Jon Kitna

kitnalf5.jpg

Look at this pic. No, seriously. This guy puts his body

on the line every week. Amazing heart. Hopefully it doesnt

get him killed.

Bears:

Brian Griese

griesero4.jpg

Down four, he led his team on an 11 play, 98 yard TD drive with 1:53 left in the

game to win... and he had no timeouts. Mad props. Plus, hes a Michigan guy.

This game is a presentation of:

nflshieldqr0.jpg

Television Broadcast Provided by:

foxsportsbannertj2.jpg

DirecTV channel 709

foxcompah7.jpg

DirecTV HD channel TBA

Recap of the Lions win over the Bucs:

DETROIT -- A snap slipped through Jeff Garcia's hands, and a handoff ended up on the turf.

The Detroit Lions took advantage of both uncharacteristic miscues with touchdowns to beat their former quarterback and another NFC team with a winning record.

Calvin Johnson scored on a 32-yard run midway through the fourth quarter after Garcia's second fumble, and the spectacular play proved to be the difference in a 23-16 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday.

"We were our own worst enemy at crucial times," said Garcia, who hadn't turned the ball over in his first six games with the Bucs. "That's disappointing because in a game like this, it definitely came back to haunt us."

The Lions used to hurt their chances with untimely mistakes, but seem to be turning things around in Rod Marinelli's second year as coach and Matt Millen's seventh season as an executive.

Detroit (4-2) pulled within a game of idle Green Bay in the NFC North, improving to 3-0 at home and surpassing last season's win total.

"We have the pieces to win," said quarterback Jon Kitna, who said he would be disappointed if the Lions didn't win at least 10 games. "We just had to put it altogether."

Against the Bucs, the Lions did.

Detroit ran the ball effectively and threw it efficiently. Defensively, a bend-but-don't-break defense worked well. Jason Hanson rounded out the all-around performance by making all three of his field goals.

The players passed the credit to Marinelli, giving him the game ball after he led them to a win against the team he spent a decade with as an assistant.

"He was quiet," said defensive end Dewayne White, a former Buc, who handed the game ball to Marinelli. "He accepted it, and said 'Thank you.' "

Marinelli downplayed his emotions about playing the Bucs, who gave him his first NFL job in 1996.

"Honestly, my only focus is getting the franchise turned around," he said. "That's what I'm locked in on."

Tampa Bay (4-3) lost a chance to move past idle Carolina in the NFC South, drawing the ire of Ike Hilliard.

"There's not a team that's established itself as the team to beat in the NFC," Hilliard said. "We dropped the ball on this one."

In fact, Garcia dropped two.

Garcia, who played in Detroit for one forgettable season two years ago, botched a handoff in Detroit territory in the first quarter. He also mishandled a snap on a first-and-goal when the Bucs were a yard away from pulling within two points early in the fourth.

"Those were two critical errors on my behalf that hurt," Garcia said.

Capping a 93-yard drive, Johnson broke a few tackles on an end-around to give the Lions a 23-7 lead with 6:28 left.

"That's why he was drafted No. 2 overall," Kitna said. "He stiff-armed one of the best linebackers in the league (Cato June); made another guy (Tanard Jackson) miss; and then dragged one of the NFL's leading tacklers (Barrett Ruud) into the end zone."

But the Bucs hung around.

Garcia connected with Maurice Stovall on a 4-yard pass, then after the 2-point conversion failed, Tampa Bay got the ball back on a unique onside kick. The Bucs bunched up near the hash marks and Matt Bryant's low kick ricocheted off Jared DeVries, and Torrie Cox recovered it.

Bryant's 48-yard kick with 1:04 to go pulled Tampa Bay within seven, but its rally ended when Casey FitzSimmons recovered an onside kick.

Garcia finished 37-of-45 for a season-high 316 yards with two TDs and kept his streak alive without an interception, dating to last season when he was playing for Philadelphia.

Kevin Jones, getting his first start of the season, ran for 76 yards and a TD after Garcia's first fumble.

Kitna was 16-of-20 for 147 yards without a score or a turnover. His chances to make plays were limited by Tampa Bay's methodical offense.

Garcia completed 18 straight passes in the first half, setting a franchise record for consecutive completions in a game, and running back Earnest Graham had career highs with 99 yards receiving and 92 yards rushing.

He has thrown 270 passes without an interception, including attempts in the postseason last season for the Eagles, for the longest active streak.

Notes: Overturned calls helped both QBs in the first quarter, negating fumbles, including Kitna's that was returned for a score. ... The last time the Lions started 4-2 was 2004, when they finished with six wins - the most since Millen took control of the franchise. ... Garcia broke Steve DeBerg's franchise record for consecutive completions in a game, and tied the mark Brad Johnson set spanning two games ... Bucs KR/PR Mark Jones left in the first quarter with a knee injury. ... Garcia had his right hand wrapped after the game, but said it was fine. ... Tampa Bay WR Michael Clayton (ankle) was injured.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved

If the Lions kick it to Hester again, Im going to be 10 different kinds of ticked off.

Lions will lose this game.

And it won't be pretty.

And like Shinma, if they kick to Hester EVERY TIME again, I will drive myself into an overpass.

Something tells me I will be happy that I will be on the road sunday and away from my tv.

The Lions are looking for their first regular season series sweep of the Bears since 2004.

For those that can bet the game...

The Bears are 5 point favorites, and the O/U is 44.

The Lions are 3-2 against the spread this year, Chicago is 2-5.

The Lions are 2-2 as a 'dog, Chicago is 0-4 against the spread as the favorite.

Lions and under.

This is, in my opinion, a Show Me Game.

For the first time in a long time, I feel like this is a game that the Lions should win. Not can win. Not might win. But should win. If they are able to go into Chicago and come home with a win, they will have shown me that they are a good team, and that Marinelli might finally be the man for the Lions to all get behind.

On the other hand, if they go in there and lay an egg, they will have shown me that they are not a majorly improved team and that they will have a long way to go.

Every game is a show me game. The Lions have nothing to lose. This is a trap game for the Bears. Lions will win.

why is this a trap game for the Bears?

This is a revenge game for the Bears. Bears win.

why is this a trap game for the Bears?

This is a revenge game for the Bears. Bears win.

Typical Chicagoan.

I don't think that I'd refer to Buddha as a typical Chicagoan. After all, he does root for the Detroit teams to the best of my knowledge.

I don't think that I'd refer to Buddha as a typical Chicagoan. After all, he does root for the Detroit teams to the best of my knowledge.

Cruzer's just messing with me.

I will change my previous prediction and call a Lions victory Sunday. Lions will have a "chance" at 11 victories if they win tomorrow!!! Helps that I've had a few beers in me tonight already though!!!

This is, in my opinion, a Show Me Game.

For the first time in a long time, I feel like this is a game that the Lions should win. Not can win. Not might win. But should win.

Cmon Red, you know from experience there's no such thing as a road game that the Lions should win. Even this season they haven't played well enough away from home for anyone to actually expect a victory in Soldier Field.

I'm not saying that I necessarily think they will win... I'm saying that given the talent and scheme that team A has and the injuries and less than stellar offense that team B is dealing with that team A should win this game, even with it being at team B's field. If I wasn't a Lions fan and was picking this game in a weekly picks contest I would pick the Lions to win given the above mentioned things.

I don't think this is a "Show Me" win...

I think it's a "Need" win.

Detroit needs to get this win because they HAVE to get a road win or two in the remainder of the season... and Chicago is one of the most vulnerable teams they can get one, along with Zona and Minny. If they want a legitimate shot at 10 wins and/or the playoffs, I think they need to win 2 of 3 between Bears, Cardinals, and Vikings.

I don't think they'll get to 10 wins though, even if they take 2 of the 3... I think they conceivably could get to 8. But for their sake (the players...), winning this game would be a tremendous confidence booster and might even get them all the way to Kitna's prediction. If they get all 3 road games, I'll predict they get to 9 wins. So, IMO... this Chicago game, for Detroit... is a NEED win.

For Chicago, they can NOT afford to lose many more games if they still hope to get into the playoffs. Their schedule "looks" not terribly difficult for the remainder of the season. But... they have 4 losses already, and have dangerous games against the Seahawks ®, Broncos (H), Giants (H), Redskins ®, and Packers (H).

They can NOT afford to lose to the Lions, IMO.

I wouldn't call this game a MUST WIN game...

But I think, for both teams... it's a NEED win.

I think it'll tell us alot about the Lions team this year. IE: Whether they can take a step forward into being a legitimate contender (for a playoff spot, not for the SB certainly), or whether they still have too far to go and will become one of the mass of NFL "parity" teams at 6-10 to 9-7. (I'm going with them as an 8-8 team if they lose this one...).

This is a must-win game for the Bears. They can't afford to be 1-3 in the division with a road game against Minnesota coming up.

The Lions need to reverse their trend of being a horrible road team. After a good game in week one they have had 2 embarrasing road games in a row. Honestly, I'm hoping for but not expecting a win against the Bears. But mostly I really, really want them to play a solid, competitive game - like they have done in each of their home games. If the Lions can start playing competitive games on the road then they should be able to win 1-2 road games from here on out. Combine that with 2-3 more home wins and the season will be a success at 8-8 or better.

The key to this game, imo, is a good pash rush. If Kalimba is his usual, unremarkable self, I'd like to see a lot of Devries or even Langston Moore at DE. We need a pash rush from the other side to compliment White and the DTs. Iirc, Devries had a good game against the Bears last time.

If it's not Edwards, who had a really good game last week, then it would be Corey Smith at RE.

If it's not Edwards, who had a really good game last week, then it would be Corey Smith at RE.

You think Edwards had a really good game last week? He had one stop on the run early in the game but I didn't notice him after that.

Corey Smith was good at DE last year but he hasn't done much this year. I'm not sure what the snap breakdown is between Edwards/Smith this year but neither of those guys seems like much of a factor to me, and that's why I'm looking for other options. I saw that they put Moore at DE once and even Rogers for a couple of snaps and those guys immediately created havoc in the backfield.

You have to remember, Cruzer actually thinks Edwards is good. :)

Corey Smith is better than Edwards. Shaun Rogers at DE is better than Edwards. Devries is better than Edwards.

Nothing would please me more than A Lions win. After a summer of being over-run by FIPs(Friendly Illinois People) clogging the restaurants and beaches another blow to the Chicago arrogance would be euphoric.

However,

1. The Lions are not a road team.

2. Bears are a much healthier team than last time.

3. Griese is clicking

4. Bears are sore from the last meeting and will be playing mad.

5. This game is the season for the Bears. A Lions sweep would pretty well

rule them out of any playoff possibility.

So, it hurts to say, I think the Bears have it.

You have to remember, Cruzer actually thinks Edwards is good. :)

Corey Smith is better than Edwards. Shaun Rogers at DE is better than Edwards. Devries is better than Edwards.

Your posts are sometimes correct. This isn't one of them. I always said Edwards is talented, not good. He's been better this year, which is so far his best year yet. He's been pretty darn good at the point of attack, which he blows away Smith at. Shaun Rogers was at LDE for one snap, against an overmatched Jeremy Trueblood; who gave up three sacks to White.