MrStrunz

latest news per danny knobler:

Can Jack Wilson play 3rd and SS? Obviously not at the same time. :)

I think this move is further evidence of an impending trade. Is Inge involved?

I believe he'd have to clear waivers and I don't think he could. Nor could Wilson. If it happens, it'll happen after the season.

I believe he'd have to clear waivers and I don't think he could. Nor could Wilson. If it happens, it'll happen after the season.

wilson already cleared waivers.....

Ok, yeah I don't Inge would clear waivers come to think about it. I do think Wilson will be a Tiger by Aug 31 and at this point if he can hit .250 its an improvement.

Can Santiago play third? If not, why was Infante sent down? :confused:

:alien:

because infante two hopped a throw from SS, how would he get the ball from 3B to 1B?

Can Santiago play third? If not, why was Infante sent down? :confused:

:alien:

Mmmm....Might as well keep Inge if Santiago is his replacement. He has no bat.

As better offensively it would look with Raburn in the line up while playing 3rd long term, it would be Error Fest '07 on that side of the infield with the way Guillen's been playing.

because infante two hopped a throw from SS, how would he get the ball from 3B to 1B?

3rd base is a shorter throw, although I am also worried about his arm strength.

Inge has sucked, does suck, and always will suck. I've said this numerous times to my friends, and pretty much anyone else who watches baseball, though they tend to disagree. In his contract year last year, he had good power, yes, but what about his god awful OBP and the crazy strikeout numbers? I was absolutely shocked when he got a four year extension, and wanted to cry when I heard about it this offseason. Everyone seems to love his defense so much as well, but he botches more routine plays than any other 3B in the league. Yeah, he'll make an amazing play every once in awhile, but it doesn't matter if you screw up plays that Casey could make at third.

Signed, #1 Inge hater. If he gets traded or released before his contract is up, I'll be so happy.

269 .326 .377

.244 .320 .393

One of these is Jack Wilson the other is Brandon Inge, if I was forced to pick one of them I'd certainly take Inge who at least plays strong defense

As for shortstops I'd much rather just stick with Infante and Santiago

edit: Inge may be terrible offensively but botching easy plays doesn't mean he's a bad fielder, if he has 10 more errors than a 'better' third baseman but gets to 20 more balls than the other guy it's certainly an overall positive contribution. His defense does seem to be down compared to last year but it's still quite good, the way he's hitting he's basically a defense first utility man.

Oh, and the comment about how Ted Williams couldn't hit those pitches is laughable. Throw a ball out of the strike zone and he'll check swing at it, but go too far to strike out. It happens at least once a game, but Brandon is too dumb to choose whether or not to swing at a pitch.

He's right that Ted Williams couldn't hit those pitches, of course he would have recognized that and stopped swinging at them :lick:

This is one of the worst threads on the history of this board. I've never seen a single tiger get called more names for slumping ever, I don't think. Inge is historically average offensively and awesome defensively. He doesn't suck, and he isn't stupid. He's not even close.

Wow, some people need to really calm down and realize that baseball is just a game.

A Major Leaguer should take responsibility when he's not doing well, he should NOT be feminine and take the easy way out by excusing his outs as pitchers giving extra effort to get HIM out.

Wow, that was a little uncalled for. Hate on Inge all you want, just don't be a sexist pig about it. :angry:

This is one of the worst threads on the history of this board. I've never seen a single tiger get called more names for slumping ever, I don't think. Inge is historically average offensively and awesome defensively. He doesn't suck, and he isn't stupid. He's not even close.

Wow, some people need to really calm down and realize that baseball is just a game.

Inge has been the most personally disliked player on the board for 5 years. I'm not sure what it is about him that gets everybody worked up.

I doubt this is a permanent move. I think they are just giving him a couple of days off. A left side of Guillen and Raburn is not going to work for an extended period.

This isn't really a surprise. Now that Monroe is out of the picture, someone has to draw the ire of those who focus on one player. If Inge were to be benched then they would have to shift to another player, Pudge most likely. One thing is for certain, they will always find someone on the team to hate.

Inge is far from average offensively. Both for his career and this season.

The thing about Inge that irritates me is that he is often really arrogant when he talks to the media, and says a lot of things that are just plain ridiculous (like intimating that he and Ted Williams have something in common as hitters other than that they both use wooden bats). He's like a .230 hitter with poor pitch recognition skills and average power, yet some of his comments to the media give the impression that he thinks he's this big-shot all-star 3rd baseman because he hits a few homeruns and makes good (great) plays in the field.

Inge is far from average offensively. Both for his career and this season.

but he was close to average for a third baseman from 2004-2006 and above average defensively. That is why they signed him to a 4 year deal. This year is the first year since 2003 where he has been really bad offensively.

The thing about Inge that irritates me is that he is often really arrogant when he talks to the media, and says a lot of things that are just plain ridiculous (like intimating that he and Ted Williams have something in common as hitters other than that they both use wooden bats). He's like a .230 hitter with poor pitch recognition skills and average power, yet some of his comments to the media give the impression that he thinks he's this big-shot all-star 3rd baseman because he hits a few homeruns and makes good (great) plays in the field.

he had some lame excuse either last year or earlier this year why he was in a slump too.

It's fine by me if they sit Inge down. If I were him, I'd be worried. When Leyland hits a tipping point (see Shelton and Monroe) guys don't seem to recover. To me it's always a defensive lapse that sends him over the edge, I don't know if he gets angry with himself when his justification for playing a guy blows up or if that's the final sign in his mind that a guy's just done.

Granderson struggled mightily for a stretch last year but Leyland kept running him out there, partly because his defense was solid, partly because he was working overtime trying to get himself right. I'm guessing Inge hasn't been taking his slump seriously enough for Leyland's liking.

Inge has almost no value if he's not playing excellent defense. And since his defense has taken a fall this season, he has little value.

It's fine by me if they sit Inge down. If I were him, I'd be worried. When Leyland hits a tipping point (see Shelton and Monroe) guys don't seem to recover. To me it's always a defensive lapse that sends him over the edge, I don't know if he gets angry with himself when his justification for playing a guy blows up or if that's the final sign in his mind that a guy's just done.

I think the ultimate Inge decision will involve more than just Leyland though because he has 3 years left on his contract. Shelton and Monroe were easier cuts.

The problem with inge is that hes been in a career long "slump". He is and will always be a garbage hitter. There is no saving him. To say hes just in a "funk" is the understatement of a lifetime.

When polanco comes back, raburn should be the full time 3b. Inge should be benched for the rest of the year and shipped out when season is over.

Thank You. Thank you. Thank You. Thank You. Perfect post.

all we need now is Cyg to post, and we'll have the 3 stooges.