zachcadillac

Twins/Tigers April 13

I see there's no game thread yet, so...

The offense hasn't been too bad to this point (through 6 innings.) Good to hear Torres has two hits, as does Young. But we're not going to win many games if our number one pitcher gives up the lead three separate times in less than six innings.

Let's hope the Tigers can rally. 4-3 in the seventh.

Tigers trail but have more hits than Min. Tigers had more hits in last night's game too. "Bright side", I guess, but I want a win!

Halter was pulled after two innings. He booted a grounder in the first and almost double-clutched another into an error in the second. Salazar took over in the 3rd, although they never said why. It's possible halter got hurt, but they usually report such things after about an inning...

Oh, and 2002 apparently will not be Weaver's break-out year, either.

Unbelievable...I really thought tonight was the night, after the Twins went ahead in the first and the Tigers rallied...I thought Weaver would shut 'em down.

Random Thoughts:

*Craig Paquette should be fined for swinging at the first pitch with two on and nobody out (I forget what inning...third, maybe?) This team does not score a lot of runs and they can't afford to waste opportunities by being overagressive.

*I was only able to listen to the game, but from what I heard Rivera was really overmatched by Milton's fastball. That's not good at all...Milton really doesn't throw very hard.

*Dean Palmer is a gamer and seems like a great person, but he is really hurting an already weak team by basically forcing his way into the lineup. At this point, I have to think Meluskey and Simon are better options. I know its only been a handful of at-bats, but he hasn't really come close to a hit, and he looks awful most of the time. I hate to say this (and I know it sounds rash) but I think if Palmer can't play 3rd base regularly by the middle of the season, DD should cut bait. I've been reading a lot about "sunk costs," where a team recognizes that they're paying someone who is not only not helping them, but hurting them, and severs ties despite the financial hit. This seems like a case where that may end up as the right decision.

If this makes no sense, oh well. I'll wake up tomorrow as my usual optimistic self. After all, the Tigers are going to beat Joe Mays.

Originally posted by zachcadillac

*Dean Palmer is a gamer and seems like a great person, but he is really hurting an already weak team by basically forcing his way into the lineup. At this point, I have to think Meluskey and Simon are better options.

Hey ZachCadillac-ac-ac-ac-ac-ac,

Palmer working too hard can give you a

Heart attack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack

You oughta know by now

You oughta know by now

Who needs a DH who can't hit out of a sack

Is that all you get for your money

And it seems such a waste of time

If that's what it's all about

Mr Ilitch, if that's movin' up then I'm movin' out

Mm, I'm movin' out

Oh ya, if any of you disagree with my comments, beware, you should never argue with a Crazy mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mind like mine.:P

In ninth something that disapointed me was Torres swinging at ball 4 with the count 3-1 and nobody out down four runs with nobody on. Merv should be pounding it into his head, your job is not to hit the ball but to get on base by any means and use that speed.

Originally posted by soakitup

In ninth something that disapointed me was Torres swinging at ball 4 with the count 3-1 and nobody out down four runs with nobody on. Merv should be pounding it into his head, your job is not to hit the ball but to get on base by any means and use that speed.

I don't have so much of a problem with a rookie swinging at a 3-1 pitch. Hell, he's one of the few Tiger batters that's even seen a 3 ball count this year.

I'm more concerned with Paquette, Macias, and Magee hacking at every 0-0 pitch they see. And zach is right -- Palmer has one job on this team right now: to hit. A DH who can't hit is worthless. He looked absolutely horrible today.

Not to blame the umps or anything...:)

But with 2 outs and Torri Hunter on 1st in bottom 8th....he stole 2nd...it was a bang bang call so I dont mind that the ump called him safe...but did anyone notice the pitch was right down the middle and the ump called it a ball to Mienkewictz?

The ump forgot what he was doing when Hunter started to steal....the next pitch was ball 2....then it went to a 3-2 count before Meinke was walked and Twins went on to score 3 to make it 7-3....then Tigers got 1st 2 runners on....of course if Twins hadnt scored 3 they wouldnt have had Latroy Hawkins they would have had Eddie Romero.

Another thing....when Paquette was thrown out at 3rd I didnt yell at him...but then with 2 outs and HIggy on 1st..Dmitri Young at bat...Higginson tried to steal 2nd and was thrown out. It was pointless since then the Twins would have intentionally walked Young to get too rookie Oscar Salazar...this new manager Pujols doesnt look 1/2 as good as Garner yet. I wish they would have fired Garner at end of last year...now it shows this isnt Garners fault so much...any thoughts?

Originally posted by TigersDraftPick

with 2 outs and HIggy on 1st..Dmitri Young at bat...Higginson tried to steal 2nd and was thrown out. It was pointless since then the Twins would have intentionally walked Young to get too rookie Oscar Salazar...

Good observation.

Also Higgy went on a 2-1 pitch and the pitch was a ball making it 3-1 count. They did run themselves out that inning.

Paquette did seem to swing at 2 bad pitches in the ninth, helping Hawkins who was having control problems.

Take what the pitcher gives you. If he throws 4 bad pitches, take a walk and let the next guy do his job. Swing at strikes, that all I ask for.

Holygoat, I totally agree he is just a rookie and it's one at bat and that's all I was disapointed about. But the reason I focus on Torres has the chance to be part of the rebuilding process errr, at this point the building process whereas Paquette, Macias, and Magee are just part of the 0-10 process and won't have any major part if any in winning Tigers team.