Omaha Piston

Yi going back to China

It isnt just about marketing, they stated before the draft that there were no asian communities in Milwaukee.

This is all about marketing $$. Do you really believe that if Milwaukee had a "Chinatown" that he would be looking for a condo on Lake Michigan? I don't.

can they trade his rights, or does he have to sign to be tradeable?

They can trade his rights.

Gee and it just so happens that those are big markets...

...Asian influence, like Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia or the Bay Area.

I don't think it's necessarily stupid.

Even if Yi refuses to play for the Bucks.... it's my guess that he could become one of the hottest trade commodities on the market. They may be able to reap much more than the pick they used to get him... They would be banking on his continued development... if not here then with Olympics exposure...

But I'm just guessing.

Why? Milwaukee had their choice from a number of very similar players and took Yi. Now they have a player who has openly said he doesn't want to play for them. Milwaukee has little to no leverage with other teams if they want to trade for him.

I think there is little chance they get equal value back for Yi. Milwaukee screwed themselves.

This isn't much different then what other players have pulled before, John Elway for example. The only difference is that this player has more leverage in that he has an alternative league he can play in. I think it's not unlike the old NBA/ABA thing, or the NFL/AFL battles, except this decision isn't ruled by money, but rather by politics.

Milwaukee shouldn't have went for him in this draft, it wasn't like he clearly was the best player at #6. A NBA team such as Milwaukee can't just be blowing #6 draft picks on a player who didn't want to play for them, and who wasn't clearly better then other players on the board.

Milwaukee shouldn't have went for him in this draft, it wasn't like he clearly was the best player at #6. A NBA team such as Milwaukee can't just be blowing #6 draft picks on a player who didn't want to play for them, and who wasn't clearly better then other players on the board.

I totally agree. I wanted them to go point guard (like Joe D did). However this is who they picked and they own his rights for life. I don't think many people plan on buying a Yi Guyogong Tigers jersey anytime soon.

So, players are allowed to choose which team drafts them now...interesting. Why even have a draft at all if players can simply undermine it and decide to they want to go to Team X instead of Team Y? Let's just reverse the draft and rather than having teams draft players, we can just let the players draft the teams they want to go to... um, yeah, whatever.

This is total BS. You either play for the team that drafted you, or you don't play and that team should get a cap break so they can go out and sign someone else to lessen the impact. That way the league stands firm on the draft, punishes those who try to corrupt it, and helps out the teams who get shafted.

Eric Lindros did it to the Quebec Nordiques in 1991...I don't agree with it, but it happens

... Milwaukee has little to no leverage with other teams if they want to trade for him. ...

I think the ability to tell Yi: "You can NOT play in the NBA unless it is under OUR terms"... and Yi can NOT play for ANY other team in the NBA unless it meets Milwaukee's trade terms...

Is pretty strong leverage in a potential trade.

Eric Lindros did it to the Quebec Nordiques in 1991...

...and the NHL gods smacked him right in the mouth for it. I hope Yi is just as mediocre.

...The only difference is that this player has more leverage in that he has an alternative league he can play in. I think it's not unlike the old NBA/ABA thing, or the NFL/AFL battles, ...

I don't think NBA/China Basketball Association is "quite" the same as the NBA/ABA or NFL/AFL battles...

Just my 'pinion... :grin:

This is all about marketing $$. Do you really believe that if Milwaukee had a "Chinatown" that he would be looking for a condo on Lake Michigan? I don't.

I've heard from people that this is a very important thing for a good number of Chinese immigrants.

I've heard from people that this is a very important thing for a good number of Chinese immigrants.

I don't doubt this point at all. If I came here from China to start a new life for my family it would be pretty cool be be able to watch a homeland icon play in the NBA and maybe even buy a ticket to go see him live.

I don't remember Yao having all these issues. I still think they are a smokescreen for a larger market.

Do you think he would approve a trade to Memphis? New Orleans? Portland?

I think the ability to tell Yi: "You can NOT play in the NBA unless it is under OUR terms"... and Yi can NOT play for ANY other team in the NBA unless it meets Milwaukee's trade terms...

Is pretty strong leverage in a potential trade.

That's not leverage with other teams, that's leverage with Yi.

Other teams will say "I'm not giving you the equivalent of the #6 pick in the draft because you HAVE to trade him. AND you can only trade him to particular markets."

Other teams have the Bucks over a barrel. Again, they screwed themselves by taking a guy they knew didn't want to play for them.

I don't doubt this point at all. If I came here from China to start a new life for my family it would be pretty cool be be able to watch a homeland icon play in the NBA and maybe even buy a ticket to go see him live.

I don't remember Yao having all these issues. I still think they are a smokescreen for a larger market.

Maybe Portland, they have a big Chinatown. Here's a pic I took in Chinatown in Portland... hopefully you can read what that sign says... :laugh:

DSCF0202.jpg

I thought that I had read that Yi would accept a trade to Sacramento. Oh yeah, and Houston does have a large Asian influence.

where are all the equal rights people now? an asian guy refuses to live amongst other races, if that were you and me, that would be considered racist. This is not like the eli manning draft, this is about race. I dont think importing people who think this way is healthy. Tell him to come back when he grows up and realizes that his attitude wont work here.

It's NOT YI, it is the PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CHINA that is preventing him from playing with the Bucks.

It's NOT YI, it is the PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CHINA that is preventing him from playing with the Bucks.

Wrong.

I have to be honest and say I have no clue who is exactly the one pulling the strings and trying to force the trade. I have a hard time believing this 19 year old kid is really that upset about going to Milwaukee. He's probably just happy to be in the NBA. He has handlers, chinese national team reps, and agents hoping to make a lot of money off of him. So honestly, who knows. Still...niether positions really has any leverage in this case. No one's gonna give value for Yi as he's unproven, plays in a league where the national team just recently got routed by 28 points against the Celtics Summer League team, and has roundly stated he won't play for the Bucks. He, on the other hand, can't play for anyone except for the Bucks without a trade so he has no other NBA options.

Bottom line is Milwaukee has taken the lead in the worst run franchise in the NBA by drafting a 6-11 C/F, who had already come out saying he didn't want to play for them, a year after drafting a 6-11 C/F with the #1 pick. Why would they do that? Makes zero sense at all and personally I think they're getting what they deserve. Michael Redd must be psyched.

That's not leverage with other teams, that's leverage with Yi.

Other teams will say "I'm not giving you the equivalent of the #6 pick in the draft because you HAVE to trade him. AND you can only trade him to particular markets."...

Ewww!

That could be a good point...

:grin:

I think Buddha has a good point, but if this is about $$$, then I foresee Yi's people cracking first. After all, would you rather lose a bit by playing in Milwaukee, or all for not playing at all?

Don't trade him. Force him to play or not play for the team he was drafted by. This has always been my stance on this type of garbage and it always will be no matter who the player or what the sport. The draft is set up a certain way for a reason. If you don't want to play within the system, then don't - stay home and play for your national team, start your own league, or flip burgers at McDonald's, I don't care which.

I think that's the stance of most people who aren't running a sports team at risk of completely wasting a 6th round draft choice.

I don't think it's necessarily stupid.

Even if Yi refuses to play for the Bucks.... it's my guess that he could become one of the hottest trade commodities on the market. They may be able to reap much more than the pick they used to get him... They would be banking on his continued development... if not here then with Olympics exposure...

But I'm just guessing.

I just think its stupid on the part of the Bucks to draft him in the first place due to the fact they could have drafted someone else at #7 who could actually help them this year get better, rather than this reluctant dude from China who is attempting to hold them hostage! And there were several players available at that #7 slot who could turn out better than Yi, who has been so deceptive that his true age has a range of 5 or so years!

P.S. Shouldn't the age of an NBA prospect who teams wil be paying Millions to, have to disclose their true age??

Exactly. If Stern lets China get away with this by securing a trade, he's just weakening his league a little bit.

If I were a betting man, I would say this is what's going to happen!

I think that's the stance of most people who aren't running a sports team at risk of completely wasting a 6th round draft choice.

Or maybe if the owners started doing the right thing rather than bowing to this type of garbage it would stop happening because players would know it doesn't fly in the NBA - you'll be at McDonald's or you'll play for the team that drafted you and is willing to pay you millions. Boo-freakin'-hoo.