DetroitCoastie

Is Chris Shelton.....

What heppened to him? I just cant see how he isn't atleast a .280 20 hr 85-90 rbi guy. It seems to me that he got away from using the whole field and tried pulling the ball for hrs way too much. He needs to look at some old tapes of him hitting and regain his stroke. What a shame!

It's in his head.

I agree........If Chris is going to have any measure of success in the future, I think it will come in a different organization.

Did he die?

(Sorry, old joke from years ago ....)

What happened to him - that ridiculous HR splurge two Aprils past. Seems like he suddenly fancied himself a 60 homer guy, and started trying to pull every pitch. A classic case of Damion Easley Disease, IMHO.

as far as I know, I'm the only one suggesting it about Shelton. Oh I see baseknock too. So if you disagree, criticize. It was only posted like a half hour ago.

I think something screwed him up and he lost the ability to rake. I didn't expect him to be a slugger but it looks like he was capable of at least hitting a little better than Sean Casey. Is that a good thing? Not really but it would have been good for the Tigers in 2007.

See, if Shelton's problems are "in his head", how come when people suggest that Bondo's problems are mental as well, they get criticized?

I get annoyed because I think people overplay Bonderman's "mental" problems.

I can't bear the game threads when he pitches because people think every pitch he throws is influenced by mental weakness. I have not seen that happen with Shelton.

Shelton got too cocky for his own good after his hot start. Hopefully he will come to realize that after spending the entire year in AAA ball. Only problem now is that we have a 1B who should put up some decent numbers...

You are all a bunch of fools. I can still rake with the best of them. I just like the food better in Toledo.

It's in his head.

And according to Pudge, the brain is in the head.

(This is my favorite Pudge quote of all-time).

Seems to me he was hitting everything and then some pitcher buzzed him up and in with a fastball and he stopped making contact after that.

I get annoyed because I think people overplay Bonderman's "mental" problems.

I can't bear the game threads when he pitches because people think every pitch he throws is influenced by mental weakness. I have not seen that happen with Shelton.

I continue to be astounded at how the notion of mental weakness in baseball, and the discussion of its possible role in various players' problems, elicits such an annoyed reaction by otherwise intelligent people - as if the very suggestion of its existence is somehow highly offensive.

Bonderman and his first inning problems. Chris Shelton's entire career. If mental issues are not the most obvious explanation in both cases, I can't imagine what would be.

Bonderman's "first inning problems" didn't happen until this year. People have been using the "mentally weak" line for years based entirely on his reactions on the mound. This is why I get annoyed with it.

I continue to be astounded at how the notion of mental weakness in baseball' date=' and the discussion of its possible role in various players' problems, elicits such an annoyed reaction by otherwise intelligent people - as if the very suggestion of its existence is somehow highly offensive.

Bonderman and his first inning problems. Chris Shelton's entire career. If mental issues are not the most obvious explanation in both cases, I can't imagine what would be.[/quote']

It's all predetermination. They were meant to perform this way.

Bonderman's "first inning problems" didn't happen until this year. People have been using the "mentally weak" line for years based entirely on his reactions on the mound. This is why I get annoyed with it.

He had the first-inning problems in 2006 as well - not as consistently, though. Read through the game threads.

And why are his reactions on the mound not a window into his mental state?

Also, what's with the quote marks around "first inning problems"? Are you questioning whether they existed?

Micro did say something about the coaches not being thrilled with Shelton's attitude. I think there is more to it than his hitting ability. Shelton might bounce back some day (a la Carlos Pena) but at this point he doesn't seem to fit in the Tigers' organization.

He had the first-inning problems in 2006 as well - not as consistently' date=' though. Read through the game threads.

Also, what's with the quote marks around "first inning problems"? Are you questioning whether they existed?[/quote']

I'm like Dr. Evil, I like to use the quotes (makes hand signal) to emphesise something. I didn't sleep through last season, I'm quite aware of his first inning struggles.

Why don't I think his reactions are a window into his mental state? Because I don't think they're related in any way. I think all pitchers get frustrated when they're not pitching well. I'd be concerned if they didn't. Some show it, some don't. Just like when the team is playing well some people show their frustrations on the board, some don't. Am I to assume the the ones that constantly scream on here are metally weak and those that don't are metally superior? That would be foolish. Some people hide their feelings, some don't. I don't think it says anything about their metal state.

I don't think Bonderman is mentally weak for showing his frustrations on the mound any more than I think Andrew Miller is a mental giant for not showing his feelings on the mound.

Because not everybody reacts in a way that displays their mental state. If we expect visible proof of their mental state then we end up with showmanship just for the sake of expressing the mental state. I'd rather have players worry about doing the right thing instead of the fans perception that they show they care. Then we have debates that the player who kicks over water coolers care more about winning than the guy who just sits on the bench and thinks about it.

It's just not something we can determine. The reactions Jack Morris gave when he'd glare and put didn't tell us he was a fierce competitor, it told us he was a jerk.

I think all pitchers get frustrated when they're not pitching well. I'd be concerned if they didn't. Some show it, some don't.

I think there is an exorbitantly large faction of people out there (likely the vast majority) that would vehemently disagree with this stance on the issue.....not that this should alter your state, because you are certainly entitled to your opinion....I'm just providing input.

To quote one of the pitching coaches I spoke with this summer (and subsequently bounced this statement off several others who absolutely loved and agreed with it)....

"Every single movement a pitcher makes on the mound is part of the battle. Every pitch is a battle between the batter and the hitter. There is a winner and a loser in every single battle. Its not determined by the ball-strike call, but by much more. The totality of these hundreds of battles a game, determins the winner of the war....the winner of the game. Those battles don't just include the pitches; they include the emotions shown on the mound and the demeanor with which the batter and pitcher carry themselves....its critical to hide your frustration, your fear, and your uncertainty....absolutely critical."

Did he die?

(Sorry, old joke from years ago ....)

What happened to him - that ridiculous HR splurge two Aprils past. Seems like he suddenly fancied himself a 60 homer guy, and started trying to pull every pitch. A classic case of Damion Easley Disease, IMHO.

Exactly. He fell in love with his image as a HR hitter, being on ESPN all that. It was too much for such a young guy.

See, if Shelton's problems are "in his head", how come when people suggest that Bondo's problems are mental as well, they get criticized?

Sheltons problem is mental. He thinks the Tiger are holding him down, and he needs to get past it. That's his mental problem. It has nothing to do with his play. It's his inability to see that he's not the guy that had the hot streak in 06. Once he figures that out, and realizes the Tigers aren't purposly holding him back, he'll be fine. Whoever said that would have to be in a different orginization, is absolutley correct. Shelton, I think, is holding a grudge. Just my opinion.