I have never driven "drunk". The one thing I dont get is after I blew a .11, they still made me walk a straight line, touch my nose, and count down from 40. If they were going to arrest me, then why put me through those tests?

I have never driven "drunk". The one thing I dont get is after I blew a .11, they still made me walk a straight line, touch my nose, and count down from 40. If they were going to arrest me, then why put me through those tests?

They might be required to by law.

I was at a club with a group of people in the 80s that had a breathalyzer...one of my friends decided it would be fun to check his level after every drink.

Would you believe it went DOWN after every drink? I'm wondering if it was a way to get people to buy more drinks.

(for the record, we all lived walking distance from the club)

Because if something was wrong with the breathalyzer they still wanted to be able to convict you.

Cell phones and driving should be illegal as well.

Is there no law about driving without due care and attention or something similar?

That's been used here to convict people eating sandwichs and so on I know. It was being used to get texters and mobile users as well - but not very effectively so they have legislated a fixed penalty the same as speeding for using a mobile etc...

Ian

Is there no law about driving without due care and attention or something similar?

Reckless driving.

I think it covers everything (plus speeding when going more than 20 MPH over) that is considered outside of the law, it just depends on the officer that pulls you over.

Mottsi, while I have mentioned that this is a business and I do believe local gov't would prefer to keep DD exactly as it is rather than to eradicate it because of the money it brings in, the true reason for the drop from .1 to .08 has to do with the fact that the gov't doesn't have the resources to charge and prosecute people based on how they can handle alcohol. There are people that are safer on the road with a .15 than another person at a .08. People have abused the privilage of driving with alchohol, as a result, when you abuse something, rules get put in place that assures the ability to go after everyone that is drunk and driving, unfortunately some people that are fine in the .08-.10 area will "suffer".

That's odd they had you do those tests afterwards, generally those tests are performed to buy time for an accurate breath test. Sounds like you might have something for the attorney with this, but if it is accurate and you were a .11, then I'm sorry to tell you that I doubt you've never driven drunk, but probably like to call it buzzed instead.

I might be mistaken, but haven't you been complaining that the current legal limit on blood alcohol of .08 is too low, and that the old limit of .1 was better? Because if so, you broke the old legal limit too, and as such can't really complain about getting 'suck' with a limit that used to be legal but now isn't.