MrStrunz

latest news per danny knobler:

You can tell it has been brewing for a while, but I am glad to see Leyland fly off the handle a bit.. I'd say it is about freaking time..

I agree, but I also believe that Leyland goes public with his displeasure of specific players only as a last resort. I'm sure all these guys already knew that they were in his doghouse.

You can tell it has been brewing for a while, but I am glad to see Leyland fly off the handle a bit.. I'd say it is about freaking time..

This time it was a little stronger but I think Leyland has expressed displeasure several times over the last few weeks. I also think the early promotion of Maybin resulted, in part, from overall concern with the team's play. I believe the move was made in an effort to light a spark.

Inge has been the most personally disliked player on the board for 5 years. I'm not sure what it is about him that gets everybody worked up.

I doubt this is a permanent move. I think they are just giving him a couple of days off. A left side of Guillen and Raburn is not going to work for an extended period.

It's his comments to the media, he's a real backstabber type of guy when it comes to teammates, and according to him doesn't really do anything wrong himself. People typically don't like that.

In analyzing the Tigers funk three numbers stand out to me:

.661, .678 and 7.16

The first is Sheffield's OPS since the All-Star game. The second is Carlos Guillen's. The third is Bonderman's ERA.

The Tigers offense earlier this year was always about the first five guys in the lineup. Now, probably due to nagging injuries, two of these five have been awful since the break (Sheffield has a slugging percentage of .342; Guillen's isn't much better), and the offense has plummented since, especially with Granderson recently joining them. Argue about the bottom half of the lineup all you want, but it was always inconsistent and could never be counted on. Given the injury history of some of the key components of the lineup, and just how dependent on these guys the Tigers were, I never accepted the we-have-enough offense line promoted by the front office (not that there was anything obvious they could have done, although finding more power at first base and a left-handed bat for leftfield really shouldn't have been that difficult, especially during the offseason).

Bonderman's second half has also been bitterly disappointing. If he could have just limited his bad outings to 2-3, which is hardly asking for much from a talent such as him, things wouldn't be quite so dire right now.

Quote from Inge ...."I feel like I'm getting pitched like Babe Ruth right now."

Hey Brandon, here's a news flash............If you stopped swinging like you were Babe Ruth maybe you would hit better!

This time it was a little stronger but I think Leyland has expressed displeasure several times over the last few weeks. I also think the early promotion of Maybin resulted, in part, from overall concern with the team's play. I believe the move was made in an effort to light a spark.

That was my take as well. I viewed it in similar terms to the Young DFA'ing last year. Although, with DY there was a lot more to it than simple non-production, but who knows maybe there were others issues with Monroe as well.

For some reason I see this season being very much like the past two seasons. Strong start, lousy ending. This year just seems to have started a little sooner, probably due to the many injuries and sicknesses. Also, anyone who thinks Raburn will continue at this clip is drinking too much kool-aid. I see him ending up hitting just slightly better than Inge (.250-260 less power) and less defense. Inge is good enough for third, but only if players like Granderson, Maybin...oh well...the rest of the team comes back to life.

I don't think Raburn will continue hitting even close to what he's doing now, but you have to ride the hot streak while it happens. I also doubt if he'll hit as badly as Inge is right now even when he comes back to earth.

It's his comments to the media, he's a real backstabber type of guy when it comes to teammates, and according to him doesn't really do anything wrong himself. People typically don't like that.

I agree with this. This isn't the first time Inge has tried to deflect blame for his own short comings. I had finally come around to liking him and thought that he had grown up, but I guess not. I'd feel bad for him if he had said something like, "I need to play better than this. I know I'm capable of of playing better and it's up to me to do it. No excuses." But he didn't, so I don't.

Do his teammates dislike him? I haven't seen any evidence of that.

Was Monroe an above average fielder? He's improved a lot but I think he only went from bad to average.

You're right-- he improved a great deal to become average. Before Van Slyke worked with him he was often unaware of who the cut-off man was. It's hard to remember how really dreadful an outfielder he was in his first year in Detroit. Mediocrity was a big improvement.

Not to pick at nits but I don't think it's "flying off the handle" to make prudent decisions about how to field the best team possible. Some of the reporting may have made it seem more severe than it is. Inge wasn't DFA'd. He was told to grab some pine. He earned that fair and square just like C-Mo earned his DFA and Shelton earned his MudHens uni last year. Baseball is harsh but a good manager can't be shipping guys out every time they slump.

It isn't like Detroit has a bunch of third baseman lined up to jump into the slot Inge opens up.

Win or lose this will be an interesting off season for 1b, ss and now 3b.

Win or lose this will be an interesting off season for 1b, ss and now 3b.

I would throw C, SP, and bullpen on that list as well.

Do his teammates dislike him? I haven't seen any evidence of that.

I thought I remember seeing somewhere something about Inge talking crap about DY to the press last year, and possibly something about Shelton as well.

Pretty vague statement there, I know, but for some reason that comes to mind.

As long as Jimmy Leyland persists in trotting Jason Grilli out there every other day, he has no room to criticize anyone for not being focused or not doing their job.
Add Casey to that list too. Time for him to pick up a few splinters along side Inge.

Is it just me or does Leyland seem to favor the losers? Grilli, Monroe, Casey Neifi, any others?

Tiger's are making it clear right now from the top on down that they want well rounded players to wrap up the season. Inge and Monroe, clear examples of above average fielders that weren't producing at the plate. Where's that leave Pudge if that's the new motto? Rabelo has been hitting as of late, but Pudge means to much behind the plate... won't affect Pudge.

then why in the heck is Grilli still on the team?

all we need now is Cyg to post, and we'll have the 3 stooges.

Sorry. What I ment to say was that Inge is the best third baseman in the MLB. He's clearly an above average hitter whos just in a slump. Right? I mean his career numbers indicate that. His amazing skill to pick up a ball hit right at him is unmatched.

:cheeky:

That was my take as well. I viewed it in similar terms to the Young DFA'ing last year. Although, with DY there was a lot more to it than simple non-production, but who knows maybe there were others issues with Monroe as well.

I did not read in their entirety all of the Monroe threads that are going so if someone already mentioned this in another thread, I'm sorry for the redundant info.

Someone on the XM Baseball station was interviewing Jim Price the day after Monroe was DFA'd. Price was, for him anyway, suprisingly candid. I'm paraphrasing but this is what he said, the Tigers felt that they had gone as far with Craig as they could go. Price made a comment along the lines that he had to choose his words very carefully, but that most fans would be able to read between the lines. I don't remember exactly how he hid the message but it came down to, that it's one thing for a player to be struggling at the plate but it's another thing to see a player not respond to coaching with the needed effort.

Then Price reverted back to his usual company man self and started talking about how great a kid Maybin is and how bright his future is.

Quote from Inge ...."I feel like I'm getting pitched like Babe Ruth right now,' Inge said. "The pitches they're throwing me, Ted Williams would have a hard time hitting".
Then don't swing at them, dummy! Brandon, Brandon, Brandon .... :bored:

I don't blame Leyland one bit for trying to "shake up" things, and playing the hot hands in the lineup. Maybin was hot at AA, Raburn has hit well, and Jurrgens was pitching very well before his call-up. If Maybin struggles, then swap Thames in there. Anything we get from our other LF's will far exceed what Craig was providing.

Our pitching is a heck of a lot bigger problem than Inge's hitting.

Is Leyland trying to divert attention away from that?

Starters with an ERA of over 7.00 in August. This is a lot bigger problem than Inge's lack of HRs

Shef has only hit 1 HR is Aug? Why doesn't Leyland bench him.

Brandon Inge's reign of terror is almost over! I know many of us love his highlight reel plays, but those great plays are countered by the numerous routine plays the he screws up. Besides, in today's game, 3B is the place for a great bat, not a great glove...

Brandon Inge's reign of terror is almost over! I know many of us love his highlight reel plays, but those great plays are countered by the numerous routine plays the he screws up. Besides, in today's game, 3B is the place for a great bat, not a great glove...

Defense is not the problem. If it was, he would not have been signed to a 4 year contract. He is still near the top of the league in converting batted balls in his zone into outs. His offense is a problem this year. I don't really agree that 3B is a position where you need a great bat but you need a better bat than he has had this year. Last year's version of Inge was fine.

Shef has only hit 1 HR is Aug? Why doesn't Leyland bench him.

Unlike Inge, I don't think Sheff is striking out 3 times a game, and instead seems to be working counts, taking walks, etc.

Unlike Inge, I don't think Sheff is striking out 3 times a game, and instead seems to be working counts, taking walks, etc.

Not that I want Sheff to be benched, because he scores runs works counts and what he does for the other hitters in our lineup, but it would be nice for him to start hitting line drives like he used to do. He's hitting way too many pop ups this year.

If the comments Mario and Rod were talking about yesterday are true then Sheff should be benched.

"Well I'm hurt and if it was anyone other than Jim Leyland I'd rest and get healthy but I'm going to stick it out for him" (paraphrasing of course) is pretty dumb when you're obviously not at 100% and generally have been awful.