DTroppens

Amir Johnson

D,

I was going to say something you did, but flip it around. Maybe there is a method to the madness. But it's like you said playing 60-70 games. So many young players hit that ceiling later in the year. Maybe (and this is Flip we're talking about so this is a huge maybe) they are working them in a bit like this so they stay somewhat fresh by season's end and can contribute? Maybe their minutes will be increased past Christmas time? Who knows.

But if that isn't it..... WHY THE HECK ISN'T HE PLAYING THESE GUYS MORE!!!! :classic:

D is right in another respect. If these guys don't get the playing time they need this year it's on Dumars as much as it is Flip. We were given the impression that was going to happen. But before I say it's not, (and I guess I've said it before it isn't happening) I'll try to wait until after Christmas to hold the ultimate judgement. :classic:

I suppose it is possible they are working them in slow so they don't hit a wall later on. Considering the past history of Flip, and the organization before him, I would guess that is not the case though.

I'm guessing your guess is probably right. But I'll be quiet about it - at least until next game - I mean Christmas.

Amir has done nothing to make me think he shouldn't be playing more for sure. Darn it, I already blew it.

I'm holding out hope for the whole, "when Stuckey returns we're gonna have a super 2nd unit that runs the floor like nuts" idea. A man's gotta have dreams

along that note, this is from the Freep today

STUCKEY UPDATE: Pistons rookie Rodney Stuckey left a doctor's visit Wednesday without the news he hoped to hear. He wasn't cleared for anything beyond the non-contact work he has been doing for the last week.

He meets with doctors again Dec. 7, the date the team originally hoped he'd be able to rejoin the lineup. If doctors clear him then, he'll first have to practice.

That means, more than likely, he won't return until the following week, perhaps during a Memphis-Houston back-to-back trip.

Meanwhile, Saunders said he'll begin to use point guard Lindsey Hunter a bit more. Hunter played seven minutes against the Cavaliers.

"He's had enough vacation time," Saunders said.

and Flips reason for not playing Amir and Samb more...not sure I find it acceptable but on a veteran team like this you do have to do all the little things when you're out there.

Why weren’t Amir Johnson and Cheikh Samb playing more in Wallace’s absence?

Lots of times, you can’t play them all. McDyess is playing unbelievable … Nazr Mohammed did have 10 rebounds in the first half. There’s only so many minutes to go around. It’s not a situation where we don’t want to play them. I think people have to understand, you can’t play 12 guys. If you play 12 guys, no one gets any kind of rhythm. … I talked about communication. I talked to Amir Johnson today. That’s his biggest lack -- he doesn’t talk enough. Until he talks, he’s not going to play a lot. The way we’re built as a team … if one guy breaks down, the whole defense looks terrible. … Those guys are getting better; they’ll get their time.

Has Rasheed taken Johnson under his wing?

He’s done that with a lot of players. I was talking with someone today, and I said, “This might sound crazy, but I think Rasheed has a lot of the ingredients to be a very good coach.” If you can believe that.

He’s got a high basketball I.Q. He’s got an unbelievable amount of passion for the game. He’s a great competitor. He is a communicator. If he decides he wants to do something, he’ll go ahead and do it -- doesn’t care what the ramifications are as far as what people think about it. … I’m sure referees wouldn’t want to see him on the sidelines.

But he has, with Cheikh Samb and Amir -- he’s as critical of those guys, like in practice, saying to them, “If you guys can’t learn to play, you ain’t going to play.” He communicates with them, but he gives them tough love at times too.

"If you play 12 guys, no one gets any kind of rhythm"

Hahahahahahaha...ahahahahahaha....hahahahahhaha...

Really, Flip? Nobody gets into any rhythm? You mean like when you play them 20 minutes one game, then 3 minutes the next, you piece of...!!!

On another board, this same topic has been running along. Someone said, how are any of the subs supposed to look good when Flip Murray is running the team. You won't get the ball until the shot clock is running down, or the lane parts wide open and Murray happens to see you. Once Stuckey is out there running things, the second unit could look less lost.

Great,

I guess that means my whole theory of the young player hitting the ceiling lasted about 3 hours. I guess I'll have to go back to thinking Flip's a moron.

He's right. There isn't enough time in a game to play 12 players, so play the people that need to play. No one would've known Nazr was going to have a great game if you didn't put him out there. Wow, that almost reads as I would rather have Johnson or Samb play and struggle a bit and possibly lose than play someone else who may help us win. And really to a considerable point, I actually do believe that way.

But now I'm going to be a bit wishy washy. There is nothing wrong with earning your playing time. If Johnson's lack of communication can clearly be defined as hurting a team, maybe making him regain that PT by getting to have strong practices isn't wrong either. Actually it's a legit tactic. But that said by the start of 2008 I want to see those guys on the floor more and playing. And I don't want to be sitting here in Feb wondering how we are going to get Stuckey conditioned enough and caught up to the level of play on the floor because of his injury. Live with it and take the bumps and bruises. I want to see those guys become better players - even if it costs us as many as 10 wins. All this team needs to do is make the playoffs and whatever is supposed to happen in the playoffs will happen. I truly could care less what seed we come into them as.

Since this has become a general thread. The Celtics/Knicks are on TNT tonight, currently it's 82-39 at the end of the third quarter. Isiah Thomas has to be fired, this is probably the most embarrassing NBA performance I've ever seen. I don't really like Isiah Thomas post pistons, he's turned out to be a real conniver, but I even feel bad for him, his legacy won't be as the player, but as the destroyer of the Knicks franchise and a colossal failure.

Oh, here's another interesting one. Some praise for Flip Saunders.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2007/11/22/2007-11-22_stephon_marbury_has_praise_for_coach_no_.html

"Those guys play in a very good system and know where to go at all times," Marbury said after Detroit's 98-86 victory. "They have counters to everything that you do defensively and they don't rely on the first or second option. They get it to the third or fourth option. Playing for Flip, you see the execution. You know what's going on."

Oh, here's another interesting one. Some praise for Flip Saunders.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2007/11/22/2007-11-22_stephon_marbury_has_praise_for_coach_no_.html

"Those guys play in a very good system and know where to go at all times," Marbury said after Detroit's 98-86 victory. "They have counters to everything that you do defensively and they don't rely on the first or second option. They get it to the third or fourth option. Playing for Flip, you see the execution. You know what's going on."

Consider the source.

I don't want to just start a new thread for this, so I'll just post it here. Hopefully, Samb will become the Amir Johnson of the D-league this year.

DEBUT: Cheikh Samb played his first game in the D-League on Thursday night. He had 12 points, 11 rebounds and six blocks in 40 minutes. The Pistons sent the 7-1 rookie to the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants this week.

Wonder if the Pistons would consider sending Amir back down down to the D-League, just to get playing time & work on his game, since he doesn't get much PT on the Pistons! Would think it could only help develop his game!

I don't want to just start a new thread for this, so I'll just post it here. Hopefully, Samb will become the Amir Johnson of the D-league this year.

Cheikh Samb will not become the AJ of anything.

Other than the fact that both can block shots with above average frequency their games are nothing alike.

Cheikh will put up some decent numbers, but AJ when given the minutes not only puts up big numbers, but he is game changer because of his overall athleticism and court ability.

Wonder if the Pistons would consider sending Amir back down down to the D-League, just to get playing time & work on his game, since he doesn't get much PT on the Pistons! Would think it could only help develop his game!

I believe that you can only play there for two years, if you are under contract to an NBA team.

What I am not sure about is whether that 2 years is two years for all NBA teams combined or 2 years per each NBA team that a player may be under contract to for his career.

In any case I believe that we cannot send AJ back to the D league anymore.

we do'nt know how good johnson is he never plays I've heard some bad things about his work ethic in practice could we package him at the deadline for a legit center

I've heard some bad things about his work ethic in practice

Really? I've heard exactly the opposite. The only bad thing I've heard is about how quiet he is on the court. Do you have a link to the article for his bad work ethic? I'd like to read it.

I haven't heard that either...I also haven't really heard anything particularly good about his work ethic either though.

As for questions about work ethic, Amir's current coach dismisses those reports as sloppy scouting.

"Let me tell you something: I wish everyone I had was as lazy as he is," says McHone, who compares Johnson to Portland's Darius Miles - with better shooting and shot-blocking ability.

"Amir works hard, and he's getting in touch with his game. The big thing is that he needs to get a little stronger, so he can defend NBA (power forwards) without getting crushed in there."

Amir Johnson works hard, how can he not on the Pistons team. Saunders criticizes him from time to time as having a low bbIQ, which I believe to be correct in the limited action I see from him. He's very raw, but he's about where I thought he would be at this year. This is sort of how Maxiell got into the lineup last year, lots of DNP's and sporadic time. Next year, I hope Amir can move into Maxiell type minutes.

how do you talk up someone's work ethic and compare him to Darius Miles in the same paragraph??? :)

Darius Miles the player and the athleticism. Darius Miles was becoming a very good player, until the knee issue. He should be coming back from microfracture, just what Portland needs, another young big.