hueytaxi

Rick Porcello

He's not our #1 prospect.....Maybin still is....but Porcello is a pretty close second in my rankings.

Where do you rank Gorkys?

This is from before the 2007 season.

Posted by Yoda this last January

Organizational Rankings:

Ranked 7th by Baseball America

Ranked 3rd by Baseball Prospectus

Ranked 5th (B-) by Sickles

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1002453&postcount=160

Gorkys is 4th in my current rankings....behind Maybin, Porcello, and Jurrjens. Heading into the 2007 season, he was 7th on my rankings at TigsTown.

I'm a little confused by the high rankings on Hernandez. Are his tools far superior to his performance? From the numbers, he's got good contact, but doesn't seem to walk much or hit for power, so his OPS is pretty poor. Is he a fabulous defender?

Rob

Gorkys is 4th in my current rankings....behind Maybin, Porcello, and Jurrjens. Heading into the 2007 season, he was 7th on my rankings at TigsTown.

Where is Miller? Did he fall off the prospect bus? According to the Tigers he will start in the minor's next year. If Jurrjens is still a prospect, isn't Miller?

I'm a little confused by the high rankings on Hernandez. Are his tools far superior to his performance? From the numbers, he's got good contact, but doesn't seem to walk much or hit for power, so his OPS is pretty poor. Is he a fabulous defender?

Rob

Hernandez impressing Tigers, scouts

West Michigan center fielder makes Futures Game roster

So you can never have too many guys up the middle.

That's what Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski seems to think.

While some Major League teams would love to have just one center fielder, Detroit is loaded with them. 26-year-old Curtis Granderson currently patrols center at Comerica Park while super prospect Cameron Maybin is tearing through the Minors, earning a spot on the U.S. Team in the 2007 Futures Game.

Get ready to add another one to the list.

Gorkys Hernandez, currently playing with Detroit's Class A West Michigan Whitecaps, will also be attending the 2007 Futures Game in San Francisco. He'll also be playing center field -- for the World Team.

He also just turned 20 last month. So he was only 19 this last season. His power number will improve with age. Heh if Rollins can do it, so can Gorkys.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070702&content_id=269081&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

Gorkys is second only to Maybin in terms of tools in the system....and the only one he trails significantly on is power potential. He still projects to hit tons of doubles and 12-18 homers a year at his peak, but that's not Maybin class. Speed, defense, ability to hit for average, they're all nearly even with Maybin.....his arm is strong but not as strong as Maybin's....and at his age, he's showed a good understanding of the strike zone.

Where is Miller? Did he fall off the prospect bus? According to the Tigers he will start in the minor's next year. If Jurrjens is still a prospect, isn't Miller?

He's pitched more than 50 innings at the big league level; therefore he doesn't qualify for prospect lists any longer.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you at all about Maybin's defensive skills.

I have seen him play several games in center field and he has no natural outfield instincts even in center field.

In the games I saw He misjudged a lot of fly balls

Sorry folks, but in my opinion he is an average outfielder at best.

Gorkys I have not seen, but all the reports that I have seen including the one that I posted rave about his defense.

You've seen a few games.....and FSL and MWL managers have seen nearly two hundred games from him and rave about everything he does defensively.....sorry if I put more stock in their word, than yours.

Sorry folks, but in my opinion...

Well, I guess we can close the book on this debate.

You've seen a few games.....and FSL and MWL managers have seen nearly two hundred games from him and rave about everything he does defensively.....sorry if I put more stock in their word, than yours.

Fair enough.

I am sure that you will actually see him play next year or the year after. You can then make your own opinion. At that time let us compare notes. Hopefully you will be proved correct.

I've watched him play....i saw him six times at West Michigan in 2006, plenty during spring training this year, and nearly every game he played in Detroit.....and I'd tend to agree with the two dozen coaches and scouts I've spoken with.

I've watched him play....i saw him six times at West Michigan in 2006, plenty during spring training this year, and nearly every game he played in Detroit.....and I'd tend to agree with the two dozen coaches and scouts I've spoken with.

Okay

In other words, he knows more about Tiger prospects than you will ever. Don't take it as an insult though.

In other words, he knows more about Tiger prospects than you will ever. Don't take it as an insult though.

To be fair to Buddhafan, Maybin looked absolutely awful defensively (well, we're just talking defense here) with the Tigers. You don't have to be a scout to know that. Not sure if that was nerves, overworking/overthinking or what, but everything I have heard does seem to indicate that was only at the MLB level.

While I have been critical of Maybin, he does have the tools and can use them. The last CF we had in Lakeland with his abilities is his competition, Granderson. The two hang together and Curtis will mentor him. What more could you ask of him? He is the real prospect for the future. I've watched him in every Lakeland appearance and many on the road, the scouts and staff have him correctly depicted.

To be fair to Buddhafan, Maybin looked absolutely awful defensively (well, we're just talking defense here) with the Tigers. You don't have to be a scout to know that. Not sure if that was nerves, overworking/overthinking or what, but everything I have heard does seem to indicate that was only at the MLB level.

Oh for sure.

Seeing though is not always believing, and in this case you kind of have to go with what the other guys are saying. Now if the next time we see him in a Tigers uniform and he hasn't improved, then maybe we start to re-examine.

Just basing something in a matter of fact disposition after a few televised games is dramatization at its finest in my book. It's fine to armchair scout to your heart's desire, but i really can't stand it when(guys from sickels,here..etc) get to the point where they really believe every word they say. Players/scouts around the game must laugh hard when they read stuff like this.

If your not around the game and the players you have nothing more going for your precognitions than second hand, and in most cases, third hand information. I'm not so sure seeing Maybin on televison a handful of times is basis for the prgonosios Buddhafan handed out

In my mind Maybin is far from a finished product, hell we might not see the Maybin we expect to see until he's 24/25. Although the great ones learn quick, so we'll see.

I think some folks are wanting too much too soon. I see all the tools in place and understand the process. As long as he has the diligence, smarts and commitment to excellence he will be fine. His defense will be the least of his worries if he doesn't develop consistent contact skills IMO.

While I have been critical of Maybin, he does have the tools and can use them. The last CF we had in Lakeland with his abilities is his competition, Granderson. The two hang together and Curtis will mentor him. What more could you ask of him? He is the real prospect for the future. I've watched him in every Lakeland appearance and many on the road, the scouts and staff have him correctly depicted.

This reason alone Huey is why I feel confident about Maybin's future more than anything else.

I realize I am a little late to this thread, but I honestly don't think too highly of Maybin's defense at this point. While he might have the tools and the desire to improve in the future, I have seen little to no indicators of this in the present.

I've seen him play maybe 70+ times in the last year (I watched him in IL, ST, Lakeland ball, and I've also seen him on TV with DET). As of right now, he has serious trouble running routes, his misjudges fly balls, he has trouble playing balls that bounce off the wall, and the majority of the great catches he makes stem from misjudging the ball in the first place.

His attitude in the fall and spring was great. It seemed a little lax when he was playing High A ball, but I sincerely believe he has a good head on his shoulders. I hope the best for the kid and I think he will do well, but his defense (or lack of) seriously concerns me.

So Bondo is saying that Buddafan is a precog? Interesting! Hey Micro you better be careful, there could be a red ball in your future! :-) Goodbye Crow...

Maybin can play until he is 100, his defensive skills will never approach those of Clevlen period.

Even Granderson isn't that much better than Clevlen, if at all, when it comes to defense including throwing.

I realize I am a little late to this thread, but I honestly don't think too highly of Maybin's defense at this point. While he might have the tools and the desire to improve in the future, I have seen little to no indicators of this in the present.

I've seen him play maybe 70+ times in the last year (I watched him in IL, ST, Lakeland ball, and I've also seen him on TV with DET). As of right now, he has serious trouble running routes, his misjudges fly balls, he has trouble playing balls that bounce off the wall, and the majority of the great catches he makes stem from misjudging the ball in the first place.

His attitude in the fall and spring was great. It seemed a little lax when he was playing High A ball, but I sincerely believe he has a good head on his shoulders. I hope the best for the kid and I think he will do well, but his defense (or lack of) seriously concerns me.

Agree 100%

Maybin can play until he is 100, his defensive skills will never approach those of Clevlen period.

Even Granderson isn't that much better than Clevlen, if at all, when it comes to defense including throwing.

Clevlen is a very good corner OFer, and an average CFer. Saying that Granderson is no botter than that is just foolish.

Out of curriosity, because I know little about you, what experience, if any, do you have in scouting? Some of the stuff you come up with just boggles my mind.