MrStrunz

latest news per danny knobler:

Quote from Inge ...."I feel like I'm getting pitched like Babe Ruth right now,' Inge said. "The pitches they're throwing me, Ted Williams would have a hard time hitting".

People are saying that Inge is passing blame with this comment, but I would disagree. I see this more as Inge just saying that he isn't feeling comfortable at the plate right now.

Inge needs to take some time off.

Hello, his wife just had a baby and this is no doubt playing on his mind. Lets not forget that. The kid is about three weeks old now?

Surely he is thinking about how his wife is with his new baby.

This time off will be welcomed and I'm sure Inge will come back just fine.

A Major Leaguer should take responsibility when he's not doing well, he should NOT be feminine and take the easy way out by excusing his outs as pitchers giving extra effort to get HIM out.

Sexist much?

How is Polanco at third base?

Inge was fine last year (OPS near .800) but he's been awful for months now, it's to the point where no matter how bad Raburn is defensively he's going to more than make up for it with the offensive advantage.

I don't understand how people jump on Inge.

Anytime a Golden Glove is brought up for the 3rd base position...Inge has his name mentioned as being part of contention. His bat might not be there right now, but Inge has pulled through for us on SEVERAL occasions and has kept us in games one way or another.

If it was not his at bats that did it, then it was his run-saving defensive plays. Either way, Inge has been a positive part of this team and I'm willing to say that without many of his plays this year, we'd be worse off than we really are.

How is Polanco at third base?

He used to be a very good third baseman. I doubt that Leyland would mess with a good thing and move him off of second though.

The problem with inge is that hes been in a career long "slump". He is and will always be a garbage hitter. There is no saving him. To say hes just in a "funk" is the understatement of a lifetime.

When polanco comes back, raburn should be the full time 3b. Inge should be benched for the rest of the year and shipped out when season is over.

The problem with inge is that hes been in a career long "slump". He is and will always be a garbage hitter. There is no saving him. To say hes just in a "funk" is the understatement of a lifetime.

When polanco comes back, raburn should be the full time 3b. Inge should be benched for the rest of the year and shipped out when season is over.

Thank You. Thank you. Thank You. Thank You. Perfect post.

wow. That's really negative from Knobler. He's usually Mr. postive and "don't worry" about everything.

Thank God the indians and twins have been just almost as bad as the tigers.

Give it to Leyland to have the balls to make moves like this. I give props to Leyland, he gives the players time to show what they have and basically lets the players make his decisions for him. Inge ain't hitting, so he made it easy for Leyland to bench him.

He used to be a very good third baseman. I doubt that Leyland would mess with a good thing and move him off of second though.

May be a possible short term solution..Raburn is a butcher at 3B he is semi-passable at 2B..Expect that 3B and SS will be top priorities in the offseason. Inge will have some value, but it will diminish with any more extended failure like this season..

It will be interesting how DD reworks the squad for next year..we can assume that Guillen will go to 1B.

But many players who have been part of the core can be expected to be shopped or not tendered.

wow. That's really negative from Knobler. He's usually Mr. postive and "don't worry" about everything.

Leyland was negative so Knobler was negative. Knobler goes along with whatever Leyland says.

Inge needs to take some time off.

Hello, his wife just had a baby and this is no doubt playing on his mind. Lets not forget that. The kid is about three weeks old now?

Surely he is thinking about how his wife is with his new baby.

This time off will be welcomed and I'm sure Inge will come back just fine.

He's needed time off his whole career then.

Inge thinks pitchers are pitching him tough? No, they're throwing what you will swing at, moron. You consistently swing at pitches low and away so they keep throwing it there. Nothing tough about that. It's smart. That means they are smarter than you. Wise up, quit swinging at crap, and watch how many mistakes they'll make in the strike zone.

Inge has been a .280+ hitter for parts of seasons in the past. It is reasonable to expect him to have done better this August. He won't bend at the waist to hit an outside pitch to save his soul. I wish he would watch what Sheffield, or Polanco do, to hit pitches when they were fooled initially.

all I want to know is why is it finally not acceptable now instead of two months ago?

or two days ago.....

i had quite a bit of backlash from the thread I started about us looking for a replacement for Inge just a week ago.

Inge was playing acceptably as recently as early July, his OPS has dropped about 50 points since then and he's been absolutely horrible for the last couple of weeks, that's why it changed.

It's very annoying to see him go down 1-2 in the count, lay off two tough pitches to get to 3-2, and then chase something in the dirt to strikeout, which seems to be how about half of his at bats go. If you can take a pitch 1-2 why not 3-2?

Inge has been a .280+ hitter for parts of seasons in the past. It is reasonable to expect him to have done better this August. He won't bend at the waist to hit an outside pitch to save his soul. I wish he would watch what Sheffield, or Polanco do, to hit pitches when they were fooled initially.

Exactly. He tries to pull outside pitches. The bat head gets through the strike zone too quickly, the top hand bends down and you're left with dribblers to SS and 3rd. How many times have we seen that? If he'd stay back and take the pitch the other way his top hand stays level and he could hit liners and hump-back liners to right and right-center. But he'd rather be a hero and hit a home run.

"I feel like I'm getting pitched like Babe Ruth right now,'' Inge said. "The pitches they're throwing me, Ted Williams would have a hard time hitting.''

Neither Ruth nor Williams will be joining the Tigers on Tuesday.

Damn.

Can Jack Wilson play 3rd and SS? Obviously not at the same time. :)

I think this move is further evidence of an impending trade. Is Inge involved?