Sign in to follow this  
JCBunga

1967 "Camera Day" at Tiger Stadium

(sorry if this is a double post...my system had a hiccup)

Remember "Camera Day" at Tiger Stadium?? Well, look what I found while rummaging through a closet:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/560067282qQBVkR

The pics were taken in August 1967 vs. Baltimore...used a Kodak Instamatic and as you can tell from the angle of the pics, I was a little stinker at the time.

If I find more, I'll post them.

If the link doesn't work, go to Webshots and search on BUNGAN8R.

Very cool....Thank you.

No netting behind the plate then? interesting. I also love the look of Tiger Stadium at that time. I miss that place....

Awesome pix! I assume those are 35mm slides? Do you know the history behind the 1940 pic? Taken by a relative?

:alien:

Great pics! Love to see the "green" Tiger Stadium. Most pics I come across are either b&w or already into the blue & orange days.

Very cool....Thank you.

No netting behind the plate then? interesting. I also love the look of Tiger Stadium at that time. I miss that place....

There was netting, but we were sitting in the field boxes just to the left of it...I remember you had to pay attention!! A left-handed hitter could send a killer foul ball at you!

Best seats in baseball...upper deck directly above these were great, too.

Awesome pix! I assume those are 35mm slides? Do you know the history behind the 1940 pic? Taken by a relative?

:alien:

Yes, my Dad's uncle was a camera freak and a baseball nut. There are more pics, but I haven't found the right box in the right closet yet :)

The camera was a Kodak Instamatic...the pics came back with 2 on each print--one about 3x3 and a smaller one. Egads, the memories.

Thanks for sharing. I remember those days. I used to get so excited when my Dad would take us down for them. I wish I would come across some of those old photos...........You gotta love those green seats.

Pure Gold! What's the excuse for all the empty seats? We went down to the wire with the Red Sox that year IIRC.

Great pictures! I'm glad you got one of Joe Sparma. '67 was his best year. Great to see the old scoreboard, too. I never could stand the 'jumbotron', or whatever they called it, which was installed in the 70s.

Thanks for sharing. Those were sweet. They should have never taken those green seats out...and the old-timey scoreboard was pretty awsome, too.

It's interesting to see McLain warming up along the third-base line. Nowadays, pitchers would always use the bullpen to warm up.

WOW, what a flood of memories. Thanks for sharing. I loved the green seats as well. It was awesome when the Tigers would rally and you could stand up just a little and slam the seat down to get a metal on metal sound. The place would just echo, and it sounded like a military brigade was marching into battle. I can still hear that echo in my mind.

The Freehan and Oyler shots, to name a couple, indicate that it was probably a decent-sized crowd, especially since the photos were taken before the game. Maybe that Kaline at-bat was late in the game after many had gone home. Although I wonder if the Tigers used to block off certain sections except for games like Opening Day and when really big crowds were expected - both the Kaline and the 1940 show the sections closest to the RF pole totally empty while a few sections over quite a few fans are bunched into right-center.

Edit: 14,000 for the Saturday afternoon game that weekend and 21,000 for the Sunday afternoon game, so crowds weren't big after all. But remember this was just a few weeks after the riots started and in general MLB attendance was nowhere near today's levels.

Why was Tiger Stadium repainted blue anyways?

I know the when (1977-78) and by whom (contracted by new owners the City of Detroit) but not really the way. Presumably to make the exterior and seats look spiffier (sorry for the inexact answer, but I'm not one of the Designer Guys so "spiffy" is the one and only catch-all word in my vocab to describe results of interior decorating), with the orange and blue plastic seats replacing the green wooden ones.

Question for those of you. Was it possible to ever see flyouts when sitting deep in the back rows of the lower deck? The deck above didn't block anything?

Question for those of you. Was it possible to ever see flyouts when sitting deep in the back rows of the lower deck? The deck above didn't block anything?

My Dad (whose birthday is today! Happy birthday Dad!) took me and my brothers to many, many games...I clearly remember that whenever we sat in lower deck left field and a fly ball came our way, you had to watch the fielder...which made it exciting. You'd see Willie or Northrup get on the ball and then start backing up and you'd wonder if they were ever going to stop before the ball came down...Northrup in particular liked to climb the fence and fire the ball back in to the infield.

We sat above 3rd base way in the back upper deck for the '71 All Star Game and we couldn't see Reggie Jackson's light tower home run until it bounced back down onto the field.

We lived in Dearborn and my Dad would say "Let's go to the game"...we'd hop on Michigan Avenue to 94 and we'd be at the Firestone dealer across from the stadium in 15 minutes and in our seats in 30.

Memories memories :)

I know the when (1977-78) and by whom (contracted by new owners the City of Detroit) but not really by whom. Presumably to make the exterior and seats look spiffier (sorry for the inexact answer, but I'm not one of the Designer Guys so "spiffy" is the one and only catch-all word in my vocab to describe results of interior decorating), with the orange and blue plastic seats replacing the green wooden ones.

Not only were they spiffy orange and blue but they were plastic. The green seats were wood and many of the seats on the aisles had Tigers designed into the metal frames.

The Freehan and Oyler shots, to name a couple, indicate that it was probably a decent-sized crowd, especially since the photos were taken before the game. Maybe that Kaline at-bat was late in the game after many had gone home. Although I wonder if the Tigers used to block off certain sections except for games like Opening Day and when really big crowds were expected - both the Kaline and the 1940 show the sections closest to the RF pole totally empty while a few sections over quite a few fans are bunched into right-center.

Edit: 14,000 for the Saturday afternoon game that weekend and 21,000 for the Sunday afternoon game, so crowds weren't big after all. But remember this was just a few weeks after the riots started and in general MLB attendance was nowhere near today's levels.

Yep, the riots were a couple weeks before, but I forgot about how they used to hold sections empty depending on the crowd size.

If you entered the stadium and saw people were sitting in right field you knew it was gonna be near 40,000.

My Dad (whose birthday is today! Happy birthday Dad!) took me and my brothers to many, many games...I clearly remember that whenever we sat in lower deck left field and a fly ball came our way, you had to watch the fielder...which made it exciting. You'd see Willie or Northrup get on the ball and then start backing up and you'd wonder if they were ever going to stop before the ball came down...Northrup in particular liked to climb the fence and fire the ball back in to the infield.

We lived in Dearborn and he'd say "Let's go to the game"...we'd hop on Michigan Avenue to 94 and we'd be at the Firestone dealer in 15 minutes and in our seats in 30.

Ah yes, Ron LeFlore was my memory though. It did force you to watch the fielder and not the ball, looking back it gave you a different perspective of the game.

Great pictures! I'm glad you got one of Joe Sparma. '67 was his best year. Great to see the old scoreboard, too. I never could stand the 'jumbotron', or whatever they called it, which was installed in the 70s.

Joe was great.

In that pick you can see what he looked like from a 7 year old's perspective looking up!

I remember my Dad was talking to Joe about his football days at Ohio State. I remember he was very polite and they laughed the whole time.

Why was Tiger Stadium repainted blue anyways?

Maybe they wanted the stadium to match the Tigers team colors.

I wonder...if they ever decide to redevelop Tiger Stadium and keep a portion of the structure or return it to it's Navin Field appearance, would they repaint everything green again. That would be cool.