MrStrunz

latest news per danny knobler:

Inge sits Tuesday,raburn is playing third.

Leyland pissed about unacceptable at bats.

Schedule: Cleveland at Tigers, 7:05 p.m. Tuesday (Jair Jurrjens vs. Fausto Carmona, FSN Detroit), 7:05 p.m. Wednesday (Justin Verlander vs. Paul Byrd, FSN Detroit), 1:05 p.m. Thursday (Nate Robertson vs. Jake Westbrook, FSN Detroit); New York at Tigers, 7:05 p.m. Friday (Chad Durbin or Andrew Miller vs. Roger Clemens, FSN Detroit), 7:05 p.m. Saturday (Jeremy Bonderman vs. Chien-Ming Wang, Tiger TV Network), 1:05 p.m. Sunday (Jair Jurrjens vs. Phil Hughes, Tiger TV Network).

Inge sits Tuesday,raburn is playing third.

Leyland pissed about unacceptable at bats.

Great news.

I heard that RR isn't that good of a 3rd baseman. True or false?

Quote from Inge ...."I feel like I'm getting pitched like Babe Ruth right now,' Inge said. "The pitches they're throwing me, Ted Williams would have a hard time hitting".

Look for Jack Wilson's suitcases arriving at Metro Airport tomorrow.

This is my prediction...Not Danny Knoblers.

Sweet. I'm willing to see what Raburn can do at 3B. I might be willing to sacrifice a little bit of defense for a significant increase in offense at the position.

I'm going to this game! I hope that Maybin is playing again, although I'm kind of expecting him to sit for a game after having played three straight games.

...."I feel like I'm getting pitched like Babe Ruth right now,' Inge said. "The pitches they're throwing me, Ted Williams would have a hard time hitting".

I really hope that's fake. No Brandon. You just suck as a hitter. You had a decent amount of power for a brief time but when you hit 30 then it's sort of is what it is.

He's always done that crap. He'd go 3-4 in a game then talk confident about figuring it out and making an adjustment.

Awesome. When we look back on this season whether we make the playoffs or not, we can't say the Tigers didn't try.

They have fought through injuries to the rotation and the bullpen (Miller, Zoom, Rogers, Rodney) weren't afraid to bench/demote non-deserving starters (Monroe, Inge), and gave some young guys a chance (Maybin, Jurrjens, Miller, Raburn)

I think Leyland understands that they need to make these moves now, so they have a solid lineup in September when this team is trying to make another playoff run. Plus its not too late to make some kind of waiver deal.

Finally. I think today's game was the final straw for a lot of people. I hope this is not a one or two game sit on the bench deal for Brandon. Raburn needs to get a fair chance to play regularly at third. I think he deserves a fair shot at capturing the starting third base position; he has hit well since he has been up.

Inge should have been out of here before his new deal last year. Serviceable, but, not an offensive contributor. HORRIBLE for a major league thirdbaseman.

'Bout time some adjustment was made and YES, RR is horrible defensively at 3B. We'll see how he does in his 1 game audition on Tuesday.

Look for Maybin to continue to start in LF.

I heard that RR isn't that good of a 3rd baseman. True or false?

True but I think it's a good idea to take advantage of his hot bat for a few days and give Inge a chance to clear his mind.

I really hope that's fake. No Brandon. You just suck as a hitter. You had a decent amount of power for a brief time but when you hit 30 then it's sort of is what it is.

He's always done that crap. He'd go 3-4 in a game then talk confident about figuring it out and making an adjustment.

FWIW, When I first read that quote I searched a few of the post-game wrap-ups and none of them have it in there.

Finally. I think today's game was the final straw for a lot of people. I hope this is not a one or two game sit on the bench deal for Brandon. Raburn needs to get a fair chance to play regularly at third. I think he deserves a fair shot at capturing the starting third base position; he has hit well since he has been up.

Everything I've heard about indicates Raburn is an awful 3B. I doubt it will be a long term arrangement.

Here is the whole article: http://www.mlive.com/tigers/

Tigers lose third straight to Yankees; Leyland says at-bats 'not acceptable'

by Danny Knobler

Sunday August 19, 2007, 7:29 PM

NEW YORK -- Joel Zumaya comes back Tuesday. Maybe Placido Polanco, too. Yes, but will it matter?

Kenny Rogers thinks there's a chance he could start a game as soon as this coming weekend. Great, but can he make a difference?

These are tough times for the Detroit Tigers, who lost again Sunday and now own the American League's worst record over the last 31 days. That's a full month of baseball, and the Tigers have lost 21 out of 31.

Nobody in the whole league has been worse.

It's been ugly, which is also a good way to describe Sunday's 9-3 loss to New York. This was a game that, despite the lopsided final score, the Tigers probably should have won -- but they didn't.

"Terrible at-bats,'' manager Jim Leyland said. "The concentration level of the at-bats is just not acceptable. I'm sorry, but it's not acceptable. It's not acceptable if you're going to win.''

The Tigers beat the Yankees on Thursday, but lost the next three days in large part because they went 3-for-21, with eight strikeouts, with runners in scoring position. Twice on Sunday, they could have scored a run simply by putting a ball in play, and they failed even to do that.

AP PhotoDetroit's Brandon Inge dives into the stands trying to catch a foul ball Sunday. Tigers manager Jim Leyland says the slumping third baseman will be out of the lineup Tuesday.

The worst offenders were Sean Casey, Carlos Guillen and Brandon Inge, and Leyland said that Inge (11-for-51 with 26 strikeouts this month) would be out of the lineup Tuesday night against Cleveland.

Incidentally, the Indians also lost Sunday, so the Tigers remain 1.5 games out of first place in the American League Central. While the Tigers' 10-21 record since July 19 is the AL's worst, their entire division has played sub-.500 ball for the last month, with the Tribe struggling along at 12-16.

As Leyland has said many times, the Tigers are fortunate to still be in this thing.

They're playing the Indians and Yankees again this week, but it's not the quality of the opposition that has been the problem. The Tigers didn't look any worse against New York than they did against Tampa Bay.

The problem is they didn't look any better against the Yankees, either.

Sunday, they had chance after chance against starter Chien-Ming Wang, and actually took a 3-2 lead with a two-run fifth-inning rally that included a walk, a balk, a wild pitch and a double steal. But an Inge error led to a game-tying run in the bottom of the fifth, and Johnny Damon's sixth-inning home run off Jeremy Bonderman put the Yankees on top for good.

Speaking of homers, the Tigers hit just one in the three straight losses. That's not good, because they've lost the last eight games in which they've been held homerless, another symptom of their bad situational hitting.

Now that Craig Monroe is gone, Inge seems to be the very symbol of the Tigers' offensive futility. The scary thing is that he claims to feel good at the plate.

"I feel like I'm getting pitched like Babe Ruth right now,'' Inge said. "The pitches they're throwing me, Ted Williams would have a hard time hitting.''

Neither Ruth nor Williams will be joining the Tigers on Tuesday.

Right now, you wonder whether it would matter.

Polanco still weak

Polanco is slowly getting over the virus that forced him to miss the entire six-game road trip, but his strength has been slow to return. ``I took two ground balls (Saturday), and it felt like I'd already played a doubleheader,'' he said.

Zumaya's back

The Tigers went 50-46 in the 96 games Zumaya missed, after he ruptured a tendon in his right middle finger on May 4 in Kansas City.

Leyland seems to tolerate Inge's bat as long as he's playing good defense. The bothced DP ball is probably what pushed Leyland to make this move.

Inge, Guillen and Casey were singled out as players who are not concentrating at the plate. I'm not sure whether that came from Leyland or Knobler though.

I can't believe Inge used the excuse of being pitched to in a tough manner. Isn't the JOB of a major league pitcher to get the batter out? Sincerely, his BA shows that pitchers don't have to use to much "extra effort" to get him out. I can't believe he'd say something like this.

Inge is really struggling right now. It doesn't look like he is seeing the ball very well, and especially anything offspeed.

Back to Raburn, he made the wheel at 2b look easy on those DP tries. Especially Damon's. However, I wonder if his success at the plate is more of the fact that other teams haven't seen him enough to know how to pitch him yet?

Did you think Inge would take any of the blame when he's going bad, he never does anything wrong (although that error he made today was probably the play of the game).

Raburn has been pretty shaky in the field so far, I don't think he will be any kind of long term solution at third base defensively. He sure can hit though.

Inge is really struggling right now. It doesn't look like he is seeing the ball very well, and especially anything offspeed.

Back to Raburn, he made the wheel at 2b look easy on those DP tries. Especially Damon's. However, I wonder if his success at the plate is more of the fact that other teams haven't seen him enough to know how to pitch him yet?

A Major Leaguer should take responsibility when he's not doing well, he should NOT be feminine and take the easy way out by excusing his outs as pitchers giving extra effort to get HIM out. He's not that tough of an out anyway, heck, he's batting 9th (excluding when Maybin's in the lineup)

For that matter, on how many major league teams does the third baseman hit 9th?

1.........ours

ANYTHING wrong with this picture?

wow. probably for the best. perhaps granderson should sit a game or 2 as well.