Tyrus

Curtis Granderson is the best young Tiger I've ever seen

I've been watching Tiger baseball since the early 1970s, so I've seen my share of great young Tigers come up from the minor leagues: Trammell, Whitaker, Parrish, Fryman.

But in my 42 years on this earth, I have never seen a young Tiger player who was as good as Curtis Granderson. This kid is simply amazing. He's already a great center fielder, and in only his second year, he is a wonderful all-around offensive player.

Can you think of a better young Tiger ballplayer to come along since Al Kaline? Because I sure as heck can't. Trammell is the only guy I can think of who has come up since I've been paying attention -- but even Tram wasn't this good this fast.

Curtis is truly amazing. And if I'm not mistaken, he wasn't one of those prospects who was touted by all the national scouts, was he?

Either way, Curtis is the best young Tiger I've ever seen. How about you?

Just as far as recent examples, Joel Zumaya had the second-greatest season for a reliever in team history last year. Verlander has also been great, and at times Bonderman has been utterly dominant and is just 24.

Not to downplay anything Grandy has done, but 26 isn't exactly young in baseball years. The mean statistical prime comes at 27... To me, young is below 25. Tram and Whitaker had been in the league for 6-7 years by the time they were 26.

That said, he's the type of player given his work ethic, attitude, and cold weather background who will improve for several years down the road.

I think Whitaker and Trammell were better because they started earlier. He looks to be in that class though.

So Granderson has no shot at a Hall of Fame career? :depress:

If he has 10 outstanding seasons, and plays 5 more good seasons after that, he could. He's got a long ways to go though.

He's certainly the most exciting position player I've seen come through the system.

26 isnt young in baseball years? r u serious? it is not young in football or basketball years, but it sure is in hockey and baseball years....hes got another 16 seasons to go...in basketball or football, he'd have about 10 or 11

26 isnt young in baseball years? r u serious? it is not young in football or basketball years, but it sure is in hockey and baseball years....hes got another 16 seasons to go...in basketball or football, he'd have about 10 or 11

26 is not especially young for a baseball player. 26 and 27 are the typical prime years for a baseball player. Some last until 40 but most start fizzling by their mid 30s. Hopefully, Granderson will have a longer career than most.

The age issue may be a bit deceiving in Curtis' case. He is a Northern kid who was a two-sport athlete so in terms of "baseball age" he is a bit younger than the typical 26-year-old. Where as guys from Southern/Western states have been playing baseball year-round since the day they were born, their peak development might occur at a younger age. Guys from Northern states play less growing up, thus often times are "late bloomers". It's quite possible that Curtis will keep improving for some time.

I wasn't really taking age into consideration. Age being a factor, I agree Trammell probably gets the nod in my lifetime.

What I'm saying is that Curtis is the best all-around player to come from our system since I've been watching. I don't even think Trammell was this good, all around, when he was 26.

And I wasn't taking pitchers into account -- but if you did, then you could argue that we're currently enjoying two more "all-time Tiger bests": Best young starter (Verlander); and best young reliever (Zumaya).

Was Jack Morris as good as Verlander at such a young age? I don't think so. Was anyone else?

trammell and whitaker were better at a younger age. Which isn't to say granderson isn't having a great season, but those two started playing in the major leagues at an age when Granderson was still at UIC.

And Kaline has them all beat.

He's up there, but I don't know about the best. As said before, he is a bit old to be considered "young." Higgy, and Fryman both came up and looked great early in their careers. Another one you can add in is Matt Nokes back in the late 80's.

As for pitchers, JV and JZ have got to be two of the best in the last 30+ years.

I wasn't really taking age into consideration. Age being a factor, I agree Trammell probably gets the nod in my lifetime.

What I'm saying is that Curtis is the best all-around player to come from our system since I've been watching. I don't even think Trammell was this good, all around, when he was 26.

And I wasn't taking pitchers into account -- but if you did, then you could argue that we're currently enjoying two more "all-time Tiger bests": Best young starter (Verlander); and best young reliever (Zumaya).

Was Jack Morris as good as Verlander at such a young age? I don't think so. Was anyone else?

Kevin saucier says hi.

relievers are notoriously volatile. Let's wait on Zumaya until he has a couple more years under his belt, but i agree on Verlander. he's the best young starter since Morris.

Speaking of "best young players" we probably had the best young player in the history of baseball: Ty Cobb. He set the world on fire at the age of 20, his second full year. And then he got better. And after that he got even better. By the time he was 25, many baseball minds considered him the best to ever play the game.

Trammell was World Series MVP at that age.

Kevin saucier says hi.

Kevin didn't come from the Tigers' system. We got him from the Rangers system in a trade for Mr. Mark Wagner (keystone partner of Mr. Steve Dillard).

Trammell was World Series MVP at that age.

Ah, but that doesn't necessarily make him a better player. Why, just look at last year's World Series MVP!!!! :grin:

Believe me, I'm not dogging Trammell. But when it comes to the five tools, Curtis has it by a fraction of an inch over Tram, I think.

The fact that Curtis is even in the conversation is cool.

Ah, but that doesn't necessarily make him a better player. Why, just look at last year's World Series MVP!!!! :grin:

Believe me, I'm not dogging Trammell. But when it comes to the five tools, Curtis has it by a fraction of an inch over Tram, I think.

The fact that Curtis is even in the conversation is cool.

By the time they were 26 both Trammell and Whitaker had been playing in the majors for 5+ seasons and were just as good if not better than Granderson is now.