MotownWebGuy

Shane Halter - "I definitely want out"

Here is part of an article from today's Free Press. Time to get rid of this guy!

Dave Dombrowski has completed his first significant shake-up of the Tigers' roster since becoming the team's president and general manager. He has tried to improve the club's woeful defense by constructing a new left side of the infield.

The latest move came Friday, when the Tigers promoted shortstop Ramon Santiago from Triple-A Toledo. Santiago made his debut Friday night, replacing Shane Halter as the everyday shortstop.

"I definitely want out," said Halter, who had an hour-long meeting with Dombrowski.

Dombrowski decided on the Santiago promotion Thursday, the same day he traded infielder-outfielder Jose Macias to Montreal for third baseman Chris Truby.

Dombrowski might try to make one or more major trades by the July 31 trading deadline. Several executives with other teams say Dombrowski has made it clear he will consider trading any player.

Truby, who also debuted Friday, becomes the everyday third baseman, replacing the combination of Macias and Craig Paquette that had filled in for injured Dean Palmer. Like Santiago, Truby is considered an above-average defensive player.

"We have to have some focus on the defense, especially up the middle, and especially in this park," Dombrowski said, referring to spacious Comerica Park.

Halter had made nine errors, the most by any shortstop in the American League.

"They don't have a category for good plays, and I feel I had a lot of those," Halter said. "A few of my errors came on do-or-die plays. I felt I played well."

"This blindsided me. I thought we'd have changes, but I didn't think they would come at shortstop."

Halter, 32, said Dombrowski didn't offer any hope he could trade him soon.

Manager Luis Pujols said Halter would return to his role of an oft-used utility player at several positions.

"I wouldn't mind being a utility player on another team," Halter said. "I don't think I should be a utility player on the Tigers, with the personnel we have here."

"I wouldn't mind being a utility player on another team," Halter said. "I don't think I should be a utility player on the Tigers, with the personnel we have here."

This ought to make it comfortable in that clubhouse....

So is Shane saying he's one of the better players in the clubhouse?

I hope he gets another chance at SS... then a runner on first steals second and spikes Shane! Maybe that'll shut him up.

From rolling them so much when I hear the latest Tiger 'superstar' whine about how unfair they have been treated. What about how badly we the fans have been treated the past 15 years? Shane, Higgy and the reafer twins (36 &14) really need to shut up and play ball. The closer to the mic they get, the stupider they get.

Hey SHANE!

You couldn't possibly want out as bad as we WANT YOU OUT!

Call my 11 year old son's baseball coach. Learn to field ground balls. Learn how to hit consistently. And most off, LEARN TO SHUT YOUR BARF HOLE.

Come back and we'll give you a shot.

On second thought, don't come back.

Now this is funny. A guy who is high on the list of suckdom wants out? Guess what, Shaney Baby, you're part of the problem!! I would not be one bit surprised if he is released within a week.

He makes one valid point about good plays....I have seen him make some great plays, but the errors aren't worth it. We have the worst fielding percentage in the majors.

B

O

O

H

O

O

Poor Shane Halter. Any other team he'd be riding pine, he's lucky the TIgers gave him as many ABs as he has had the last few years.

hey shane dont let the door hit you where god split you

It bothers me that he can't be professional enough to just accept it and keep his mouth shut. I, like DF, was/am rooting for him this year.

What would Ty Cobb do if one of his teammates said this? Or Kirk Gibson? Methinks Mr. Halter would be missing some teeth.

He's admitting his own futility as well as indicting the rest of the team. He's saying that anybody who plays SS over him is a bum.

Looks like those "halter is a cancer" in the clubhouse rumors may be true after all.

Send him to KC with his buddy Sweeney. Next time the teams fight, maybe it will be even.

That was a really arrogant, stupid thing to say. I'm still rooting for Halter, because he's still a Tiger, and I'm not even sure I agree with calling up Santiago, but Halter needs to quiet down.

As long as he's a Tiger, I'll root for him, too. But we better got our rootin' in cause I'm guessing he's on his way out the door, within a week to boot. Probably traded for a AA infielder with mild potential, aka, a youngish(24-25) Shane Halter.

Shane, Higgy and the reafer twins (36 &14) really need to shut up and play ball.

i have NEVER heard "#14" say anything negative about the team or wanting out. so i have no clue what that comment was supposed to mean. and what is with calling them "reefer twins?" have you ever actually seen them smoking it? you can't always go by what you hear.

Anderson was quoted in an article posted in this forum about the rain delay inconvenience:

"We watched 'Baseball Tonight,' and we saw that we were in a rain delay," Matt Anderson said. "That was our only source of information. Nobody told us anything. I guess that's the way it works. But I'm not the boss."

Doesn't sound like he's exactly pro management to me.

Also, I don't really care if he's still smokin', but he and a few others have a documented history of posession, thus the reefer twins reference.

maybe he just wasn't informed. the managers were informed what was going on. i know this because heather talked to them whenever she got a report from paul gross (meteorologist for channel 4). maybe he didn't go and find out what was going on. and just because he has a history of having from 4 or 5 years ago doesn't mean that he still does it.

actually, I believe it was the Reefer Triplets - 14, 36 and 25. What cracks me up is the guys at the World Crossing forum has nicknamed Matt Cheech.