Yoda

7-31-07: TRADE DEADLINE

My worry is that they would be stuck with him for 2 years and might be tempted to make him a starting shortstop next year with Guillen moving to first. That is a scenario I don't like at all. If Wilson were an elite fielder I could see it but there is no evidence that he is any more than an average fielder and horrible hitter.

That's my fear too. If you give Leyland a crappy NL vet he's bound to play him.

If the price is that high for an average reliever who's arm is about ready to fall off, the Tigers probably won't be making any moves

Betamit is a high price? He's 27 years old now, and is likely at the peak of an unimpressive career. It's close, but I'd rather have Proctor.

Betamit is a high price? He's 27 years old now, and is likely at the peak of an unimpressive career. It's close, but I'd rather have Proctor.

2006 was Proctor's only good season, he's struggling this year, and he's been severely overworked. (Many scouts say his shoulder is about ready to explode)

With the price that relievers are getting right now and the fact that Zoom and Rodney will be back, Chacon would be an upgrade over Grilli which IMO is a positive step.

I'm with you on wanting to upgrade Grilli. I think that's long been a dream of every Tiger fan, but I'd think we could do better than Chacon if we wanted a long reliever.

Considering how significantly worse the team would be if we traded for Wilson and gave him significant playing time, the addition of Chacon over Grilli wouldnt be enough to make that a positive trade for us. Chacon would merely be another borderline candidate for the pen, which we have plenty of already. If we're gonna get a reliever, I'd say it needs to be closer to a setup man who can keep his walk totals down.

If we're gonna upgrade at long relief (which I do agree should be looked into) I'd look at the prices of guys like Hector Carrasco, Carlos Silva, or Brett Tomko, as they'd be similar calibur additions with a more stable history and probably wouldnt cost as much to get. Plus their contracts expire after this year too.

I'm with you on wanting to upgrade Grilli. I think that's long been a dream of every Tiger fan, but I'd think we could do better than Chacon if we wanted a long reliever.

Considering how significantly worse the team would be if we traded for Wilson and gave him significant playing time, the addition of Chacon over Grilli wouldnt be enough to make that a positive trade for us. Chacon would merely be another borderline candidate for the pen, which we have plenty of already. If we're gonna get a reliever, I'd say it needs to be closer to a setup man who can keep his walk totals down.

If we're gonna upgrade at long relief (which I do agree should be looked into) I'd look at the prices of guys like Hector Carrasco, Carlos Silva, or Brett Tomko, as they'd be similar calibur additions with a more stable history and probably wouldnt cost as much to get. Plus their contracts expire after this year too.

I'm trying to rationalize in my own mind how this trade for Wilson would be a good one!

2006 was Proctor's only good season, he's struggling this year, and he's been severely overworked. (Many scouts say his shoulder is about ready to explode)

Getting away from New York and Joe Torre might be just what Proctor needs. Seems like he has pitched every other game for them for the last 3 years.

If the price is that high for an average reliever who's arm is about ready to fall off, the Tigers probably won't be making any moves

I think you're over-valuing Betemit. He's never had an OPS over .800 for a full season. And he has a career OPS+ of 100.

I'm not sure where they'll play him though, as 3B and SS seem to be pretty well filled. Maybe 2B? Or maybe he's just insurance against Arod opting out this winter.

Both Proctor and Betemit look to be arbitration eligible next season, so the money is probably a wash.

Philip Humber was just pulled from his scheduled start in the minors...

Getting away from New York and Joe Torre might be just what Proctor needs. Seems like he has pitched every other game for them for the last 3 years.

Joe Torre overusing a reliever? I am shocked. :shocked:

What could the Mets be seeking that would cost that much?

Also, what's the deal with the apostrophe in your sig line? Some inside joke?

Oh boy another bust with a wrecked arm

It seems like the Tex trade might be the only one this year with above average players involved

What could the Mets be seeking that would cost that much?

Gagne? Cordero?

I wouldnt give up Humber for either of those, but the Mets have been linked to those two (as well as Joe Blanton, Javier Vasquez, Jon Garland, and Eric Byrnes...)

Gagne? Cordero?

I wouldnt give up Humber for either of those, but the Mets have been linked to those two (as well as Joe Blanton, Javier Vasquez, Jon Garland, and Eric Byrnes...)

This is just a wild hunch maybe its for Johan with Milledge included??

Like I said a shot in the dark!:classic:

If everyone in the Tigers pen had the same numbers as Chacon does this season we would have a pretty good bullpen.

It's funny how you constantly overrate anyone that isn't a Tiger and underrate anyone that is a Tiger.

This is just a wild hunch maybe its for Johan with Milledge included??

Like I said a shot in the dark!:classic:

Maybe if Santana was a free agent after this year. I'm a little surprised they arent loudly shopping Torii Hunter since it seems like they'd rather save up the cash and make a legitimate offer to Santana and Nathan rather than resigning Hunter. I guess technically theyre still in the race, but the move to trade Luis Castillo tells me they dont think they're capable of a run like last year.

Gagne? Cordero?

Considering that the Nats have Cordero under their control until 2009 and they're looking to build a decent squad for the opening of their new stadium next year, it would really have to be a big offer (with prospect(s) like Humber) that would get Bowden to give him up. The asking price for Cordero has been prohibitively high leading up to the deadline according to many sources.

Tigers, Pirates still talking about Wilson

July 31, 2007

By JON PAUL MOROSI

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

If the Tigers trade for a shortstop today, it will most likely be Pittsburgh’s Jack Wilson.

One executive with knowledge of the talks indicated this morning that the Tigers and Pirates were still discussing a deal.

Detroit has also expressed interest in Houston’s Eric Bruntlett and Colorado’s Clint Barmes, but the Tigers are not believed to be in serious talks with either club.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/SPORTS02/70731038/1081/COL08

Posted a half-hour ago. Looks like things might have cooled on the Barmes front.

This has not been a fun trade deadline day. I've actually been rooting against a deal ever since the Wilson stuff came out.

Considering that the Nats have Cordero under their control until 2009 and they're looking to build a decent squad for the opening of their new stadium next year, it would really have to be a big offer (with prospect(s) like Humber) that would get Bowden to give him up. The asking price for Cordero has been prohibitively high leading up to the deadline according to many sources.

Yeah thats what I'm thinking too. We've already had long discussions on this board about the talent that the Nats could trade and how ridiculous the asking prices are. Seems like they even wanted a high price for Dmitri Young. I stopped taking Nationals rumors seriously when someone posted something about a proposed Jon Rauch deal where they wanted Cameron Maybin....

Bowden seems so willing to trade, but then is overly stingy with his prices. I guess since he got Kearns, Lopez and Wagner for Royce Clayton, Brendan Harris, and Bill Bray, he thinks he can make a deal like that with any player on his roster.

This has not been a fun trade deadline day. I've actually been rooting against a deal ever since the Wilson stuff came out.

Agreed. This just scares me. 4 p.m. needs to get here fast.

Help me out here, as I seem to have memory block...wasn't Jack Wilson an All Star a couple of years ago? Didn't he have a great production year or am I thinking of someone else?

I'd be quite content to hear of us doing nothing. Our bullpen is not good...but Rodney and Zumaya should absolutely make it acceptable. Every team is going to have some weaknesses...if it is our bullpen...so be it.

Looks like things might have cooled on the Barmes front.

I'm not surprised the Barmes trade talk cooled; the Rockies think they're in the playoff hunt and probably won't be trading another of their MRs (plus Fuentes is injured). They're more interested in getting a catcher since Iannetta's been a big disappointment.

Turning the talk to non-Tiger trades which we can maybe root for, who's heard about this potential Jermaine Dye for Wily Mo Pena and Devern Hansack deal that's floating around? Facing Wily Mo Pena, the Greek God of Strikeouts, 19 times a year would be a boon for padding our starters' strikeout figures. 54 Ks in 137 ABs this year...that's disgusting. :classic: