I'm totally against that law unless they also plan on banning eating in the car, putting on makeup in the car, reading a newspaper in the car, having young kids in the car, etc. etc. etc.

A couple years ago I was with a buddy over at one of his friend's house. We were out back doing some yardwork and his friend was discussing/bragging how he had the, "Perfect way to drive home drunk and not get caught. I just go 7 over the speed limit, that way I'll seem normal. If I stick right to it, a cop will think something is up, because nobody ever does that, and if I speed much faster than that I'll get caught because I'm going too fast. If I keep it at 7 over, though, I can drive home drunk with no worries!"

Had he not been a good foot taller than me, or 75 pounds bigger, I would have punched him right then and there.

A couple years ago I was with a buddy over at one of his friend's house. We were out back doing some yardwork and his friend was discussing/bragging how he had the, "Perfect way to drive home drunk and not get caught. I just go 7 over the speed limit, that way I'll seem normal. If I stick right to it, a cop will think something is up, because nobody ever does that, and if I speed much faster than that I'll get caught because I'm going too fast. If I keep it at 7 over, though, I can drive home drunk with no worries!"

Had he not been a good foot taller than me, or 75 pounds bigger, I would have punched him right then and there.

If he put that much thinking/strategy into a) finding a ride home or b) having fun without getting too drunk to drive, that would be impressive.

Hopefully one day he gets that punch from someone.

1. Are you guilty? If no, get an attorney. If yes, pay your debt & learn your lesson.

or you have the "designated driver" stagger out of the bar, drop his keys, put the wrong signal on, etc. while all the drunks act normal. Then the cop pulls over the designated driver" while the other guys get home free.

So he was a normal sized dude?

Heh... Yeah, pretty much. Maybe a little bit bigger than what would be considered average size.

BUT a .11 is only .1 above the old legal limit, and I was alert...SO i am not just saying that i was in no way endangering others,

So why'd ya get pulled over?

because of the money and the fact that nothing else happens in Farmington hills. Trust me, I understand that there should be NO excuse for drunk drivers, but I am a firm believer that it is mostly about the money.

because of the money and the fact that nothing else happens in Farmington hills. Trust me, I understand that there should be NO excuse for drunk drivers, but I am a firm believer that it is mostly about the money.

So did you have dollar bills taped to your aerial and the cop thought he could have them if he pulled you over?

Im sure they get a little somethin somethin for giving someone a DUI

Yes, and I am sure that "somethin somethin" is the satisfaction in knowing that your stupid *** isn't out there about to smash head on to someone else.

Yeah. Cops pull people over because they get kickbacks from writing DUIs. Are you kidding me? /sarcasm

You say youve learned your lesson, but youre basically stating the fines and inconvenience is your main deterrent. Which is the wrong way to think about it.

There is a reason why .08 is the legal limit. Its that you are impaired enough to lose coordination and reaction. Just because you can drive a car under those conditions doesnt mean its a good idea.

No one should ever have to go through the loss of a family mamber to a drunk driver, EVER.

This thread is king of pissing me off, I dont think im coming back to it.

so were getting personal now?

Perhaps but I won't apologize. The nonchalant manner in which you are approaching this very serious manner and the fact that you're blaming the cops instead of yourself raises my ire.

I have no compassion for you. I have no sympathy for you. You're a drunk driver and because of that you're the scourge of the earth.

So yes, I guess it is personal. Maybe that will stop you from killing someone.

perhaps if you knew me in real life, you would speak different of me. Continue to put words in my mouth, like I am blaming the cops...And you can say im acting nonchalant, go ahead and base my whole attitude on what happened by like 4 posts I made over the internet. Im done arguing! I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this and what the punishment was, I never wanted to get into this. !!

I have no compassion for you. I have no sympathy for you. You're a drunk driver and because of that you're the scourge of the earth.

A little harsh. It was stupid of him, but no one got hurt and hopefully he learns from his mistake. I do agree with some of his points though, it is a money maker for the state and court system. Drinking and driving is horrible and I feel badly for anyone that has had to lose someone to it. I've been lucky enough not to have that happen, but I do know two people that were driving drunk and were involved in accidents where someone died and it's weird even seeing how they and their families are affected. Anyway there are many things that are stupid that don't define a person.

As for DD vs other causes for accidents, i'd be real interested to see statistics for injuries and deaths caused by DD compared to the same for things such as changing the radio, sitting on the phone, texting, etc.

Yeah. Cops pull people over because they get kickbacks from writing DUIs. Are you kidding me? /sarcasm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20327386/

REDFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. - Redford Police's recent policy change pays officers time-and-a-half their hourly wages, according the number of tickets written, and not the actual hours worked. For every two traffic tickets an officer writes, they will get paid for one hour of overtime, even if writing the tickets took less than an hour, according to Redford police.

On average, a Redford Police officer makes $41 an hour for overtime.

I don't think it's that farfetched. This policy was recently cancelled due to a planned public demonstration. People were calling into radio stations and giving examples of where they'd get a ticket from a redford cop and the cop would manipulate the charge so as to increase the fine and avoid points. A little bit of "scratch my back I'll scratch yours".

Let me preface my response by saying, I do not drink and drive anymore and I am the first one to offer to be the designated driver. I live in a small city that has two bars that I walk to and from to alleviate the chance of harming someone if I have over consumed.

But here are my thoughts on the whole DUI.

The law use to be .01. Why did it change? Did the evolution of man suddenly change to the point that .008 blood alcohol level makes you drunk. How did we weaken so much. The blood alcohol level is a joke. There should be more emphasis on the sobriety test. The reason that its not is for the fact it would be hard to prove in court.

My story:

I have been pulled over once for drinking and driving (not arrested). It was at about 11:00 pm on a Saturday. The cop asked me how much I had to drink and I told him in the course of the day I probably had 10 or 11 beers (started drinking at 12:00 and ate two meals). I blew somewhere around .03 (three times the legal limit at the time) in the field. My truck was impounded and I was taken downtown for some more testing. No field sobriety test was given out in the field. I told the officer there was no way that I was .03 and I doubted that I was even close to half the legal limit. While I was downtown an hour later I retested. I blew a .004 after I did the sobriety test (which the cop was amazed that someone who blew a .03 could do so well). Why the police officer was taking me home, seeing how my truck was impounded for the weekend ($150 that I would not get back) I asked why the discrepancies in the two tests. He then at that time asked me if I had a drink within 30 minutes of taking the test. I told him I finished my beer right before he tested me (at the house not in my truck). He let me know that I should have informed him of this information. I told him he should have asked, how would I know about this. He said he didn't think I would be honest with him. I asked how many people ever admitted to drinking 10 or 11 beers when you asked them? Needless to say for me not driving drunk cost me my time without my truck that I was spending $150 for impound fees on the weekend (that means I also was not allowed to go anywhere on Sunday and had to miss work in the morning on Monday while I was getting my Tahoe out of the impound, which in turn raised questions with my employers). The whole thing was a joke. Give me the sobriety test in the field and see if I need to be tested further. It would saved me time and money and the cop a lot of paperwork.

Secondly, who profits by the DUI sanctions? 1. State 2. Police Departments 3. Lawyers 4. Insurance companies (love to raise your rates)

Do you think the lawyers were happy to see the blood alcohol level lowered to .008? I bet they were. Sure we would love to have some more work. My apologies to the lawyers on the board who don't deal with DUIs, I don't mean you. Police departments get better equipment and higher pay (more they are needed the more they will get paid). State receives money from the Federal government for imposing and enforcing stricter laws and from the fines they impose on these infractions.

Sorry that this is so long. I really feel for people who have and will be killed by drunk drivers, believe me I really do. I have lost a couple of friends and it sucks. Repeat offenders are not the same as first time offenders and they should be handled with the stricter penalties, not some guy/gal who screwed up one time and drove home a little tipsy according to the almighty blood alcohol meter. The system isn't perfect and it should be changed.

Once again, I am against DRUNK driving.

I don't think it's that farfetched. This policy was recently cancelled due to a planned public demonstration. People were calling into radio stations and giving examples of where they'd get a ticket from a redford cop and the cop would manipulate the charge so as to increase the fine and avoid points. A little bit of "scratch my back I'll scratch yours".

Oblong, I think that type of thing will become defunct quickly. Cameras are the new fad. It seems that every week more cameras are added around here. I would imagine it will not be long until this fad moves to other places as well. Now, it can't catch drunk drivers, but they can do A LOT of other things (and no points since it is almost impossible to ID the driver).

Let me preface my response by saying, I do not drink and drive anymore and I am the first one to offer to be the designated driver. I live in a small city that has two bars that I walk to and from to alleviate the chance of harming someone if I have over consumed.

But here are my thoughts on the whole DUI.

The law use to be .01. Why did it change? Did the evolution of man suddenly change to the point that .008 blood alcohol level makes you drunk. How did we weaken so much. The blood alcohol level is a joke. There should be more emphasis on the sobriety test. The reason that its not is for the fact it would be hard to prove in court.

My story:

I have been pulled over once for drinking and driving (not arrested). It was at about 11:00 pm on a Saturday. The cop asked me how much I had to drink and I told him in the course of the day I probably had 10 or 11 beers (started drinking at 12:00 and ate two meals). I blew somewhere around .03 (three times the legal limit at the time) in the field. My truck was impounded and I was taken downtown for some more testing. No field sobriety test was given out in the field. I told the officer there was no way that I was .03 and I doubted that I was even close to half the legal limit. While I was downtown an hour later I retested. I blew a .004 after I did the sobriety test (which the cop was amazed that someone who blew a .03 could do so well). Why the police officer was taking me home, seeing how my truck was impounded for the weekend ($150 that I would not get back) I asked why the discrepancies in the two tests. He then at that time asked me if I had a drink within 30 minutes of taking the test. I told him I finished my beer right before he tested me (at the house not in my truck). He let me know that I should have informed him of this information. I told him he should have asked, how would I know about this. He said he didn't think I would be honest with him. I asked how many people ever admitted to drinking 10 or 11 beers when you asked them? Needless to say for me not driving drunk cost me my time without my truck that I was spending $150 for impound fees on the weekend (that means I also was not allowed to go anywhere on Sunday and had to miss work in the morning on Monday while I was getting my Tahoe out of the impound, which in turn raised questions with my employers). The whole thing was a joke. Give me the sobriety test in the field and see if I need to be tested further. It would saved me time and money and the cop a lot of paperwork.

Secondly, who profits by the DUI sanctions? 1. State 2. Police Departments 3. Lawyers 4. Insurance companies (love to raise your rates)

Do you think the lawyers were happy to see the blood alcohol level lowered to .008? I bet they were. Sure we would love to have some more work. My apologies to the lawyers on the board who don't deal with DUIs, I don't mean you. Police departments get better equipment and higher pay (more they are needed the more they will get paid). State receives money from the Federal government for imposing and enforcing stricter laws and from the fines they impose on these infractions.

Sorry that this is so long. I really feel for people who have and will be killed by drunk drivers, believe me I really do. I have lost a couple of friends and it sucks. Repeat offenders are not the same as first time offenders and they should be handled with the stricter penalties, not some guy/gal who screwed up one time and drove home a little tipsy according to the almighty blood alcohol meter. The system isn't perfect and it should be changed.

Once again, I am against DRUNK driving.

THis is the result of basing public policy on emotion and feelings instead of logic and fact. The latter do not play well in trying to win elections, which is the ultimate goal of public officials.

Drinking and then driving is not the same thing as drunk driving.

My cousin is a lawyer, So I am def going to bring him, and it happened in Farmington Hills (Oakland County). I don't understand why there cant just be a set punishment for these kinds of things, instead its up to the judge...And yes, I know it was stupid, but I was no where near endangering others....

Don't tell the judge that.

I agree most drunk drivers aroun 0.10 are not any more dangerous than a driver on a cellphone as the Mythbusters show has shown. But it is illegal to drink and drive so they get singled out. Cell phones and driving should be illegal as well. When you drink and drive you are risking that you will be caught and punished.

The average drunk drives 2000 miles under the influence before they are caught. So I am wondering how many miles you have driven drunk before you were caught?