billfer

Tigers trade Jurrjens, Hernandez for Renteria

You can't make trades and remain status-quo. I don't know if this is a great trade or not. It certainly is a trade that is well looking into. And because of that it's a trade that has merit to make. We weren't going to get our SS for two position prospects or a position prospect and one of our extra outfielders.

At best he's a very solid glove that has above bat potential and adds a bit of speed. At worst he's all I said above but with an average bat. He's 30. It's not like he's 36. He certainly has a few more nice years left in him.

I think this looks like a deal that was worth doing. It has it's risks, but that's to be expected. I'll miss Jurrjens as well. He looked like a darn good pitcher.

hey this trade is a bit puzzling but dont forget DD has plenty of time to get another proven starter from trade or FA. Dont forget he is one of the best at making deals he knows what he doing and i have plenty trust he will get the Starting rotation all figured out before we even know wat to think. JJ looked impressive but so did bazardo in the little bit he was with the team. i think give him a year in ST and 1 more year in the minors and he will be ready if not this year to solidfy the bullpen

I love this deal.

DD is a genius. Total man-crush on DD right now.

JJ is good, but how good really? Did we see just flashes of what could be a great career, or did we see teams a bit unfamiliar with his stuff? Only time will tell.

As far as Hernandez, with Maybin in front of him, he wasn't a need. They have plenty of great young pitchers......maybe a year or two a away (from 2008), but they want to win while they still have Pudge, Maggs, Sheff and Carlos....they need to take a shot in the next two years, but should be replenished by 2011 or 2012.

I love the speed of this. Got one major priority over with and put the A-Rod question to bed. Nice move, Dave.

YODA; I will send you the artwork I worked on for your AAT:(

I am sad to see both go, but will have a reason to follow the Braves again .. and JJ just became my favorite Braves player.

I go to games all the time, now I have a reason!!

Granderson

Polanco

Sheffield

Ordonez

Guillen

Rentaria

LF?

Pudge

Inge

WOW.

It's also possible that Renteria could lead off.

You can't make trades and remain status-quo. I don't know if this is a great trade or not. It certainly is a trade that is well looking into. And because of that it's a trade that has merit to make. We weren't going to get our SS for two position prospects or a position prospect and one of our extra outfielders.

Like the people throwing out "Kobe for Nazr, Flip Murray, Maxiell, Meija, and draft picks" deals.

Good luck with this one. Renteria's one year in the AL was a disaster with Boston. I think the Tigers gave up too much for him. Maybe somewhat of a panic move? Can't help but feel this move was made by the front office to show the fans the organization will still be competitive. Braves win this one.

Renteria doesn't like all the hype and pressure like he had in Boston. I don't think it had anything to do with him playing in the AL which is historically a much easier league to hit in. It was because he was playing in Boston. Playing in New York, for the Dodgers, for the Red Sox is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>harder than playing anywhere else as far as daily pressure.

He's not going to have pressure in Detroit and he loves Leyland. Renteria will at least have career average numbers of .290/.350/.410/+100 this coming yearand I'd bet they are somewhere between career highs and the average. He's a big upgrade in the field over Guillen and he's a big upgrade at the plate over Santiago.

Like someone else was saying, the more time that passes the more I like this deal. Add a LF and the line-up improves and without the injuries we had in 2007 this team is better than either the 2006 or 2007 teams on paper.

I think Renteria will be a very solid player the next two seasons. I don't think his problems with Boston resulted from being in the American League. It was more likely Boston which got to him. Larussa predicted ahead of time that Renteria was a sensitive player that would not do well in Boston. They really gave up quite a bit though.

Many of the more well-respected posters in here suffer from the same evolutionary flaw that humans possess and that economists have long dealt with...individuals will ALWAYS tend to overvalue their own property.

And that flaw becomes even more pronounced and irrational when said human is a baseball recruitnik and said "property" is a top Detroit Tiger minor league prospect.

Let's hope it works out better than the previous former SS that Leyland had playing for him with another team.

I really like this...we overvalue our prospects

*ding, ding ding* We have a winner. Remember how many people hated the Sheffield trade last year? People always overvalue their prospects.

I love the people who say that DD got hosed. How many times, excatly, has DD gotten "hosed" in his career? Thats what I thought.

I like Edgar, but wow I think we got hosed.

I disagree. We needed a shortstop, and we got one of the best in the big leagues for two prospects. That's a good trade, IMO.

Yes. Renteria had the game winning hit to win the WS in 97.

I could go for another one of those out of him. I'd be pretty happy with that. That would make the trade work out pretty well for me.

The Tigers will owe Renteria roughly $6.3MM in '08 and have a good chance of exercising his $11MM option for '09. They've added a five-win shortstop in Renteria.

The price was reasonable. Jurrjens turns 22 in January and can probably jump into the Braves' rotation. He throws in the 90-93 with good control. Kevin Goldstein projected him as a future middle-rotation guy. The one concern is that shoulder inflammation surfaced in August of this year.

Hernandez is the potential star in the deal. He turned 20 in September and should man center field in Atlanta for a long time once he's ready. He's a burner with solid defense, but he's yet to grow into his power. He's still a ways from the bigs though. Goldstein recently ranked him the game's 10th best CF prospect, behind the Braves' own Jordan Schafer and others like Jay Bruce, Colby Rasmus, Andrew McCutchen, and Jacoby Ellsbury.

ETA: The end of that thought:

All in all, I think the Tigers did quite well here. I'd like the deal a bit more for Atlanta if I felt that Jurrjens could provide 180 solid innings in '08.

I think Boston owes him the 3 million dollar difference there from my prior readings.

Many of the more well-respected posters in here suffer from the same evolutionary flaw that humans possess and that economists have long dealt with...individuals will ALWAYS tend to overvalue their own property.

And that flaw becomes even more pronounced and irrational when said human is a baseball recruitnik and said "property" is a top Detroit Tiger minor league prospect.

What if this was 3 years ago and Verlander and Granderson (who were just prospects) were involved? Would you be saying the same thing? Probably.

Let's hope it works out better than the previous former SS that Leyland had playing for him with another team.

I'm no Branch Rickey, but I have a sneaking suspicion Edgar will do better than Neifi Perez.

Another HUGE plus: This means we won't be getting Jack Wilson!!!

Yes we are. Some douchebag in Pittsburgh said so. :)

I think he hits leadoff and we move Grandy down.

I like this deal.

I like this move a lot as well. The age of our lineup means we need to make a hard run now. I don't think Edgar hits leadoff though. He's been a 2 and 3 hitter for Atlanta and mostly hit 2nd for Boston until he struggled and they moved him down to 6 and 7. He's never been a leadoff hitter in his major league career.

ETA: The end of that thought:

I think Boston owes him the 3 million dollar difference there from my prior readings.

I believe that is correct. Plus I believe Boston owes most/all of the buyout for 2009, if we elect not to exercise the option.

Where did the analysis saying Renteria was a 5-win SS come from? If Renteria is worth 5 wins (by virtue of our upgrade over Sean Casey) he could be a big difference maker in what figures to be another tough AL Central race in 2008.

This makes us a better MLB team next year. Add in a healthy year and we have just as good a shot as anyone and better than we did this year. That being said, I was excited to watching Jair over the next few years. I think he has the potential to really good.