Omaha Piston

Yi going back to China

Or maybe if the owners started doing the right thing rather than bowing to this type of garbage it would stop happening because players would know it doesn't fly in the NBA - you'll be at McDonald's or you'll play for the team that drafted you and is willing to pay you millions. Boo-freakin'-hoo.
I agree, but who's gonna be the guinea-pig? Who's gonna be the first team to say no and basically accept having wasted a top draft pick? Particularly in a sport where one player can make such a big difference. Theoretically it's great but it's a very rare thing. Minnesota Vikings didn't do it with Bryant McKinnie, Chargers didn't do it with Manning. Baseball is the only sport you sometimes see it but that's because one player is very very rarely that important in the scheme of things.

I agree, but who's gonna be the guinea-pig? Who's gonna be the first team to say no and basically accept having wasted a top draft pick? Particularly in a sport where one player can make such a big difference. Theoretically it's great but it's a very rare thing. Minnesota Vikings didn't do it with Bryant McKinnie, Chargers didn't do it with Manning. Baseball is the only sport you sometimes see it but that's because one player is very very rarely that important in the scheme of things.

I don't think you can compare the nfl and mlb, because they only get the players' rights for a year after they've been drafted. The kind of leverage needed doesn't exist in those sports.

I understand your point, and you're right that this situation is much like anything else in society: Nobody wants to be the first one to stick his neck out and take a stand for the right thing to do because he runs a major risk, even though he could be the catalyst for betterment.

I understand your point, and you're right that this situation is much like anything else in society: Nobody wants to be the first one to stick his neck out and take a stand for the right thing to do because he runs a major risk, even though he could be the catalyst for betterment.
Also...is it really necessarily the "right thing to do" in terms or right and wrong. I mean, sports is really the only industry in America where you don't have the right to choose your employer. I think most agree that this set up is necessary to keep competitive leagues, but it's certainly debatable.

Also...is it really necessarily the "right thing to do" in terms or right and wrong. I mean, sports is really the only industry in America where you don't have the right to choose your employer. I think most agree that this set up is necessary to keep competitive leagues, but it's certainly debatable.

Yes, it is the "right thing". Your employer is the NBA. If you choose not to play for NBA and instead choose to undermine it's system, there are other employers out there, such as the Chinese National Team, the Euro-League, and Home Depot.

NBA doesn't sign the paycheck. NBA doesn't make your organizational decisions. NBA is not your employer anymore then the FCC is your employer if you're a radio dj.

(understand I'm taking devil's advocate side...I agree he should just shut the F up and play ball)