them. Other times Kitna threw behind them (and that's getting to be a huge problem). A few other times a little more air on balls that should've been to the corner of the endzone would've helped. And when the QB and receivers connect, it would help if one of our idiot linemen didn't have a chop block.

4. Farve - the best and we saw why again today. He feels pressure, he rolls out of it - not into it. He has a quick read pass and he makes the throw - not holds on to it. The Lions couldn't get pressure on him because he did what he was supposed to do and did it pretty darn efficiently.

5. The defense - all would've been forgiven if they could've stopped the Packers on that last possession and got the Lions the ball back with anything with 2 minutes or more left in the game. They couldn't. Missed tackles. Hitting high instead of hitting and wrapping. We saw a ton of that today.

6. Hanson - Most days with field goals of the distance he hit, getting three of four would be a good day. He got them all. He was the only reason we had any shot at the end.

Just a question here. The Lions score to make it a 15-point game. Make the extra point and there's an offsides penalty. They take the extra point and keep it at 8. Why not take the penalty and go for two right now? You need two sometime right? Well right now you have the ball at the 1 instead of the 2. I know it looks bad if you fail but at least now you know you'll need two more possessions instead. I think I may have thought about taking that penalty and going for two.

Sums it up succinctly. This is a bad football team.

I disagree. They gave a great Packer team a run for their money in the second half.

We saw it differently, then. I saw the Packers let their guard down for a quarter or so, then when they needed to get yards and points, they did. Props to the Lions for not mailing it in when they were down big, but a good team would not have let themselves get down so much, especially when they let big oportunities of their own go by the wayside early on. The bad habits are creeping back into the Lions: the stupid penalties; the perfectly thrown, yet dropped passes; the missed tackles; the blown coverages, etc.

One thing that really bothered me.

If you have a tape of the game check this out...

We ran the ball very effectively in this game. Yet on many of the plays we did throw, the Lions would go four receivers with Jones not in your traditional run back spot. More up to help pass protect. We'd go five receivers with an empty backfield.

Well if you want the run game to have to be respected on a pass play YOU HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING THERE TO REPRESENT THAT THREAT. I don't care if Kevin Jones ran for 250 yards in the first half. If he's lined up somewhere directly behind a tackle or something like that, no one is going to respect that as a possible run play. If Jones isn't in the backfield at all they certainly aren't going to fear the quarterback draw.

If you want to utilize that threat you created, you have to keep the back in! And with the combination of our line and Kitna's inablity to feel pressure, that's just a pathetically bad thing to do. I don't care if it's third and 7. Keep the dang back back there.

oooowwwwwch...

mucho negativity folks...

lots of people taking this one very hard...

rising expectations leading to some pain?...it was easier to watch when you knew they were just going into the tank every game?...

these are growing pains, gang...don't give up on them just yet...

how many of you would have bet your own money on an 8-8 year this year?...i know, they aren't there yet, but it is still possible...(kc is beatable...who knows from week to week what chargers team is showing up...and the pack could be resting everybody if the can't run the cowboys down...)for goodness sakes, the jets even beat the steelers last week...

face it, this IS the best lions team in ten years...

maybe the last twenty...

and they have many of the pieces in place to be better than they are now...

are they one of the top 5 teams in football?...

hell no...

(the last 2 games just showed that)

are they making mistakes?...

you bet they are...

(calvin, catch the damn ball)

are they things that can be fixed?...

i'll grant that some of them are easier than others...

(need a right tackle soon)

but the effort and the heart both look to be there...

and that is more than we have had in this town for as long as i can remember...

how many of these thanksgiving games have been over by halftime?...

or were meaningless even before the kickoff?...

nah...

they probably won't make the playoffs again this year...

but what were the odds in vegas that they would even still be sniffing at this point?...

keep the faith my brothers and sisters...

no, they aren't there yet...

but they sure are a lot closer than they have been...