back in the game in the 4th. He showed incredible heart gutting out first

downs and was able to lead the Lions offense down for the game winning FG

in OT.

Eagles:

Brian Westbrook

bwestdj0.jpg

In the brightest lights this side of the playoffs, Brian rushed 17 times for 96

yards, and also caught 8 balls for another 66 yards for an amazing total of

162 yards of offense. Almost half of the Eagles offense on monday night.

This game is a presentation of:

nflshieldqr0.jpg

Television Broadcast Provided by:

foxsportsbannertj2.jpg

DirecTV channel 706

foxcompah7.jpg

DirecTV HD channel 720

SopCast channel

Recap of Week 2:

DETROIT, Mich. -- Last week, the Lions showed they could overcome losing a significant lead on the road as they came back in the fourth quarter to beat Oakland 36-21.

This week, the Lions stepped up to a different type of adversity when they lost starting quarterback Jon Kitna to injury midway through the second quarter. Backup quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan took over, seeing his first significant NFL action, and kept Detroit in the game against a solid Minnesota defense.

Kitna ultimately returned midway through the fourth quarter and – with his arm and his legs – guided the Lions to a 20-17 overtime victory ended by a 37-yard Jason Hanson field goal.

“I just hate not being on the field for my team – I hate it,” said Kitna. “I’ve sat on the bench enough, that when you get your opportunity, you just want to be out there. You feel like you’re letting guys down. Of course (the coaches) need to be smart and they need to do their job.

“I didn’t want to press to get back in there, J.T. (O’Sullivan) was doing fine. I didn’t want to go back in and not do my job, but I felt like I could do my job and fortunately they let me get a shot to get back in there.”

During his time under center, O’Sullivan was able to put seven on the board with a 7-yard touchdown pass to rookie Calvin Johnson, giving Detroit a 17-7 lead with 10:11 left in the third quarter.

But the 10-point cushion was short-lived as the Vikings’ defense fought back to tie the game on a Ryan Longwell field goal and a defensive touchdown on a short fumble return.

With the game tied, the Lions’ offense marched down to the Minnesota 29-yard line, but an interception to end the drive had momentum sitting with the Vikings. All could have been lost for the Lions, but the Detroit defense – which turned out to be the story of the night – held strong.

“Team,” said defensive tackle and team captain Cory Redding. “Team man, believe it. Nobody blinked. We fought to the end. Everybody believed in one another and you could just feel the excitement on the sidelines. We’re always (going to) have some adversity.

“They are pros over there too. We are going to make mistakes, but it’s all about who’s going to fight through the mistakes, and fight until the end and that’s what we did. I’m so proud of our unit and our team. We just did it together as a team.”

Defensive Coordinator Joe Barry said he was mostly pleased with Detroit’s defensive effort last week at Oakland, with his primary area of concern being that the Lions were unable to maintain their high level of play for all 40 minutes.

Barry had to like what he saw against the Vikings on Sunday as they grabbed four interceptions and one fumble recovery while applying constant pressure to Minnesota quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. The Lions also held running back Adrian Peterson, who had 163 all-purpose yards last week, to 66 rushing yards, 52 receiving yards and – perhaps most importantly – no breakaway plays.

“First of all, I’ll say that he’s a great back,” said linebacker Ernie Sims, who finished with nine tackles (three solo). “I watched him in college, and I admire his running style. But it is all is attributed to staying in our gaps and doing our job. We were talking about him the whole week, how good of a running back he was, and we game-planned for him.

“The game-plan was for everybody to do their job. If you filled your gap, he won’t have any big explosive plays. That’s exactly what we did. We went out there and did our job.”

Today’s game may not have been the prettiest around the NFL – the two teams combined for a total of 10 turnovers (seven interceptions, three lost fumbles) – but these are the types of games Detroit more than likely would have lost in the past.

This is just another example of the type of team Head Coach Rod Marinelli is building in Detroit: a team that doesn’t crumble in the face of adversity, and he saw that mentality in each and every one of his players today.

“When I talk about toughness, I just sit one snap at a time and that’s the consistency,” said Marinelli. “That’s the toughness I’m talking about. You play that snap as hard as you can play it and you let it go; just keep playing.

“Jason Hanson did a great job of that; he missed a field goal, comes back, BAM, he drills it. He’s mentally strong, a mentally tough guy. That’s the type of team we want. They have ownership of that. That team is taking ownership of what they want to do as a football team. It’s them.”

Now 2-0, the Lions will watch film tomorrow to being preparation for their next match-up at Philadelphia. It will be yet another test for this team that continues to prove to itself that it has what it takes to overcome obstacles.

“This game was about toughness, toughness,” said Marinelli. “It’s what I’ve been talking about all this time: toughness. I can’t explain it to you if you don’t understand it. Character, I’ve been saying it from day one; and a bunch of men we’re going to play one snap at a time and it’s called team.

“It’s called a team, and that’s what I’m trying to do. That’s what these men are trying to do, that’s what these coaches are trying to do. There’s nothing else to say.”

Lions BLOG: Extras

Detroit saw solid contributions from a pair of rookies against the Vikings

Wide receiver Calvin Johnson scored his second touchdown in as many games, finishing with four catches for 61 yards.

With the exception of his touchdown catch, every single one of Johnson’s receptions went for 10-plus yards and he even ran a critical 7-yard reverse for a first down with under two minutes to go in the game.

Johnson on seeing QB Jon Kitna returning to the field: “It was huge to see that. He came down with a little concussion in the first half, and to be able to come back in there and make the big runs and throws that he did, that’s huge for us.”

Safety Gerald Alexander came away with his first-career interception (he had one in the preseason at Cleveland) in addition to five solo tackles and a tipped pass that led to Detroit’s first interception of the game by defensive tackle Shaun Cody.

Alexander on the leadership of DT Cory Redding: “It just gives you the energy when you see a guy going through such pain that he had. He’s very intent, he’s very into it. You have no choice but to feed off that intensity and that energy he’s bringing. It results in us succeeding today and getting that win.”

Stop the run. Lions actually have a shot to win this game too. I had this one marked as a loss when I made my 6 win prediction. If they win this game, I may have to revise my prediction and raise my expectations.

Now pass the kool-aid.

McNabb has NOT been playing well in his first two games this season. Missing some very easy passes, and not being mobile. Hopefully the Lions defense is still hungry, they are going to get a lot of Westbrook.

I can't believe how excited I am for this game. Neither Philly or Washington have looked very impressive yet this year. I agree syrett4, I will have to change my 5 win prediction is they can find a way to win this game.

Concentrate on Westbrook. Judging by the first two games, if the defense doesn't change something he could set records. Keep pressure on McNabb and make him beat you. His receivers are doodoo. Also, Sheppard is hurt and Dawkins left the game with a neck injury tonight. Exploit the hell out of them through the air. They can win this game. But I expect them to lose. That way, no diappointment!

I know more then a decade has passed and the Eagles are even playing in a new stadium. It's still Lions at Philly and I've got to face the fact that I'm still tormented by NFC Wild Card weekend 1995. Visions of Rodney Peete, Ricky Watters, and the absolute worst big game performance from a Lions QB still haunt me. Frankly, the only thing stopping me from hating the Eagles even more is Sterling Sharpe.

If the Lions play press coverage like the Packers and Redskins did they should be able to shut down the passing game, because being a Eagles fan, there offense is Westbrook plain and simple, stop Westbrook and it should translate into a win for the Lions.

I know more then a decade has passed and the Eagles are even playing in a new stadium. It's still Lions at Philly and I've got to face the fact that I'm still tormented by NFC Wild Card weekend 1995. Visions of Rodney Peete, Ricky Watters, and the absolute worst big game performance from a Lions QB still haunt me. Frankly, the only thing stopping me from hating the Eagles even more is Sterling Sharpe.

That was Scott Mitchell, right? Thanks for that.

The Lions defense is ranked #1 in the league in interceptions, and the Lions offense is ranked #1 in the league in passing yards.

I realize there are a couple no-to-good reasons for these, but they are just nice to hear.

If they keep getting the turnovers they have, the Lions' defense will be fine. They are more physical. They seem to want to be out there - at this point of the season.

I watched some of that MNF game last night. The Philly's offense really didn't look very good. Then throw on top of that it hasn't looked that great all year and I think suddenly this game looks a bit more winnable than it did 72 hours ago - and that has nothing to do with Sunday's results really for me. Actually if we play like we did on Sunday, the Lions will lose this one horribly. Philly will run the ball and we'll get a good test with the team there. If they can contain that part of Philly's offense, we'll be okay. However, that's a big if right now. That's not I'm 80% certain we're going to do that. It's probably more at 35% the Lions need to prove they can do it before I say they will. Last week was a mixed bag. Really I couldn't figure for the life of me why the Vikings didn't run the ball more. They were having a great game on the ground and so many times deserted that game for their weakness - the passing game.

The Lions are 2-0. That's great. They don't look like a 2-0 team right now though. Probably more like a 1-1 squad. They've gotten good leads - that's great. They've blown them in the second half each week. That's scary. They forced five turnovers last week. That's awesome. The offense turned the ball over five times. That's just 100 percent pathetic and really inexcuseable. Kitna came on the field after a concussion and led this team to a victory. He also threw a ball in the end zone for a pick for a second straight year and proved his issues with fumbles aren't over yet either. His poor play early on was a reason why the Lions didn't have a two-score lead late.

We have a lot of questions that need to be answered. We've had a few answered already with positives as well. The receivers have (for the most part) earned great passing grades. The DLine is finally a strength. We are forcing a ton of turnovers. That's simply awesome. However, there are questions. The turnovers from just about every position. The lack of a running game at all. Team's ability to run the ball on us hard. I think after this week well have a better understanding where this team really stands entering the midpoint of the season.

Maybe I've been watching the ol Tigers a little too much but I do not see this game going our way and I urge my fellow Lions fans to review our sordid past and realize that we cannot win on the road against any team that is considered above 'poor.' Philly is very, very strong (minus the lack of breakout WR's thus far) and should have no problem handling us...

sorry, but a little realism is needed in here...

The Eagles secondary is banged up right now and if the Eagles don't control the line of scrimage on the defensive it will pose a long day for the Eagles. I'm still not convinced that they are a good team. I see the Lions winning another tight game.

The fact that there is any debate about who will win this game is good news for the Lions. At the start of the season this was a guaranteed loss.

Since then, Philly has shown that McNabb is not sharp and that it has no receivers (other than Jason Avant!). Meanwhile, the Lions defense has played well against two other teams with struggling offenses.

The NFC is really, really, really weak. Through 2 games the best team may be the Cowgirls, but they can't defend the pass, the Bears, but they can't score, the Redskins, whose offensive line has been decimated with injuries and the Packers, who still have Brett Favre to throw 5 picks per game and no running backs.

Does 7-9 make the playoffs in the NFC this year?

Buddha,

That would probably be more likely for a division winner than a Wild Card. If someone goes 7-9 and makes the playoffs, that's how I'd figure it would occur. With five teams still at 2-0, that makes it a bit more unlikely that it would happen with a wild card team.

This game will be carried in HD, on channel 720. Also a sopcast channel should be announced on saturday.

Brian Westbrook is now listed as questionable due to a sprained knee. They are awaiting results from an MRI. Like we Lions fans needed more confidence heading into this game.

Top 10 in Power Rankings? The opposing QB has the pressure of the world on him? A good team struggling badly? Now the opponents starter at RB is banged up?

Oh Boy, this has all the makings of a Lions trap game.

If you have McNabb as your fantasy QB, I would highly recommend starting him this week.

yea, no... kitna will tear it up.