Mike

Griese to start Sunday against Lions

Report: Griese to start Sunday against Lions

ESPN.com news services

Updated: September 25, 2007, 5:50 PM ET

Rex Grossman's latest meltdown reportedly will have him standing on the sidelines this week.

The Chicago Bears need to bench Rex Grossman, and not just for a game or two. For good, writes Len Pasquarelli.

The Chicago Tribune, citing an anonymous source, reported on its Web site that backup Brian Griese will replace Grossman as the starting quarterback when the Bears face the Lions.

Chicago returns to practice on Wednesday to prepare for Sunday's game at Detroit.

Grossman threw three interceptions as the Chicago Bears fell to the Dallas Cowboys 34-10 on Sunday night.

Grossman ranks 23rd in the league with 500 yards, has a 45.2 rating and is 47-of-89 (52.8 percent) with a league-leading six interceptions and just one touchdown.

A Pro Bowl pick with Denver in 2000, Griese has passed for 16,564 yards, but has also been released three times -- by the Broncos, Miami and Tampa Bay.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

How is Grossman any different than Harrington?

Also how is Griese is going to be any better?

I hope the Bears fans enjoyed their fluky season last year because it's now downhill from there.

I've been a Grossman fan, mostly because he's a Gator. He started out all right, but he has been absolutely PUTRID since early last year. Griese can't do any worse. Heck, at this point, the Bears would be better off having Vince Evans suit up and play QB instead of Grossman.

Unless Griese is starting for the Bears at CB, DT, or as a punt returner, I like the Bears' chances. I say the Bears win 30-7 on the strength of three Devin Hester special teams TDs and three field goals off of Lions turnovers.

I've had a bad feeling about this game since Griese was named starter.

Unless Griese is starting for the Bears at CB, DT, or as a punt returner, I like the Bears' chances. I say the Bears win 30-7 on the strength of three Devin Hester special teams TDs and three field goals off of Lions turnovers.

Punt it out of bounds, problem solved. The Lions won't kick it anywhere near Hester. They didn't last year, won't this year. The Lions should be able to move the ball on the Bears at will. No excuse for not beating the Bears this week.

The Lions SHOULD win this game. No Vasher, Tillman, Mike Brown, Harris, Archelutea has a broken hand, Ruben Brown is hurt. It's in Detroit.

And they're still a 3 point underdog.

The Bears have can't run the ball, have terrible receivers, an aging offensive line and a washed up noodle armed QB behind center. The strength of their team is decimated by injuries.

The only way the Lions should lose this game is if they get stupid and kick it to Hester or turn the ball over a bunch of times. If the secondary can't look good against this sorry bunch of receivers then they're in big trouble.

Punt it out of bounds, problem solved. The Lions won't kick it anywhere near Hester. They didn't last year, won't this year. The Lions should be able to move the ball on the Bears at will. No excuse for not beating the Bears this week.

If the Lions kick the ball to Hester I'll put my foot through the television.

Although it is feast or famine with him. The Cowboys kicked to him and he fumbled, so did the Chargers. If I were the Lions, I wouldn't take the chance, just kick it out of bounds or kick it so high he has to call a fair catch.

If Kitna turns the ball over they will lose, and if he doesn't they'll win. Yeah it's oversimplifying big time, but I bet this turns out to be true come Sunday.

This is a HUGE game for the Lions. If they can win this game, this will really set themselves up to be a playoff team. If they lose to a beat up, and newly changed Bears team at home, I think they will be showing that they probably don't have what it takes to be a playoff team yet. Winning games early in the season really helps teams get over the top when it comes to the end of the year IMO.

This should be a GREAT game. I hope we can take care of business at home!

Me too. Vince Young & Drew Brees are both on bye weeks & I thought "What the heck." I was beginning to think about throwing Brees on the scrap heap anyway.