Motor City Sonics

It's time for Hasek to hang 'em up.

Unless he was inferring the lock only applied to goalies, that should be pretty obvious.

If you're talking #99, he has some Cups. I don't know what other Wayne you would be talking about.

If you're talking #99, he has some Cups. I don't know what other Wayne you would be talking about.

That's the one. Reread the highlighted quote, the Cups were only mentioned to strengthen the "strongest first ballot lock", not to qualify it. ie, he was the strongest first ballot lock before the cups.

Was Larry Murphy still on the team in 2002? I don't think he was.

No. He retired the year before.

Lidstrom's D-partner that year was none other than Fredrik Olausson.

Unless he was inferring the lock only applied to goalies, that should be pretty obvious.

That's a typo. I meant to say simply "ever without a Stanley Cup."

That's the one. Reread the highlighted quote, the Cups were only mentioned to strengthen the "strongest first ballot lock", not to qualify it. ie, he was the strongest first ballot lock before the cups.

Gretzky only went 5 years before he won a cup. He wasn't a lock.

Well, I would agree that Wayne would have been one of if not the strongest first ballot HOFer with out a Cup if he had indeed never won the Cup, but since he won the Cup, it becomes a moot point. I read the original post as if going with current history with the only caveat being Hasek never winning a Cup.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/SPORTS05/80609064/&imw=Y

Hasek deserved the farewell presser the Wings threw for him Monday even more so than after the 2002 Stanley Cup championship run, of which his arrival the previous summer from Buffalo was the epicenter. But the Wings’ recognition for Hasek’s contributions shouldn’t end there.

They should retire Hasek’s No. 39.

I wish Drew Sharp would retire his mouth.

Well, I would agree that Wayne would have been one of if not the strongest first ballot HOFer with out a Cup if he had indeed never won the Cup, but since he won the Cup, it becomes a moot point. I read the original post as if going with current history with the only caveat being Hasek never winning a Cup.

You managed to read it the way I intended, even though I butchered it in execution.

I wish Drew Sharp would retire his mouth.

He can keep his mouth, someone should break his computer.

You managed to read it the way I intended, even though I butchered it in execution.

Ah, you did mean it the other way. In that case I would agree.

That was another weird article by Sharp. Throws in the retiring his jersey comment at the very end without any reasoning, takes a couple of digs at Osgood, ignores the Curtis Joseph saga (which even as a Hasek fan I feel is part of Hasek's legacy here).

If the Wings retired the jersey of every star it's ever had, today's players would need to wear letters or Roman numerals on their backs.

Hasek To Play In Czech League in 2009-10

Associated Press

April 21, 2009

Prague-- Goalie Dominik Hasek, who led the Red Wings to the 2002 Stanley Cup championship, will come out of retirement to play for his former club in the top Czech league.

Hasek, 44, agreed to play next season for HC Moeller Pardubice, a club in the town where he was born and started his career.

Hasek, a six-time winner of the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top goalie, will be the oldest player in the league, and Pardubice has an option to extend the contract by one more year.

Advertisement

"I'm really glad I could sign a deal with this club," Hasek said. "It's a club where I spent the most years. I've never even thought I could play for any other club in the Czech Republic. I'm looking forward to the next season."

The announcement comes less than a year after Hasek retired after winning his second Stanley Cup with the Red Wings.

"A year ago I said goodbye to the NHL but not to hockey," Hasek said. "After a year when I was engaged in other activities I felt like returning."

Drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks in 1983, Hasek joined the NHL in 1990-91 and won 389 games with Chicago, Ottawa, Buffalo and Detroit. He won the Hart Trophy twice as the NHL's most valuable player.

He previously retired in 2002 after winning the Stanley Cup with Detroit. Hasek played two games for Pardubice during the 2004-05 lockout season.

He also led the Czech Republic to a gold medal at 1998 Nagano Olympics -- and is now hoping for an encore at next year's Winter Games in Vancouver.

Wonder if the last sentence is just writer's speculation or did Hasek say that.

Sounds like a little hinting from both I guess. I'd say on Haseks part because of the I said goodbye to the NHL but not to hockey quote. Definitely not a direct quote from the writer about Hasek, but speculation that if he's back for a year, he could be back again in the Olympics.