MrStrunz

latest news per danny knobler:

Brandon Inge's reign of terror is almost over! I know many of us love his highlight reel plays, but those great plays are countered by the numerous routine plays the he screws up. Besides, in today's game, 3B is the place for a great bat, not a great glove...
Mr. Inge will be a Tiger far longer than your namesake, you can bank on that. Yes he's been an offensive black hole lately, but his additional chances at third more than made up for those 15 errors.

Yes he's been an offensive black hole lately, but his additional chances at third more than made up for those 15 errors.
He's been a black hole most of his career and still boots the routine play. He needs to make last years effort at the plate more the norm.

I did not read in their entirety all of the Monroe threads that are going so if someone already mentioned this in another thread, I'm sorry for the redundant info.

Someone on the XM Baseball station was interviewing Jim Price the day after Monroe was DFA'd. Price was, for him anyway, suprisingly candid. I'm paraphrasing but this is what he said, the Tigers felt that they had gone as far with Craig as they could go. Price made a comment along the lines that he had to choose his words very carefully, but that most fans would be able to read between the lines. I don't remember exactly how he hid the message but it came down to, that it's one thing for a player to be struggling at the plate but it's another thing to see a player not respond to coaching with the needed effort.

Then Price reverted back to his usual company man self and started talking about how great a kid Maybin is and how bright his future is.

I posted my hunch on this earlier. I don't think Leyland has ANY patience for a guy who isn't putting in the time and being serious about working his way through a slump or who has mental lapses on the field. He shows enormous patience and defends guys and then suddenly something tips and it's all over. Shelton's never recovered, Monroe will never recover in a Tiger uniform. If it's true that Inge was benched indefinitely (as I just read), this could be interesting.

I have heard that Monroe had other issues, maybe they are what Price referred to. I think it's Price who also referred to the Tigers concern about Infante's consistency and focus.

I think people are making way too big of a deal about the "benching" of Inge. It might only be for one game.

[Leyland] also said Ryan Raburn will be at third base instead of Brandon Inge, who is struggling.

He did not limit the Raburn-Inge switch to being a one-game move, either.

"I'm going to give Inge a day off and play Raburn at third," Leyland said. "I don't know what's going to happen after that."

I think people are making way too big of a deal about the "benching" of Inge. It might only be for one game.

You could be right but when he says he doesn't know what's going to happen after that, it sure seems like more than a starter getting a rest.

Our pitching is a heck of a lot bigger problem than Inge's hitting.

Is Leyland trying to divert attention away from that?

Starters with an ERA of over 7.00 in August. This is a lot bigger problem than Inge's lack of HRs

Shef has only hit 1 HR is Aug? Why doesn't Leyland bench him.

You hit the nail right on the head. Leyland even said, way back in June when we were hitting the cover off the ball, that we had to start winning some

2-1, 3-2 games. It seems unless we score 7 or 8 runs, we lose. And even then it's tense. Pitching and defense wins championships, with clutch hitting. And Leyland knows this.

i love ******.com ........

what is that?

I guess, for some reason, tiny url doesn't work on this site. I fixed the link, sorry. I'll know better next time.

I guess, for some reason, tiny url doesn't work on this site. I fixed the link, sorry. I'll know better next time.

lol, no prob. ive seen it happen before and never knew why it happened. i guess you figured it out

You hit the nail right on the head. Leyland even said, way back in June when we were hitting the cover off the ball, that we had to start winning some

2-1, 3-2 games. It seems unless we score 7 or 8 runs, we lose. And even then it's tense. Pitching and defense wins championships, with clutch hitting. And Leyland knows this.

It's amazing to me how far our pitching has fallen. I heard on the radio today, we were first all year in ERA last season, and now we're something like 26th. It's an incredible dropoff.

What the hell happened?

No Rogers. No Zumaya. Bonderman's inconsistency. Rodney hurt or ineffective most of the season. Maroth flopped. Robertson's really not that good.

It's not surprising that the team ERA has taken a major hit. The good news - Our bullpen is finally taking shape, so the relief ERA should begin dropped dramatically.

Rotation? Who knows. Robertson's ERA last year was a bit of a fluke, so I wouldn't be surprised if his stays around 5.00 Verlander and Bonderman will be fine. The other two spots appear to be Miller and Jurrgen's to lose, as I can't see :smoker: rushing Rogers back. So I don't hold out much hope for an ERA drop from that group. Perhaps JJ will be a sleeper down the stretch.

It's amazing to me how far our pitching has fallen. I heard on the radio today, we were first all year in ERA last season, and now we're something like 26th. It's an incredible dropoff.

What the hell happened?

No Kenny Rogers, no Rodney, no Zumaya, no Jamie Walker. That's 407 innings of a 3.27 ERA that haven't been replaced in the slightest. Add in a significant decline in team defense plus some bad luck on balls in play recently and you're going to get a big jump in ERA.

We've also just gotten a lot more negative contributions from the fringe guys (Lopez, Grilli, Macbride, de la Cruz, Tata, Vazquez, etc.) than last year. Heck, Jose Mesa is still raising the season ERA by almost 0.1 runs. 2006 - 3 guys with an ERA over 5.00, who combined to pitch 40 1/3 innings. 2007 - 11 guys with an ERA over 5.00, totaling 379 innings. That kind of stuff just kills a team.

Bottom line: you should always expect some injuries on your pitching staff and plan appropriately. There was no way of knowing that Rodney and Zumaya would be out/ineffective for most of the season, of course. But did we have a suitable backup plan in case it happened? Not really.

Yeah, we all keep saying it, but it's amazing the Tigers are as close as they are with all their key injuries.

What the hell happened?

I my opinion, I don't think any team can overcome Kenny Rogers getting hurt and his 17 wins and 200 innings disappearing. Joel Zumaya/Fernando Rodney were also injuried and away went any real hope of a consistant bullpen. Looking over their replacements involves a bullpen full of arms who have been released before, in some cases many more times or frankly they are just AAA level players. In addition the Tigers have asked a ton out of a young pitcher who was throwing in the College World Series last year.

I don't know a great deal about coaching pitching, but just as a fan/observer of the Tigers, one of the big differences is the Tigers pitching staff dosen't seem to want to throw strikes in certain situtations or is focused on getting strike outs. I realize the two things seem to contridict each other, but they both involve attempting to pitch without having the batter put the ball in play. I don't know if it's a combination of 2 years of heavy innings load on young starters, or a fear they are going to get pounded around. It seems to me that a lot of times the Tigers pitchers get ahead 0-2, 1-2 and the count will always end up 3-2 and either a walk or a groved fastball is how the AB's end up. Meanwhile the pitch count goes though the roof.

The other aspect which has bothered me since the Kansas City Series a few weeks ago when Billy Butler smacked them around, is simple. The Tigers seem to allow one player on each team during each series to beat them. If it's not Butler, it's Carl Crawford or Bobby Abreau. Now, I realize these are solid All Star type players, but they need to have a better game plan in place because they are allowing 1 out of 9 to do all the damage.

Regarding Inge. What bothers me most about his Babe Ruth Comment is the attitude. What does he expect? Pitchers to grove him balls down the middle of the plate? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he may have been joking. However, this is the continutation of an old story with Inge. It's never his fault. He's always in the groove, there is just some off the wall reason why he struggles. I don't know what goes on in the locker room. Perhaps he's a different person in there. From the outside observer however, he appears to be a player who can't accept responsibility for failures.

I believe this is the perfect time to implement a nickname for Brandon. I'll offer up Ruth. Can't use Babe because people will think we're speaking of his attractiveness.

So there it is... Ruth Inge. Or George or Herman?

Yeah, we all keep saying it, but it's amazing the Tigers are as close as they are with all their key injuries.

10 games above .500 is really not that amazing. The only reason they are still in the race is because they are in a crappy division this year. Not that I'm complaining about them being in a crappy division.

10 games above .500 is really not that amazing. The only reason they are still in the race is because they are in a crappy division this year. Not that I'm complaining about them being in a crappy division.

Sure the division is crappy. Last year it was great and the Tigers should've won it on the last day of the year. To me, I don't care about style points. Get in the damn tournament. This crappy division is hanging for them to take. I'll be satisfied if they do.

I'm more amazed that they still have a slight chance at the playoffs with the horrible play of late. Injuries are a reality every team faces. We couldn't expect to get lucky on the injury front like last year, particularly when some of the key players are older and injury prone. That's why Dombrowski building a paper thin organization with no depth whatsoever was so devestating for this team.

I posted my hunch on this earlier. I don't think Leyland has ANY patience for a guy who isn't putting in the time and being serious about working his way through a slump or who has mental lapses on the field. He shows enormous patience and defends guys and then suddenly something tips and it's all over...
Someone on the XM Baseball station was interviewing Jim Price the day after Monroe was DFA'd. Price was, for him anyway, suprisingly candid. I'm paraphrasing but this is what he said, the Tigers felt that they had gone as far with Craig as they could go. Price made a comment along the lines that he had to choose his words very carefully, but that most fans would be able to read between the lines. I don't remember exactly how he hid the message but it came down to, that it's one thing for a player to be struggling at the plate but it's another thing to see a player not respond to coaching with the needed effort. .
I think these comments are pretty much on target. At the first press conference when he was presented as the Tigers' new manager, Leyland said he never told his players that they had to win, but that he expected his players to play the game right and to try their best. Obviously, the players that have now departed violated either one or both of these expectations. We may never know the details but regardless, Leyland has kept his word.

I believe this is the perfect time to implement a nickname for Brandon. I'll offer up Ruth. Can't use Babe because people will think we're speaking of his attractiveness.

"Cringe" and "Garbinge" were both very popular around here pre 2006.

That's why Dombrowski building a paper thin organization with no depth whatsoever was so devestating for this team.

Sheesh..... I sure wish I had a thesaurus handy to properly put this nonsense into it's rightful perspective.