To all you who've gotten/got DUI's, I really hope you stop before you harm others.

Wait till you get to College... you'll know like 12 people who'll get them.

To all you who've gotten/got DUI's, I really hope you stop before you harm others.

I'm not convinced a DUI means you are a danger to others.

The drunk driver that killed my fiance in 1993 had been arrested for DUI 4 times, and still had a license.

I have no sympathy for the lamentations of drunk drivers.

Wait till you get to College... you'll know like 12 people who'll get them.

I went to college and had a great time...I know like 0 people who had one. I guess it is all about choices.

The drunk driver that killed my fiance in 1993 had been arrested for DUI 4 times, and still had a license.

I have no sympathy for the lamentations of drunk drivers.

Enough said right here...

I guess it's not just all about the money...

First off, not to pile on, Twisted, but that was pretty stupid. I recommend getting a lawyer, immediatly. It will cost you about $2500-$7500 in fines and fees. This is what my bro paid for a DWI about 6 years ago. There is a judge here in Macomb County who will put you in jail and give you the harshest sentence allowed your first time and every time thereafter, of course his daughter was killed by a drunk driver. I'm one of those people who say ALWAYS take a lawyer to court, unless you plan on pleading guilty and paying the max fine.

Furthermore, I agree completely with the sentiments on MADD. They do have some great ideas, but I too think they have crossed the line in some areas.

Lastly, when you go to the court and the door says "Business Hours..." you know you're screwed.

Sorry about your loss, Shinma, I agree completely.

My cousin is a lawyer, So I am def going to bring him, and it happened in Farmington Hills (Oakland County). I don't understand why there cant just be a set punishment for these kinds of things, instead its up to the judge...And yes, I know it was stupid, but I was no where near endangering others....

I found this but I'm not sure I'd test the accuracy. Based on what I typically get on my Monday night excursions, I'd blow a .057. I think this may be a little low. It's hard to judge the alcohol vs. just being tired. If it's midnight and I've been up since 6.....

This does seem a little low. When I'm at a bar and not driving I'll down a pitcher myself in about an hour and a half. Stretched out to two hours I'd only blow an .074 and there's no way I'd set foot in a car for quite a while feeling the way I do.

And yes, I know it was stupid, but I was no where near endangering others....

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that a good deal of people who have hurt others felt this same way.

I have a friend out here in AZ who blew a .16 which is called a severe DUI. Anyway, after 10 days in tent city, getting his car out of the impound, lawyer fees, court costs, paying for a year to rent a breathelizer (sp?) hooked up to his ignition... you forget about the jacked up insurance rates. These alone will cost you mucho dinero in the long run.

He was only a block away from his apartment where the cop sat outside the bar he was at. It's all about decisions. He knew it would only cost him an extra 15 min. that night and the next morning and he still screwed his life for the next 2 years.

I don't understand why there cant just be a set punishment for these kinds of things, instead its up to the judge...

There are guidelines within which a judge has discretion to punish. You cannot just set a rigid punishment and apply it across the board as one size fits all to all circumstances. It just wouldn't work. A judge needs to have options to fit each scenario.

There really is no need to drink more than 2 or so beers while you're out, unless you're just trying to get a buzz. If you have to drink more then get someone else to drive you. If you don't have someone else to drive you, then stop after two. I like beer as much as everyone else but having a beer isn't that important.

Much more dangerous now is talking on the cell phone and texting while driving because of the prevalance in which they are done.

Remember that story earlier this summer about the 5 girls who died in upstate NY right after graduating? The driver was texting. Guess now that anybody who gets caught texting should have their lives turned upside down. It's only fair.

Not to hijack the thread, but there is a bill in the General Assembly on "Texting"

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews/2007/08/lawmakers_take_aim_at_texting.html

In Michigan, House Bill No. 4982 - introduced in June - would ban people from using cell phones "to initiate a call, answer a call, listen to or engage in verbal communication through the drive, or type, send or receive a text message or an instant message." No action has been taken on the proposed law.

In the state of Washington, lawmakers have taken specific aim at texting while driving. A new law that takes effect Jan. 8 makes it illegal to text message while driving, but drivers are still permitted to enter a phone number or name to make a call. Text messaging while driving in Washington will be a "secondary" violation, meaning it can only be enforced if a motorist violated another law, such as speeding.

Those who advocate for cell phone laws cite the growing number of "driver distractions" they have created. According to AAA, "driver distraction" is blamed for 25 to 50 percent of all crashes, and motor vehicle crashes are the No. 1 killer of teenagers.

I can't believe the number of people I see now who are texting and driving. I drove our van through a busy area during rush hour and I saw 6 people in one hour's bumper to bumper traffic. One hand on the wheel, the other on the phone typing away. NOTHING is that important. I don't care who you are or what you do. There's no excuse to texting while driving. I can see the need for mild cell phone use like "I"m on my way home, do you need me to pick up somethign for dinner" or "I'm not coming home, I'm going to stop at my mistress's house first for a quickie". But even those should be kept to under 20 seconds.

Remember that story earlier this summer about the 5 girls who died in upstate NY right after graduating? The driver was texting. Guess now that anybody who gets caught texting should have their lives turned upside down. It's only fair.

I've been rearended THREE times in my driving life.

1. A chick was texting and hit me at a red light.

2. A chick was putting eyeliner on, and not watching the road.

3. A dude was READING A FRICKING BOOK, and hit me at a red light.

Moral of the story?

Don't stop at Red lights.

When I have folks over to the house, and their is "sinning" going on, I have four simple rules:

1. You either stay here till the morning.

2. You have a safe ride at the party (Which I usually have a friend or two that aren't partaking

3. You have cab money, and I get your your keys .. don't like it, don't stay.

NOW, the reason for this.

I came very close to killing myself on the back roads of a wooded area in North Port, Florida, trying to miss a wild hog ... the thing is, there was no Hog. I was over driving because of the booziness. Pavement to loose rock isn't as fun a trick as you'd think. Flipped the car 4 times, no seat belt, foot petal through my foot.

Don't drink and drive, kids.

And yes, I know it was stupid, but I was no where near endangering others....

TT, I'm a pretty firm believer in the phrase "to each his own," and I really wish you the best through all this, but I think you should take a second to re-consider your mindset through all of this. Now, I understand that none of us were there and you may have reason for saying that you weren't putting others in danger, but thinking like this is going to make it easier for it to happen again. As lesgoblue pointed out, I'm sure there are many who have thought the exact same thing.

So I ask you not to focus on what or who wasn't around you when you were driving under the influence, but rather what led you to believe that it was OK to do so. In doing that, you will be able to figure out what situations you should avoid being in, so that you don't make this decision in the future.

Many have shared their stories about their experiences with a DUI, and if nothing else, hopefully we've all come to understand that when you get behind the wheel while drunk, you really have no clue what is going to happen. I have a story of my own...

My very first time driving on my own when I was 16, I got about a mile down the street from my grandparents' house (I was using their car) and was hit by a car coming out of a side street. Long story short, when the police showed up they gave him a breathalyzer, which he failed (he was only 19, too), and then admitted that his license was already suspended because he was on probation. Now, even though I knew that the accident wasn't my fault, I was still 1 for 1 driving alone and getting in an accident, and wouldn't drive by myself again for 4 months. This story pales in comparison to some of the very unfortunate incidents that have been shared, but nevertheless, it is another case of a drunk driver impacting more than just his own life.

To everyone who's shared a story here, especially Shin, I'm terribly sorry for what you've had to go through.

TT, once again I wish you the best through all of this, and I hope you don't get screwed by the system, but I do hope that whatever your punishment is, it's enough to make you never put yourself in that situation again.

There really is no need to drink more than 2 or so beers while you're out, unless you're just trying to get a buzz. If you have to drink more then get someone else to drive you. If you don't have someone else to drive you, then stop after two. I like beer as much as everyone else but having a beer isn't that important.

This is the most sensible advice. There is no excuse for drinking excessively and then driving. Biff was appropriately blunt.

I Will not drink and drive again, I have learned my lesson, BUT a .11 is only .1 above the old legal limit, and I was alert...SO i am not just saying that i was in no way endangering others, I know...Thats what sucks about this whole thing...But I have learned my lesson. I look at this as being a good thing, because I was drinking about 4 days a week and getting myself into a little trouble, so all of this money I will pay I cant say crushes me, I have my freedom and health, and 5000 dollars is not a lot in a span of a lifetime...but enough for me to of learned my lesson. I realize I will have a record, and I don't believe my future career will look at a DUI and assume I am a bad person, because it happens to so many responsible people...

Moral of the story?

I've never thought of it like that.

TT, I'm glad you seemed to have thought this through. It sounds like you have excepted that you made a mistake and have learned from it. That is all we as people can do. Furthermore, hopefully someone will remember this thread if they ever go out drinking and think they are OK to drive home. Hopefully, this thread will also help others, as well.

I can't believe the number of people I see now who are texting and driving. I drove our van through a busy area during rush hour and I saw 6 people in one hour's bumper to bumper traffic. One hand on the wheel, the other on the phone typing away. NOTHING is that important. I don't care who you are or what you do. There's no excuse to texting while driving. I can see the need for mild cell phone use like "I"m on my way home, do you need me to pick up somethign for dinner" or "I'm not coming home, I'm going to stop at my mistress's house first for a quickie". But even those should be kept to under 20 seconds.

The call or the quickie?

I have never had the instinct to drink and then go out driving. I really don't drink. Pretty much all my drinking happened in about a one-year window. When I did drink, I made sure I wasn't going anywhere for two hours after my last drink. And even then I didn't drink a bunch.

Drinking and driving is a decision. It's a decision of ours to drink and then another decision to drive. And while most people think they aren't drunk at .10 (now .08), that's what the law is. Just don't do it. I know what .1 feels like. I'm not a huge person (6-feet and about 175) and I know after two drinks in a half hour I didn't feel any different. Yet do we really know? If something used to take .15 to do, maybe now I'm down to .19. You aren't really going to notice that and you are going to think you are fine. Why bother putting up the risk? If I ever hit someone and had a drink within that hour, I'd be thinking about it without a doubt wondering if that drink made a difference. To me it's not even worth it.

I truly have no sympathy for drunk drivers. You don't want me on a jury if you do something in a drunken state. I'm not going to have any sympathy. Before you drink there is a moment you were sober and chose to put yourself in that state. For doing that, you "deserve" and baggage that comes from doing that.

Back to the subject on other things. I would support a law that said drivers were not allowed to deal with any other artificial outside forces while driving. If that means eating, talking on a cell phone or even changing the radio station. In the last two weeks I've sat at subdivision intersections waiting to take a left because the lady that was supposed to be taking a left into the sub just sat in that center lane once talking on a phone and the other apparently texting. I could've honked the horn and got them going, but I was curious to see how long it would take them to realize I was there waiting - especially the second time since it had happened about 10 days prior. The second time it took about 45 seconds. I see more "stupid" moves at intersections now than ever before. Everytime I see one I look and almost always it's a cell phone person. They are probably more dangerous than someone registering at .09 on a breathalyzer. I'm guessing it's more like someone blowing .18. Consequently I don't do any of those things either. I don't change radio stations unless I'm stopped at a red light or flat out stopped.

Moral of the story?

I will admit to checking email while driving (though I only type if I am the only one on the road or stopped at a red light).

Living in a large metro are I see A LOT more cars/drivers per day than I did while living in MI or IA. Also, a lot more people are in cars (vs SUVs or trucks) than in MI or IA as well. As such, I hav been able to see what a lot of drivers are doing while "driving". I have seen people reading books, doing sodoku/crosswords, eating stuff out of bowls/cans, and a couple times certain affectionate behavoir (I have an SUV, so I sit up higher than those in cars).

Also, I will admit to being a hypocrite when it comes to cellphones. When I talk on my phone, I don't think much of it (but I don't do it much), but when others do it I start cursing them out.

I have never drank and driven, but I know several people who have. It almost seems to be a right of passage for men in their late teens/early twenties.