Yoda

Maybin to Erie

http://www.seawolves.com/seawolves-news/2007/08/tigers-top-prospect-cameron-maybin-joins-erie

Tigers Top Prospect Cameron Maybin Joins Erie

August 9, 2007 | SeaWolves News

REPLACE

Tigers top prospect Cameron Maybin joins the SeaWolves

The Detroit Tigers announced today that their 2005 first round draft pick (10th overall), Cameron Maybin, has been added to Erie’s roster from Class-A Lakeland.

Maybin is currently ranked the top prospect in the Detroit Tigers organization according to Baseball America.

In 83 games with the Lakeland Flying Tigers, Maybin batted .304 with 10 home runs and 44 RBI. He was the eighth best hitter in the Florida State League. Maybin also collected 14 doubles and five triples to go along with 43 walks and 25 stolen bases. His .393 on-base percentage ranked third in the FSL.

Maybin was tabbed the Tigers Minor League Player of the Year following the 2006 season with the Midwest League champion West Michigan WhiteCaps. He finished fifth in the MWL with a .304 average and was named the league’s “Prospect of the Year.”

This obviously opens the door to the AFL this offseason. But what else? A September call-up? He'd be a nice pair of legs to have on the bench.

Well there goes half of the LFT offense, congrats, to Maybin. IT's going to be interesting to see where the put Clete LF or RF assuming Maybin will be in CF.

Good to get him out of Lakeland, which seems to be something of a bad environment this season. Even better, it's not a courtesy call-up (see: Clevlen, Brent). Cam deserves this.

Since coming back from injury (22 games) he's hit .286/.352/.571 with 6 doubles, 2 triples and 4 HR's.

Well there goes half of the LFT offense, congrats, to Maybin. IT's going to be interesting to see where the put Clete LF or RF assuming Maybin will be in CF.

Good question. I guess we'll know in a few hours. I bet Cleat won't be happy.

With him going to Erie, does anyone think that Boesch will get called up?

I'd like to see Gorkys called up.

I could see Gorkys getting the nod. If he does go to LFT, you guys are in for a treat when he's on the bases. He stole his 44th base last night.

Congrats to Cameron, very happy to see him moved up!

Nice to see they think he's ready for AA. I wonder if they send him to Toledo next year or start him out at Erie with another mid year promotion (possibly Detroit :ponder: ).

And after that, maybe Kody Kaiser to WMi?

Kaiser has struggled mightily of late and leads the NYPL in strikeouts. I would think Casper Wells, who is having a much better season and was just named to the all-star team, would get the nod over Kaiser if one of the WM guys gets called up.

Question for the minor league experts: Should we interpret this move as an attempt to get Maybin ready to compete for a spot on the major league club in 2008 (when Monroe will be gone)?

Or is it more likely the organization has decided Maybin can't learn anything new in Lakeland and they want to reward his progress by giving him a shot to play in the AA postseason before spending the 2008 season in AA ball?

I don't know much about what makes a position player ready for the bigs, but I would imagine strike zone judgment is really high up there, and it appears that Maybin has that. It may take him a while to catch up with MLB caliber pitching, but am I foolish to think he'd instantly be able at least to replace the production we've been getting from our LF/8th spot in the order?

that's a good question that I'm not sure how to answer. His numbers indicate a consistency in hitting and fielding at the A level.

Question for the minor league experts: Should we interpret this move as an attempt to get Maybin ready to compete for a spot on the major league club in 2008 (when Monroe will be gone)?

Or is it more likely the organization has decided Maybin can't learn anything new in Lakeland and they want to reward his progress by giving him a shot to play in the AA postseason before spending the 2008 season in AA ball?

I don't know much about what makes a position player ready for the bigs, but I would imagine strike zone judgment is really high up there, and it appears that Maybin has that. It may take him a while to catch up with MLB caliber pitching, but am I foolish to think he'd instantly be able at least to replace the production we've been getting from our LF/8th spot in the order?

Probably not. He'll have to dominate Erie for the rest of the season, as well as the AFL, and be very good in spring training. Even then, doubtful. I think he'll be back in Erie at the beginning of '08, with a good shot at being called up mid-summer. That will have a lot to do with the production of whoever is playing left next year. If a guy like Raburn is producing well, they may hold of and try to spin him at the trade deadline and call up Maybin then. Either way, Maybin getting promoted to the majors probably won't happen until at least mid-summer and even then it will depend on whether or not they even need another OFer.

I do agree with you that he'd be better than Monroe right now. I don't think they'll rush him because of that though.

Probably not. He'll have to dominate Erie for the rest of the season, as well as the AFL, and be very good in spring training. Even then, doubtful. I think he'll be back in Erie at the beginning of '08, with a good shot at being called up mid-summer. That will have a lot to do with the production of whoever is playing left next year. If a guy like Raburn is producing well, they may hold of and try to spin him at the trade deadline and call up Maybin then. Either way, Maybin getting promoted to the majors probably won't happen until at least mid-summer and even then it will depend on whether or not they even need another OFer.

I do agree with you that he'd be better than Monroe right now. I don't think they'll rush him because of that though.

From following our Northwest team through the years we saw that few thought that Griffey and A-Rod would be ready so quickly but they just grew into each level and then played so well in Spring Training that there was no justification to send them down again. Boht arrived a year sooner than most thought they would. Kind of like Bondo his first year. I sure wouldn't rule him out for next year although I think the odds are against it. If he has a monster AFL and spring he could force the issue.

Great news, pretty much on schedule from what I heard before the season, if not for the shoulder thing, hopefully he keeps playing well.

From following our Northwest team through the years we saw that few thought that Griffey and A-Rod would be ready so quickly but they just grew into each level and then played so well in Spring Training that there was no justification to send them down again. Boht arrived a year sooner than most thought they would. Kind of like Bondo his first year. I sure wouldn't rule him out for next year although I think the odds are against it. If he has a monster AFL and spring he could force the issue.

True, but the M's weren't really contending when they brought Griffey up, were they? I agree though, you never know. He would have to be very impressive from here on out though.

Great news! I have already predicted that Maybin will be in Detroit sometime next year, so all is going well!