billfer

Tigers trade Jurrjens, Hernandez for Renteria

Wow. Two of the top 4 prospects for a player on the wrong side of 30. No knock on Renteria, but wow.

just heard it on DFN.. Wow!!! have to let this one sink in for awhile..

Holy crap! NO!!!

This is strictly based on emotion. After some thought I may warm up to this, but UGH!!

Dombrowski does not waste any time. I had a strong feeling they would get Renteria. With the age of their line-up, the window of opportunity is now so I'm not surprised they did something like this. That seems like a pretty hefty price to pay though. I figured JJ was going to go but Hernandez surprises me especially from an organization so lacking in position prospects.

Trading JJ was a dumb move. I don't like this trade at all. We get a good shortstop which helps us short term, but trading JJ for him will end up being a huge mistake I think.

That's kinda disappointing, I was really was looking forward to watching JJ develop as a pitcher he was a lot of fun to watch. Renteria should be a very nice addition, but for how long we'll see. I'm excited to have him, but I'm a little uneasy about losing JJ. Gorkys, as talented as he is, is expendable.

Trading JJ was a dumb move. I don't like this trade at all. We get a good shortstop which helps us short term, but trading JJ for him will end up being a huge mistake I think.

Unless they're concerned about his shoulder... hard to say.

I don't mind trading Gorkys...I mean, he has potential, but he is so far off that you have no idea how it would work out. JJ is the concern...but Renteria is a solid player and I think I like this trade.

Seems like a high price, but I'll wait for the heavyweights to put up there analysis before I make a decision.

Well, unless Inge is gone, I guess it is time to wake-up from the A-Rod dream.

I don't like losing JJ or Gorkys, however Renteria/Guillen is a definite upgrade over Guillen/Casey or Santiago/Guillen. Let's just hope he hits like last year instead of like he did in Boston.

I'm fine with the trade of Gorkys...Jurrjens is a bit puzzling. But you have to give up some upside to compete now, and this is a team that's built to compete now. How we fill out our rotation, I'm not sure....but I don't think it's as awful as it looks on the surface. This lineup is going to be nasty.

Dombrowski does not waste any time.

Frankly, I'm shocked that he made this move before addressing out pitching coach situation.

Oh man. Ugh. I feel ill. I like Renteria, but still. It just seems like trading those guys could have gotten better value. I don't mind losing them, I just don't think the return was enough.

I don't like this. My heart sank when I was driving home and heard it.

Mike Valenti loves the deal. He said it could be Dombrowski's best move ever. But of ocurse he also kept referring to "Gorky" Hernandez. Oh well, at least this time he got the last name right.

Bad trade...Renteria is getting older and JJ was magnificent at times last year. Renteria is a career .750 OPS shortstop who has was has had more average years than good years.

Detroit Tigers fill a need, trading for SS Renteria from Braves

October 29, 2007

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Tigers addressed one of their biggest needs Monday, acquiring shortstop Edgar Renteria from the Atlanta Braves for two prospects.

Renteria batted .332 in 124 games with the Braves this year, finishing with 12 homers and 57 RBIs. Detroit went into the offseason needing to add a shortstop after deciding to shift Carlos Guillen to first base.

The Tigers gave up right-hander Jair Jurrjens, who showed signs of promise last season, and minor league outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.

"We are excited to add an All-Star-caliber shortstop in Edgar Renteria to the Tigers organization," Detroit president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said in a statement. "Edgar is a quality player, proven winner and tremendous leader that solidifies our infield."