hueytaxi

Rick Porcello

I hope they let him pitch at least one whole year in the minors and don't bring him up ala Miller at all next year.

Miller had college experience. There's no way they'd bring a high school pitcher up that fast.

As an aside, if Porcello was the same age as Miller, I wouldn't hold him back just because Miller wasn't all that effective. You can't just judge a pitcher based on what another one did. That's just a big pet peeve of mine. They're all different and should be treated as such, in my opinion.

The stirrups over white socks are normal here. Lot of the kids have problems sweating in anything except white absorbant socks. I knoww I did when working.

I am wondering if it is a new requirement. This last season I heard one of the Whitecaps whining....er talking about having to wear them, and saying how the white socks underneith can be a pain in the neck. :wink:

I would put the chances at Porcello seeing the Majors next year at about as close to zero as you can get.....now, late 2009 on the other hand, I wouldn't rule out.

Wow....

I'm happy with the pick, but I still didn't he would sniff MLB for several years. Your post is certainly something that will keep me happy heading into this offseason.

Wow....

I'm happy with the pick, but I still didn't he would sniff MLB for several years. Your post is certainly something that will keep me happy heading into this offseason.

I agree with you..... I hope the guys turns out to be star, but can we wait until he at least throws a pitch in the minors before we say he's the next great one?

I've seen people on here who think he is the #2 prospect the Tigers have and he hasn't even thrown a pitch. :surprise:

Having said that, I sure hope he starts out down here in Lakeland. I can't wait to see if he is the real thing.

All minor leaguers have to...

Great job as always Roger! Thanks a lot!!

I've heard this before, but we went to a minor league game a couple of months ago (Lansing Lugnuts) and they definitley were not wearing high socks. Very few, actually.

Looks like he's actually wearing stirrups, not just black socks. I just assumed what the guys wore now were regular black socks.

Blue, right? Tiger uniforms don't have black socks, right?

In order to stuff all that 7 mil into his pockets, Mr. P got a major league contract, so we will see his name on the 40 man for a while.

I've heard this before, but we went to a minor league game a couple of months ago (Lansing Lugnuts) and they definitley were not wearing high socks. Very few, actually.

Yeah it's an organizational thing. All the Tigers minor leaguers have to wear their socks high. It looks way better. Some other teams look like they're wearing sweat pants rather than a baseball uniform.

I've seen people on here who think he is the #2 prospect the Tigers have and he hasn't even thrown a pitch. :surprise:

And I'd have to say that those people that believe he's the #2 prospect in the system are 100% correct. For me, he's closer to Maybin at #1, than he is to Jurrjens at #3.

Actually he's thrown lots of pitches. Enough to get a feel for how much talent he his, which is an awful lot.

Actually he's thrown lots of pitches. Enough to get a feel for how much talent he his, which is an awful lot.

I agree tons of talent.....or so I've read !! Talent doesn't always equal success, JMO that a guy shouldn't be penciled into the Tigers rotation til' he's proved he can play against pro's.

Not hating on the guy, can't wait to see him pitch. I'm sure he'll be great, but let's see how he develops.

And I'd have to say that those people that believe he's the #2 prospect in the system are 100% correct. For me, he's closer to Maybin at #1, than he is to Jurrjens at #3.

So how good do you think this guy will be? What mold does he fit....ie. Bonderman type. I heven't seen him pitch, so I guess thats why I'm not on the "hype" machine yet. How does he look? I'm assuming you guys have seen him pitch.

Man I can't wait til' spring. I sure hope he pitches like a "#2 prospect" and that he starts out here in Lakeland.

So how good do you think this guy will be? What mold does he fit....ie. Bonderman type. I heven't seen him pitch, so I guess thats why I'm not on the "hype" machine yet. How does he look? I'm assuming you guys have seen him pitch.

Man I can't wait til' spring. I sure hope he pitches like a "#2 prospect" and that he starts out here in Lakeland.

Well if anything he is more of a Verlander type. He throws 94-98 from what I've read and heard. He has a slider and curve. Can't remember which is more bread and butter, wanna say curve. His change is not bad at this point, so right there the Bonderman talk should end :glasses:.

He has been compared to Josh Beckett/Verlander. So expect a flame thrower with average to good command in the mold of one of the 2 early on. Will most likely mirror Verlander early on, hopefully a bit more consistent command out of the gate. Not sure how his "stuff" is in comparison. By stuff I mean strikeout potential/bb-k rate and groundball inducer. I would guess he's a 1.5-2.0 gb ratio type guy. Does he become strikeout king right away like a Peavy(200+ plus guy), or takes more time to hone the craft?

It would be nice to have a 210+ plus k pitcher :grin:

Will most likely mirror Verlander early on, hopefully a bit more consistent command out of the gate. QUOTE]

Thanks for the info., another Verlander would be nice.:classic: I'm anxious to see how polished and consistent he is right out of high school. 98mph and a little wild would be fun to see for a little while too though. lol

I don't visit the minor league forums as much as I should, but i've been given the understanding that Maybin is one of the best prospects in baseball and i've always been very high on Jurrjens. As far as Porcello, I heard he was 'probably' the best of a 'very good' high school year in the draft. Doesn't necessarily ring Calvin Johnson type prospect to me.

Is he truly closer to that 'elite' prospect, or is this an indication of trouble at the minor league level still?

I don't visit the minor league forums as much as I should, but i've been given the understanding that Maybin is one of the best prospects in baseball and i've always been very high on Jurrjens. As far as Porcello, I heard he was 'probably' the best of a 'very good' high school year in the draft. Doesn't necessarily ring Calvin Johnson type prospect to me.

Is he truly closer to that 'elite' prospect, or is this an indication of trouble at the minor league level still?

Porcello is the best prospect from a very strong high school class. He is definitely an elite prospect.

I agree tons of talent.....or so I've read !! Talent doesn't always equal success, JMO that a guy shouldn't be penciled into the Tigers rotation til' he's proved he can play against pro's.

Not hating on the guy, can't wait to see him pitch. I'm sure he'll be great, but let's see how he develops.

That's the thing though. Nobody is pencilinng him into Detroit's rotation by calling him their #2 prospect. Rating prospects is mostly based on talent. I don't really look at production when rating them. With the older guys you can, like about the time they get to AA or so, because it usually takes a little bit for the production to catch up with the talent. Especially with offensive players. I have no problem rating a pitcher of his calibre #2. We'll see how it goes but he should be just fine.

At this point, he's very close to 'elite' level already. I'll be curious as to where the national rankings have him slotted this off-season. I've heard from more than one scout (and its been published in any number of places) that he's the best high school pitching prospect since Josh Beckett came out.....that's impressive.