ironside

Sure seems like Cleveland's year

lol a lot? Try all. Cleveland has sold out 2 games this season, and both have been against the Tigers because our fans fill their stadium.

You are mistaken, pathetic as it may sound, they have sold out 5 games, 2 vs. Detorit, and the three game series with the Yankees in early august. The Yankee's series was basically sold out a month in at vance. Getting into September, the stadium may get closer to being sold out. But I think selling out a stadium or not selling it out is a lame excuse for not winning the division. A team can win with or without fans. I can almost assure you that the Detroit series in Sept. will get close to sold out. Weekend games will also get close. There is only one home group of series in Sept. so you can bet that people will want to be a part of it. and it's good that tigers the are selling out, but I still don't see what the amount of fans in a stadium is going to do to the score, or end results of the season, except that there is a little less money.

You are mistaken, pathetic as it may sound, they have sold out 5 games, 2 vs. Detorit, and the three game series with the Yankees in early august. The Yankee's series was basically sold out a month in at vance. Getting into September, the stadium may get closer to being sold out. But I think selling out a stadium or not selling it out is a lame excuse for not winning the division. A team can win with or without fans. I can almost assure you that the Detroit series in Sept. will get close to sold out. Weekend games will also get close. There is only one home group of series in Sept. so you can bet that people will want to be a part of it. and it's good that tigers the are selling out, but I still don't see what the amount of fans in a stadium is going to do to the score, or end results of the season, except that there is a little less money.

I think he meant that's the reason he doesn't want the Indians to win, not that they won't win.

I've never been impressed by the "faithful, suffering Red Sox fan" image anyway. I've been dealing with them for more years than I care to admit, and their 'poor us' mentality got old a long time ago. I can think of a number of years that I would have traded my team's seasons for theirs-no questions asked. If they can still sell out after having 10-12 losing seasons in a row, then I'll be impressed.

Is anybody else thinking of 1987?

I remember 1987 well, I was at all 4 games in Toronto the next to last weekend and the Friday night 5-double play game in Detroit the following weekend. But to paraphrase a line from the following summer: "2007 Tigers ... I cheered for the 1987 Tigers, I knew the 1987 Tigers, the 1987 Tigers were like a friend to me ... you, 2007 Tigers, are not the 1987 Tigers".

But I'd be more than happy to eat raw crow October 1.

Ok, I wasn't alive in 1987, so I can't exactly sure...

But the 1987 Tigers were 1.0 games ahead in first place on September 1st, while 2007 Tigers are 5.5 back. How are they similar?

Ok, I wasn't alive in 1987, so I can't exactly sure...

But the 1987 Tigers were 1.0 games ahead in first place on September 1st, while 2007 Tigers are 5.5 back. How are they similar?

That whole season was up and down...lots of injuries, lots of changes in the division leader. in September the Blue Jays started out strong and appeared ready to win the division. Then they went on a slide the last couple of weeks of the season while Detroit made a comeback. They ended up with a one game playoff game.

A lot of people wrote off the Tigers, as is true this year.

But, lordstanley is right, this team doesn't have the same feel. There is enough in this team to give me hope though.

And, of course, the postseason that year was a nightmare.:cry:

That whole season was up and down...lots of injuries, lots of changes in the division leader. in September the Blue Jays started out strong and appeared ready to win the division. Then they went on a slide the last couple of weeks of the season while Detroit made a comeback. They ended up with a one game playoff game.

If you are going to reference 1987, at least know the facts. There was no one game playoff.

The Tigers trailed the Blue Jays by 3.5 games with 8 games left. The Blue Jays lost their last 7 games of the year, including a 3 game sweep at Tiger Stadium on the last weekend, and Detroit won the division by 2 games.

That's right of course. Though to this day I still felt as though that series represented the best of the league, and it was treated like a playoff game.

My bad.

Congratulations to the 2007 AL Central division champion Cleveland Indians. I am now turning my focus to Tyrus' 1907 AL pennant race (I like our chances) and to this year's wildcard race (I don't like our chances, as much due to the Yankees' cupcake schedule here on in as to our team weaknesses and 3 game deficit).

Well good, maybe I'll be subjected to one less set of negative posts around here for the rest of the regular season.

Cleveland finds every way to win a game and we find every way to lose them! I don't want to complain too much though after all those crappy years atleast we have a good team now!

Quit being a troll.

Seriously. I wish every Tribe fan that came over here was as objective and not-annoying as that one guy that sometimes posts here.

Seriously. I wish every Tribe fan that came over here was as objective and not-annoying as that one guy that sometimes posts here.

Drum? He's cool, he just roots for the wrong team. :cheeky:

If you are going to reference 1987, at least know the facts. There was no one game playoff.

The Tigers trailed the Blue Jays by 3.5 games with 8 games left. The Blue Jays lost their last 7 games of the year, including a 3 game sweep at Tiger Stadium on the last weekend, and Detroit won the division by 2 games.

I'm too damn lazy here after 2am to go to a baseball history site to back up what I seem to have in memory, and if it serves me well enough, I believe you are correct about the end of the 1987 season on all counts but one: the deciding series with the Jays at the very end was played in Toronto, not Detroit.

That last game was memorable. Frank Tanana won a 1-0 decision on a solo homer by Larry Herndon. It was one of only a handful Larry had all season.

===============================================================================

Actually, my curiosity got the better of me before I head to bed. I did look it up on a baseball almanac site, and turns out you are correct that the season-ending series with the Jays was in Detroit. Memory is abou 90% what it should be on Tiger history in my lifetime. My apologies, TOTF.

Well they've been inexplicably winning all year so for some reason it's sunny in Ohio.

Well, the Tigers inexplicable won a lot last year.

Maybe it just ain't our year? Or maybe the best is yet to come? There's still 4 weeks left in the yet to be determined regular season. We should all sit back, relax, and soak it in. A playoff race for the Tigers in September. How many times have we been able to say that in the past 2 decades?

Well, the Tigers inexplicable won a lot last year.

Maybe it just ain't our year? Or maybe the best is yet to come? There's still 4 weeks left in the yet to be determined regular season. We should all sit back, relax, and soak it in. A playoff race for the Tigers in September. How many times have we been able to say that in the past 2 decades?

No last year we lead the league in pitching. That explains a lot. Cleveland leads the lead in NOTHING (except luck). They're a slightly above mediocre team with no shot at the series. We at least have dormant talent that could awake and make us better. Cleveland is over-extending it's talent. Their fall from grace will happen soon enough.

No last year we lead the league in pitching. That explains a lot. Cleveland leads the lead in NOTHING (except luck). They're a slightly above mediocre team with no shot at the series. We at least have dormant talent that could awake and make us better. Cleveland is over-extending it's talent. Their fall from grace will happen soon enough.

That sounds great--hope you're right.

I'm just glad Michigan football starts today. Too bad I won't be able to see it.

I bet you're not glad anymore. I finally found something that was harder to watch than the recent swoon by the Tigers.

watching this team blow a 7 run lead after the Yanks and Indians lost is areal kick in the gut. now we'll find out what this team is made of but if you ask me stick a fork in them their done

Either that, or this division was overhyped to the max.

It's no wonder that Minnesota continues winning this division more often than not. It's just medicore.

Unless another pitcher steps up or their offense becomes unstoppable, they will have a very short postseason run.