Motor City Sonics

It's time for Hasek to hang 'em up.

He just doesn't have it anymore. Osgood is the number one now and that should be final.

They're two different issues. If in fact Hasek is done (and I'd say it's too early to say that), then we need to find a number one. Osgood could audition for the job but I'd be hoping to land someone better by the playoffs. I don't believe the Wings can win the Cup with anything less than Ozzie's A+ game or Hasek's B- game.

And keep in mind that it's only been 10 games for Hasek so far this year. Remember that Brodeur, Luongo and Kiprusoff are 3 other elite goalies off to rocky starts.

I'm betting this is Hasek's last year. Then we'll see Jimmy Howard as the #1 with Osgood as the backup/mentor playing something like a 50 and 30 games respectively. Holland likely keeps Ozzie around for a few years while Howard grows into the job.

I just think that it would have been nice to develop a goalie as we developed our young talent. Now, you've got to break in Howard when our young guns are at their prime.

I don't think someone can go from being a good goaltender to a terrible one in a matter of a few months, barring injury. It is still too early to be pushing the panic button just yet.

I wonder if Hasek's groin his still bugging him. Its very possible that he just can't move like he used to due to his age, but as has been pointed out in this thread, he was very good last year and its hard to imagine that he is all of the sudden too old when last year he wasn't.

great time to start looking at howard. they have a nice cushin in the standings and it looks like dom could use some rest. sit him down for a few weeks to a month or so, and get howard some spot starts

great time to start looking at howard. they have a nice cushin in the standings and it looks like dom could use some rest. sit him down for a few weeks to a month or so, and get howard some spot starts

Sure, no down side to that. But I think it's not always a good use of time to spend time developing a young goalie in-house. Arguably more than any position in any other pro sport, it is hard to predict how young goalie prospects will pan out. Many examples, Hasek being just one, of a goalie being nothing special into his late '20s and then blossoming into an all-star. Or of guys like Legace being stars on the world stage in junior but never quite joining the elite ranks in the NHL. I'd rather nab a mid-career goalie who is pretty good with other teams but who would shine behind the Wings' strong defense.

And keep in mind that it's only been 10 games for Hasek so far this year. Remember that Brodeur, Luongo and Kiprusoff are 3 other elite goalies off to rocky starts.

Agreed. I'm not ready to throw in the hat on the DOMN8TOR. Too early to tell for sure.

Dom has started slowly before, but not this slowly. He's just missing the puck altogether sometimes. I think it's just over. Ozzie has been fantastic, and maybe it's just time for Osgood/Howard for a year.

He needs to hang them up for this series at least. The stakes are too high, including Babcock's job perhaps, to not give Osgood Games 5. Hasek might be needed again in the 2nd round, but to me it is now finally Ozzie's job to lose.

I was going to start a new thread about this, but I guess I'll just add it to this post since its about Hasek. Osgood is starting game 5.

Hasek Out, Osgood in for Game 5

ESPN.com reporting that Hasek is retiring. If so, good job Dom in putting together a decent regular season, when not injured, and by all accounts handling his playoff demotion with grace.

ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 8, 2008, 9:59 PM ET

DETROIT -- Dominik Hasek is expected to announce his retirement, a person in the NHL told The Associated Press on Sunday night.

The Detroit Red Wings scheduled a news conference for Monday morning without revealing details.

A person within the league, who requested anonymity because the announcement was Hasek's to make, said Hasek was expected to end his award-winning career.

Hasek won six Vezina Trophies in a nine-year span from 1993-2001 as the NHL's top goaltender and was the first goalie to win two consecutive Hart Trophies as the league's MVP.

Hasek is the all-time leader in save percentage (92.2) and is third among active goaltenders in wins (389), goals against average (2.20), and games played (735). Hasek is second among active goalies with 81 career shutouts.

The star from the Czech Republic played 41 games during the regular season, finishing with a record of 27-10-3 with a GAA of 2.14 and save percentage of 90.2. Hasek lost his job as Detroit's starting goaltender during the Wings' run to the Stanley Cup, being replaced by Chris Osgood in the first round.

One of the highlights of this year's regular season was

That flip was awesome!

He played well for Detroit, but I never really saw him as a "real" Red Wing. He came in to get his championship, which I have no problem with, but he never really clicked with me like someone like Shanahan.

One of the highlights of this year's regular season was

That will forever be known as the "Flip Czech".

Also, dont forget that he has a

Good that he's retiring. He had a great career, and we will always remember him fondly for his brilliance in the 02 postseason.

Well, I am pretty sure that Jimmy Howard will be the backup (or even the Co-Lead) next season, but I would not be surprised if the Wings went out and signed a veteran goalie that could step in Ozzie or Howie get hurt for a length of time.