Anyways, to make a long story short, I got a dui last night. People are telling me I will be paying 10,000 dollars, others say 2,000 dollars. Some say i will spend some time in jail, some say I wont because its only a first offense. Has anyone ever gotten one or knew of someone who had one? I am a full time student and full time worker, so will that have any leverage? Anyways, just curious about your experiences...

Anyways, to make a long story short, I got a dui last night. People are telling me I will be paying 10,000 dollars, others say 2,000 dollars. Some say i will spend some time in jail, some say I wont because its only a first offense. Has anyone ever gotten one or knew of someone who had one? I am a full time student and full time worker, so will that have any leverage? Anyways, just curious about your experiences...

If you get the right attorney, you can get the DUI dropped to a reckless op charge. Did you take the breathalyzer test? There is a girl that is friends with a guy I work with, and she just got her 2nd dui arrest dropped to a reckless op (in OH mind you). She had to go to a "weekend retreat" for DUI at some plush hotel. It's absolutely pathetic in Ohio how many morons get these things dropped or the charges lessened

edit: also she paid $5k for her attorney, who was the best at handling DUI cases

#1 thing, get legal representation ... this will be the best advice you will get ... without it [unless your are some sort of legal savant] you will be beaten & abused by the system ... the system is geared for the legal community to deal with ... don't be afraid to shop around, ask others in your circle of friends and associates …

#2, the amount will probably be between 2K to 10K … depending on the jurisdiction and charges levied against you … also be prepared for community service …

One other item, have you had any previous infractions?

If not, maybe a …

Probation - What is 7411 probation?

Question

I am writing to you concerning a type of probation I've heard about for first time offenders. It's called 711 or 7411. I'm not sure which. If you know anything about this type of probation could you please explain it to me? As soon as possible, please. My lawyer has not told me about this or found out if I'm eligible for this type of probation in the state of Michigan. I have been charged with a high misdemeanor. Could you please explain it to me? I have to go to court this coming Friday and I've heard nothing on my pre sentence report from my lawyer. I'd appreciate anything you could tell me.

Answer

Section 7411 of the Public Health code provides for a plea without conviction for a first offense on drug charges. If the defendant is accepted under 7411 and completes a period of probation the case is dismissed at the end of probation without a conviction. The use of 7411 is within the sole discretion of the judge and applies to possession and use cases.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=michigan+7411&btnG=Search

First off, I think you're an idiot. I think all drunk drivers are so please don't be offended. Pay cash so it really hurts.

Secondly, I hope you learned your lesson.

I have no previous offenses, its in michigan, and im assuming i wont see any jail time because I have no previous offenses? I blew a .11, so it wasnt terribly high., so maybe I can get it reduced?

I have no previous offenses, its in michigan, and im assuming i wont see any jail time because I have no previous offenses? I blew a .11, so it wasnt terribly high., so maybe I can get it reduced?

I hope you stop and think next time you drink and don't get behind a wheel. Most places offer cab rides or call a friend. Think what would have happened if you had slower reaction time and hit someone and perhaps killed them. It may seem silly to some to have to answer for these actions, but for the person who has had a loved one killed because of someone drinking and getting behind the wheel--well, nothing can bring that loved one back.

I have gotten 2 of them. I am not happy or anything about it, and have learned my lesson, and also think I was an idiot.

With that being said, I didnt even hire a lawyer for neither of them seeing I didnt have the money too at the time, so I just went in and pleaded guilty both times and was set to serve my time in jail and own up to what I did.

But both ended up in probation, no jail time, a few AA meetings, an 8 hour M.A.D.D. class, a restricted license the first time, (suspended the 2nd time), and no more than $1200 in fines. Also a couple hundred in court costs, and had to pay for the MADD class, cant remember how much, $100 I think. You will also have to pay the state to get your License back. These coming in Allen Park and Lincoln Park.

slim, how long ago was that?

I know several who have gotten them within the past couple of years and it cost them. Get a lawyer and you'll pay less.

I understand the need for the laws but I do think MADD has gotten out of hand. They've gone from being agains drunk driving to being against drinking altogether. I just read a story where they are protesting a rail line for offering up a trip that had free alcohol. These are people who are NOT driving, they are riding on a freakin train, yet MADD is going after them? Like so many others they've taken a good thing and run it into the ground and gotten away from their original purpose. The cities are just as interested in making money as they are in keeping the roads "safe". If everybody quit drinking and driving and smoking then our cities and communities would sure be out a lot of money.

I'd love to see what a 0.08 really amounts to. It's drunk driving, not drinking and then driving.

Much more dangerous now is talking on the cell phone and texting while driving because of the prevalance in which they are done.

Remember that story earlier this summer about the 5 girls who died in upstate NY right after graduating? The driver was texting. Guess now that anybody who gets caught texting should have their lives turned upside down. It's only fair.

'99 and '03 when I got mine. A friend of mine just had one in April, and he hired a lawyer, and didnt get any jail time or anything, he basically got everything I got but also community service, and his fines with lawyer fee's combined were more than I paid for my 2nd one. his fine was $1200 or $1300 and like a $600 lawyer fee as well.

Remember that story earlier this summer about the 5 girls who died in upstate NY right after graduating? The driver was texting. Guess now that anybody who gets caught texting should have their lives turned upside down. It's only fair.

I agree. Same thing with driving while extremely tired. Puts others on the road (as well as you) at risk.

'99 and '03 when I got mine. A friend of mine just had one in April, and he hired a lawyer, and didnt get any jail time or anything, he basically got everything I got but also community service, and his fines with lawyer fee's combined were more than I paid for my 2nd one. his fine was $1200 or $1300 and like a $600 lawyer fee as well.

Someone I know got one back in 2006 or late 2005. He was still doing community service when we talked about it. He had to take vacation time just to fit the work in. Plus he had to be "on call" for breathalyzer tests. He couldn't drink anything, even at home or at weddings. From memory he said it cost him about $5,000 and he had a lawyer. But that could have been just bragging talk.

I just think that MADD"s gotten out of control. I'd like to see some proof that a .08 is drunk. I suspect they just come out with a number and put pressure on the legislators to go lower and lower in the name of "doing something". of course the spinless lawmakers will follow along. Being against MADD is not something that gets you re-elected.

A few months ago I was out with a buddy. We each had 3 mini pitchers in about 3 hours, plus some food. He's a bigger guy like me. He got pulled over on the way home, did the test, and sat in the police car. The cop let him go. He didn't know what he blew, I wish he could have found out.

I can go out to the bar and have a pefectly good time with just 1 or 2 beers over the whole course of the night. Sometimes I don't drink at all and my friends give me a hard time - like we're 20 years old still?

If I ever get hammered its on vacation (no driving or responsibility) or when someone else is driving. But its rare these days.

First off, I think you're an idiot. I think all drunk drivers are so please don't be offended. Pay cash so it really hurts.

Secondly, I hope you learned your lesson.

I was thinking these same things but probably would have been a little bit more polite about them...kind of like WhitecapWendy was.

I have little sympathy for drunk drivers. It is simple to avoid (take a taxi) and so devastating when things go wrong (innocent dead people).

On a related note...I hate the radio commercials for lawyers who promise to get those caught drunk driving off the hook. The one around here is called "The Constitutional Law Center". Their adds make me turn off my radio!

Someone I know got one back in 2006 or late 2005. He was still doing community service when we talked about it. He had to take vacation time just to fit the work in. Plus he had to be "on call" for breathalyzer tests. He couldn't drink anything, even at home or at weddings. From memory he said it cost him about $5,000 and he had a lawyer. But that could have been just bragging talk.

I just think that MADD"s gotten out of control. I'd like to see some proof that a .08 is drunk. I suspect they just come out with a number and put pressure on the legislators to go lower and lower in the name of "doing something". of course the spinless lawmakers will follow along. Being against MADD is not something that gets you re-elected.

A few months ago I was out with a buddy. We each had 3 mini pitchers in about 3 hours, plus some food. He's a bigger guy like me. He got pulled over on the way home, did the test, and sat in the police car. The cop let him go. He didn't know what he blew, I wish he could have found out.

I am not saying that he couldnt have received that punishment, but I hang around a bunch of idiots, and we all have gotten them (nothing to brag about, just that we all drink to much!) and I have never heard of it being so high. Also could be the city in which he lives in too. all of ours are Downriver and Detroit.

I agree with you on MADD, I do think they have gone to far. But there are also good things too, such as on New Years Eve, they have a specific number you can call and a taxi will take you home at no charge to you.

It also depends where in Michigan you got it. I know people who got them in Oakland county and I know a guy that got one up north, completely different in the response to the DD. Do some research on the community and the lawyer your thinking of getting. As some mention, a lot of it is about making money for the court. For a DD i'd take a bad attorney that handles a ton of these and is well liked over a good attorney that doesn't deal with the people prosecuting DD's often.

I do have a friend that spent nearly 5 grand to get out of a DD where he blew a .03, so be glad it wasn't in Colorado.

I was thinking these same things but probably would have been a little bit more polite about them...kind of like WhitecapWendy was.

You of all people should know my famous bluntness!

Normally the court will set a date by which all fine and costs have to be paid. You could pay with credit card. If you want paymets you need to petition the court and they will probably tell you to eff off.

I'd love to see what a 0.08 really amounts to. It's drunk driving, not drinking and then driving.

Exactly! .08 is barely an impairment for an overwhelming majority of our society. It's just a convenient number that allows law enforcement and local government to keep pulling as much dough as possible from their golden DUI goose. It's a total racket to have the threshold that low and the charges and fines so high.

while I was in Germany, the Germans said most drivers lost their license during Oktoberfest..duh..the beer is a lot stronger on an average, so it only takes about 2 beers to blow the test.. I was real lucky that the local bar was only 2 blocks away and I walked..long walk, but made it..just be prepared for the worse and it will cost you some $$$$s..

Exactly! .08 is barely an impairment for an overwhelming majority of our society. It's just a convenient number that allows law enforcement and local government to keep pulling as much dough as possible from their golden DUI goose. It's a total racket to have the threshold that low and the charges and fines so high.

I found this but I'm not sure I'd test the accuracy. Based on what I typically get on my Monday night excursions, I'd blow a .057. I think this may be a little low. It's hard to judge the alcohol vs. just being tired. If it's midnight and I've been up since 6.....

On a related note...I hate the radio commercials for lawyers who promise to get those caught drunk driving off the hook. The one around here is called "The Constitutional Law Center". Their adds make me turn off my radio!

Those commercials make me so mad. To me, they make it sound as if drunk driving is no big deal and doesn't need to be taken seriously, which is totally not the case.