holygoat

Craig Monroe DFA'd

I think Santiago can play third. Plus, Raburn could probably play there in an emergency.

How much of a defensive upgrade is Santiago over Infante?

Maybe I haven't been paying attention enough, but I don't recall seeing Infante do a bad job at SS.

Infante is clearly a better option offensively. Those who are saying that he hasn't been hitting must not be actually watching the games.

Very interesting day wasn't it? I can't remember a day like this in years with these very abrupt and involved roster decisions.

Yeah. Pretty much the start of a new era in team history, if all goes as planned. This kid may have a statue one day.

Reports are that they were also going to release Grilli but were afraid of overhwhelming Tiger fans with too much joy in one day causing them to have heart attacks. Playoff invoices only went out yesterday so they need time to get those paid.

Maroth....check

Monroe....check

Just one more left until the "Bad 3" is finally gone this season.

Yeah. Pretty much the start of a new era in team history, if all goes as planned. This kid may have a statue one day.

I know you've seen him play a lot and I've seen him a few times and there is no question the the sky is truly the limit with this guy. Wait until Tigers fans who have never seen him play watch him run when he hits one in the gap. It gives me goosebumps.

I am a bit surprised by the Infante/Santiago flip-flop, but understand it. If you look at how the organization has really soured on Infante, and the addition of Raburn who can backup 2B/CF (essentially Infante's only role on the team), I think the writing was on the wall. I just didn't expect to see this until the off season. Odd are that he's gone after this year.

Monroe is a definate shock for me. It will be hard to deal him because he makes so much money. Very hard to imagine a team that isn't in the play-off hunt would give up anything for him, because he's very likely to be non-tendered this off season. Anyone interested could then sign him at a reasonable cost, not $5M+ per season.

Given the Cubs OF situation and Pinella's preferance for "veterans", this is the one place that I think makes a lot of sense. Right now their OF consists of Pie, Murton, Jones with DeRosa as a backup. But as with any Monroe trade, I expect that we eat most all the salary, if we are going to get a prospect back.

I saw that Milwaukee DFA'd Spurling... hmmm... I'm not sure I think he's a real upgrade to Grilli though...

Sadly the Free Press, in their updated maybin article, are speculating that the Monroe/Infante moves could be related to continued discussions about Wilson. All 3 have already cleared waivers and could be dealt.

Sadly the Free Press, in their updated maybin article, are speculating that the Monroe/Infante moves could be related to continued discussions about Wilson. All 3 have already cleared waivers and could be dealt.

Not a Jack Wilson fan? I think he'd be a really nice fit.

Wxyt is reporting a rumor Monroe for Wilson. They are currently trying to confirm if there are ungoing talks.

What cost are we talking about Monroe? He is essentially a free agent with roughly $1M left on his contract with a $5M option for next year. We can just take on the rest of this year's deal, get a long-shot prospect... or just send him to Toledo and non-tender him after the season.

Didnt the Tigers just sign Monroe to a 4 year, $16 million deal?

No.

Didnt the Tigers just sign Monroe to a 4 year, $16 million deal?

This happened just after signing Grilli to a two-year, $12 million contract.

From Bucsdugout.com

http://www.bucsdugout.com/

The Tigers have called up top outfield prospect Cameron Maybin - chosen one pick before Andrew McCutchen and arguably an even better prospect - and designated outfielder Craig Monroe for assignment.

In completely unrelated news, Dave Littlefield just broke his wrist while frantically trying to fish his cellphone out of his pocket.

Wilson is a good fielder but an awful hitter who is owed about 14 million over the next two years. They need a shortstop but I'd rather they wait until after the season and search for a better option. If it was just a matter of renting him for a month, he'd be a decent option but not with his contract.

Is Pittsburgh picking up Wilson's entire contract? Certainly they can, as they just took on Matt Morris' entire deal when no one else would. Under this circumstance, fine, deal them Monroe and let them eat that contract too.

Then yeah, I'll take on Wilson.

Guillen is really a big injury risk right now and I doubt they want to go into the stretch run and potentially the playoffs with Santiago as starter if Guillen goes down. So, I don't think they are done yet. If they want a veteran, they could just add Vizquel or Clayton for the end of the year but I think the Wilson deal has a good chance of happening.

The biggest problem with Wilson is with a contract that big they will feel obliged to make him into a starter sooner or later. Paying that kind of money for Wilson as a starting SS is simply not acceptable!

Wow, and i almost did not even log in because i thought it was a slow day.

I am ecstatic that C-Mo will not be paid by the tigers after this year.