bibbits

What it might look like.

Different people have opinions about what the team could look like in 2008 and here are some thoughts I have.

The team is going to change. Since the move of Guillen is "offical" now, its time to gaze into the crystal ball and see what could happen. Everyone says Renteria, Tejada, or A-Rod is coming to Detroit. When it comes to shortstop, I really only see one of two things really happening. We will eitherl trade for Wilson (2 minor leaguers I would bet) or we will sign Omar Vizquel. Vizquel had a down year with the bat, but he is still a great defensive shortstop. I think he would split time with Santiago as the primary shortstop.

Left field is set up for some sort of a "platoon" situation. I think we may actually sign Kenny Lofton. He could be part of a rotation with Thames and Perez.

Lofton and Vizquel are older players, but they could be solid role players that are relatively inexpensive and allow for some younger players to develop. Truthfully, it would benefit the Tigers to be able to "manufacture" runs and play a little small ball.

Omar Infante becomes trade bait. The offensive side of things could look like this for the Tigers:

starters:1b-guilen 2b-polanco ss-vizquel 3b-inge lf-lofton cf-granderson rf-ordonez c-rodriguez dh-sheffield

bench---c-rabelo ss/2b-santiago 3b-of--rayburn lf/rf/1b-thames

I don't see how we can improve with that lineup. I guess I am just concerned since our players are all getting older, and there is no big new bat there to help offset what could be a few declines in production. And I just inherently worry about Inge's ability to improve from this year.

Holy crap.... our upgrades are Lofton and Vizquel?

I never claim to know what's going to happen, but for the first time since I joined this site, I can safely say with 100% certainty that that's not going to happen.

I agree that lineup is a down grade. I can't see DD going after either Lofton or Vizquel as primary additions. I still believe there is going to be a trade, and it wouldn't surprise me if Tejada is the shortstop next year.

Are we going to become the '95 Indians? I highly doubt we'd get either Lofton or Vizquel. And if we did, we'd get them to play full time. If we're going to spend on a free agent, we're not going to put them in a platoon with Timo/Raburn or Ramon/Omar. We could do that anyway without paying someone.

I also think that is going to be either Renteria or Tejada, they are going to need someone there that can find the seats at least 20-30 times next year. As for left field I am not sure about that. I do know that they can not go with Timo out there everyday, and a platoon with Thames and Raburn is not the answer.

I was wondering with what you guys thought about this option for next year: decline the option on Pudge and try to sign LoDuca. LoDuca will be cheaper and probably give you what Pudge will. He does not strike a lot and he walks more than 10 times a year. I mean he will hit about .270 to .280 then you have more money to spend on the other holes to. I am not sure about LoDuca and his defense and health though.

Different people have opinions about what the team could look like in 2008 and here are some thoughts I have.

The team is going to change. Since the move of Guillen is "offical" now, its time to gaze into the crystal ball and see what could happen. Everyone says Renteria, Tejada, or A-Rod is coming to Detroit. When it comes to shortstop, I really only see one of two things really happening. We will eitherl trade for Wilson (2 minor leaguers I would bet) or we will sign Omar Vizquel. Vizquel had a down year with the bat, but he is still a great defensive shortstop. I think he would split time with Santiago as the primary shortstop.

Left field is set up for some sort of a "platoon" situation. I think we may actually sign Kenny Lofton. He could be part of a rotation with Thames and Perez.

Lofton and Vizquel are older players, but they could be solid role players that are relatively inexpensive and allow for some younger players to develop. Truthfully, it would benefit the Tigers to be able to "manufacture" runs and play a little small ball.

Omar Infante becomes trade bait. The offensive side of things could look like this for the Tigers:

starters:1b-guilen 2b-polanco ss-vizquel 3b-inge lf-lofton cf-granderson rf-ordonez c-rodriguez dh-sheffield

bench---c-rabelo ss/2b-santiago 3b-of--rayburn lf/rf/1b-thames

we would need a special dispensation form medicare to field that lineup it would be so old!!!You can't have 3 40 year old guys on one team unless it's bowling..

The line-up needs to get younger and Lofton and Vizquel would definitely make the rest of the line-up younger.

The line-up needs to get younger and Lofton and Vizquel would definitely make the rest of the line-up younger.

That's a perspective that I hadn't considered. You're definitely on to something.

I never claim to know what's going to happen, but for the first time since I joined this site, I can safely say with 100% certainty that that's not going to happen.

Agreed. And if by chance it does, I shall cry. Vizquel, I could live with(barely, one year, tops), but Lofton? Ugh.

My research tells me that the Detroit Tigers are the only team in the major leagues that Kenny Lofton has not played for..or does it just seem like that??

it does seem that kenny lofton has played for everyone in the universe. surprising, he has done it in a short time. lofton would be okay as a part time player i guess. i think the tigers ought to trade for marte & wilson from the pirates (when wilson stops banging heads with other players) and maybe sign like a veteran free-agent starter for the 5th spot like livan herandez or jon lieber. those guys could eat innings and be holding a spot until jurrjens or miller are ready.

My research tells me that the Detroit Tigers are the only team in the major leagues that Kenny Lofton has not played for..or does it just seem like that??

Isn't Reggie Sanders due to change teams again???

kenny lofton platooning in left field with raburn is the best idea i've heard in a while. talk about the perfect 1 year stop gap until maybin comes along. lead him off with his .380 OBP against righties, drop granderson to the 6 hole, and you've got quite the lineup again. and cheap. not bad defensively either.

what about Podsednick for lf he is a legit leadoff hitter with speed that allows us to move Grandy lower in the lineup. I think he's a free agent

what about Podsednick for lf he is a legit leadoff hitter with speed that allows us to move Grandy lower in the lineup. I think he's a free agent

It has (so the announcers say in Hawkland) that Pods will not be re-signed. Perhaps he would be a decent pickup. He's got a great glove, no doubt about that. Perhaps if he became more consistent at the plate......oh heck. Who knows??

Pods..Kenny Lofton..blech..please tell me we can do better..a 41 year old judy hitter and Scott"freakin Podsednik..arm of Timo, glove of Timo..with a bat far worse than Timo..(shuddering)..not good..

Get creative and figure out how to pry Shane Victorino loose from Philly..there is a budding, sweet, annoying lead off man..

Aaron Rowand might be a nice fit. Not that I'd want to move Grandy out of center, but if you put Rowand out there you'd at least know that no one is gonna hit a ball all the way to the center field wall so he wont run face first into it......

kenny lofton platooning in left field with raburn is the best idea i've heard in a while. talk about the perfect 1 year stop gap until maybin comes along. lead him off with his .380 OBP against righties, drop granderson to the 6 hole, and you've got quite the lineup again. and cheap. not bad defensively either.

I'd rather bring back Willie Horton than bring in Lofton.Aren't they the same age?

I'd rather bring back Willie Horton than bring in Lofton.Aren't they the same age?

I'm pretty sure Horton is younger, but Lofton bats left handed. :cheeky:

My 2008 Dream Team:

CF Granderson-L

2B Polanco-R

DH Sheffield-R

3B CABRERA-R Trade-Jurrjens, Inge, Bazardo

RF Ordonez-R

LF BONDS-L Free Agent(14m)

1B Guillen-S

SS RENTERIA-R Trade-Vasquez, Tata, Infante

C ESTRADA-S Trade-Thames, Trahern

C Rabelo-S

IF/OF Raburn-R

MP Santiago-S

OF/1B WILKERSON-L FA(3m) -later replaced by Maybin

R-Verlander

L-WILLIS Trade-Clevlen, DeLaCruz, Larish

R-Bonderman

L-Robertson

L-CAPUANO Trade-Miner, Hollimon

R-L.HERNANDEZ Free Agent(5m)

R-CORDERO Free Agent(7m)

R-Zumaya

R-Rodney

R-LINEBRINK Free Agent(3.5m)

L-MARTE Trade-McBride, Rapada, Lambert

L-Seay -later replaced by Miller

This will obviously never happen, DD wouldn't sell the farm..

but I can dream can't I?

My 2008 Dream Team:

CF Granderson-L

2B Polanco-R

DH Sheffield-R

3B CABRERA-R Trade-Jurrjens, Inge, Bazardo

RF Ordonez-R

LF BONDS-L Free Agent(14m)

1B Guillen-S

SS RENTERIA-R Trade-Vasquez, Tata, Infante

C ESTRADA-S Trade-Thames, Trahern

C Rabelo-S

IF/OF Raburn-R

MP Santiago-S

OF/1B WILKERSON-L FA(3m) -later replaced by Maybin

R-Verlander

L-WILLIS Trade-Clevlen, DeLaCruz, Larish

R-Bonderman

L-Robertson

L-CAPUANO Trade-Miner, Hollimon

R-L.HERNANDEZ Free Agent(5m)

R-CORDERO Free Agent(7m)

R-Zumaya

R-Rodney

R-LINEBRINK Free Agent(3.5m)

L-MARTE Trade-McBride, Rapada, Lambert

L-Seay -later replaced by Miller

This will obviously never happen, DD wouldn't sell the farm..

but I can dream can't I?

So you want to get worse instead of better? I'm taking this post as humor, sort of like an Onion article.