Motor City Sonics

It's time for Hasek to hang 'em up.

The Dominator is one of the GREATEST goaltenders of ALL TIME. Let's remember him fondly. When Ozzie got the gig for the stretch run, Dom could have been a problem. Instead, he opted to be a professional and accept second-fiddle status. That's a team guy if there ever was one because Hasek is a LOCK for the hockey Hall of Fame. Osgood? That's yet to be determined.

Don't get me wrong - Osgood earned his keep, but Hasek deserved his name on the cup. Detroit fans would be foolish not to give Dom his proper due. Don't call him a "real" Wing or not. He came. He played his best. He helped deliver two cups.

I'm a "Dom guy" and even I hope he chooses this opportunity to "hang them up". When he does, I'll celebrate him like almost any other Red Wing.

Well, I am pretty sure that Jimmy Howard will be the backup (or even the Co-Lead) next season, but I would not be surprised if the Wings went out and signed a veteran goalie that could step in Ozzie or Howie get hurt for a length of time.

PREDICTION: Osgood and Howard get a 50/30 split for the regular season and Osgood gets first crack at the playoffs. (Strangely similar to this year's scenario between Dom and Ozzie.)

2009-'10 - Another 50/30 split with Howard being the #1 and Osgood being the wily veteran.

And the organization couldn't ask for a better scenario.

The Dominator is one of the GREATEST goaltenders of ALL TIME. Let's remember him fondly. When Ozzie got the gig for the stretch run, Dom could have been a problem. Instead, he opted to be a professional and accept second-fiddle status. That's a team guy if there ever was one because Hasek is a LOCK for the hockey Hall of Fame. Osgood? That's yet to be determined.

Don't get me wrong - Osgood earned his keep, but Hasek deserved his name on the cup. Detroit fans would be foolish not to give Dom his proper due. Don't call him a "real" Wing or not. He came. He played his best. He helped deliver two cups.

I'm a "Dom guy" and even I hope he chooses this opportunity to "hang them up". When he does, I'll celebrate him like almost any other Red Wing.

I'd suggest Osgood derserved to have his name put on the cup in 98 and deserves to have it put on again based on his play-off play in 08.

PREDICTION: Osgood and Howard get a 50/30 split for the regular season and Osgood gets first crack at the playoffs. (Strangely similar to this year's scenario between Dom and Ozzie.)

2009-'10 - Another 50/30 split with Howard being the #1 and Osgood being the wily veteran.

And the organization couldn't ask for a better scenario.

And who gets the other 20% of starts in your scenario?

And who gets the other 20% of starts in your scenario?

I believe that's in games, not percentage. ie. a ~63%/37% split

I would not be surprised if the Wings went out and signed a veteran goalie that could step in Ozzie or Howie get hurt for a length of time.

I'm hoping that scenario does not occur.

Howard will benefit more from the NHL experience and from a mentor-type relationship with Ozzie, than he would playing another year with the Griffins.

Also, the Wings signed Daniel Larsson (a Hakan Andersen find) with the intentions of having him play in North America this upcoming year. With Howard out of the picture, he should have a good chance to start for the Griffs.

Now the question will be does Hasek enter the Hall of Fame as a Sabre or a Red Wing?

Now the question will be does Hasek enter the Hall of Fame as a Sabre or a Red Wing?

As a Sabre, he won 6 Vezinas and 2 Hart trophies, including becoming the only goalie ever to win two Harts.

Seeing as that's the reason he's going to inducted in the HOF in the first place, that's the jersey he should go in with.

They don't do it like baseball. It's just a headshot photo etched (I think) on glass.

As a Sabre, he won 6 Vezinas and 2 Hart trophies, including becoming the only goalie ever to win two Harts.

Seeing as that's the reason he's going to inducted in the HOF in the first place, that's the jersey he should go in with.

I don't think he gets in without the two Stanley Cups, but I guess we will never know.

I don't think he gets in without the two Stanley Cups, but I guess we will never know.

Agreed, and he won those cups with the Wings, which makes me WANT him in the HOF as a Wing. However if juiceman is correct in his assertion that hockey players are not associated with a team in the HOF then it's all moot.

Hasek would have been a slam-dunk HOFer even without the 2 Stanley Cups. He stole gold for the Czechs in the '98 Nagano Olympics, beating the heavily-favored Canadians and Russians back to back was enough of a championship legacy.

They don't do it like baseball. It's just a headshot photo etched (I think) on glass.

Yes it is. I visited the Hall in 2000 but that was before digital. There is no team logo.

and those that say without the cups he'd not be in are nuts. He was like Pedro/Maddux in his dominance. It was sick.

and those that say without the cups he'd not be in are nuts. He was like Pedro/Maddux in his dominance. It was sick.

Agreed. One doesn't win 6 Vezina and 2 Hart Trophies and not get into the Hall, especially when those happen during careers such as Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. The Cup really just makes him the goalie equivalent of Brett Favre and not Dan Marino.

While this may be true, the HHOF seems to be harder for goalies to break into, and with the Cups no more argument can be had to keep him out.

It will be interesting to see how many of the '02 Wings, the team that was "loaded with Hall of Famers" actually get into the Hall. SI once said "9 future Hall of Famers"

Yzerman, Hasek, Lidstrom, Hull and Chelios all would seem to be locks.

I don't think any more than one of Shanahan, Fedorov, Osgood, Robitaille or Larionov will get in.

(Illitch was inducted as a builder in 2003, Bowman I guess will be a "builder")

Am I missing anyone?

It will be interesting to see how many of the '02 Wings, the team that was "loaded with Hall of Famers" actually get into the Hall. SI once said "9 future Hall of Famers"

Yzerman, Hasek, Lidstrom, Hull and Chelios all would seem to be locks.

I don't think any more than one of Shanahan, Fedorov, Osgood, Robitaille or Larionov will get in.

Am I missing anyone?

Osgood wasn't on the '02 team :happy:

Seriously though, I can see all those other guys in, just not first ballot guys. Also, you did get everyone.

I can't see any way the Larionov doesn't get in and Bowman is already in the hall. (1991 as a builder)

While this may be true, the HHOF seems to be harder for goalies to break into, and with the Cups no more argument can be had to keep him out.

There was never any argument to keep Hasek out of the Hall, even without the Cups. He's a top 5 goalie all-time, and possibly the best ever. He'd have been the the strongest first ballot lock ever even without a single Stanley Cup.

There was never any argument to keep Hasek out of the Hall, even without the Cups. He's a top 5 goalie all-time, and possibly the best ever. He'd have been the the strongest first ballot lock ever even without a single Stanley Cup.

Wayne who?

What Wayne are you talking about?

Unless he was inferring the lock only applied to goalies, that should be pretty obvious.