IdahoBert

Tigers one-half game shy of best MLB record

After the cold bats of April and Sheff's slow start, after all the injuries to Rogers, Bonderman, Rodney, Wilson, Robertson, Miner and Zumaya, after repeated bullpen meltdowns and all our complaining, the Tigers are one-half game behind the Red Sox for the best record in major league baseball. This is an amazing accomplishment and it is one of the signs of a championship team. Yeah, a lot can change but a lot has changed all year and they are still in the thick of the hunt (actually they are the hunted). I stand in awe of this team.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp

To the 2007 Detroit Tigers!

Ned20Devine.jpg

This season has been just as special as last year.

A little more frustrating ... but still a lot of fun.

It does seem more frustrating than last year (at this stage of the season). It's probably because I thought I was dreaming or in heaven last year while I expected more this year.

I am proud and grateful that with everything that has happened, we still find ourselves in 1st at the ASB.

I agree Bert, well said. It's a long season and there will many ups and downs. I think it's important to remember that when you step back and look at the season as a whole there is plenty to be positive about. Even with all the blemishes on the roster, this team continues to find ways to win.

Its been frusterating because of injuries and the pesky Indians. We had a 7 game lead over the Sox by this time I think.

On July 8th, 2006, we had a 3 game lead over the Sox.

This team was never tested by the kinds of adversity it has encountered this year. Last year was a blessed gift from out of the blue for the most part. This year is more dramatic in some ways, with the highs and the lows and the great expectations.

Last year was so special because it was somewhat surprising and because we had been so bad for so long.

This year we are playing like a contender is supposed to play. We are gritting it out, dealing with injuries and poor performances and still staying in the thick of things.

I feel that if we are able to tough it out and get to the playoffs, this will be a battle tested group who will be hungry to finish what we couldn't last year.

Great first half guys. Go Tigers!

I like the way they have handled adversity so far. They've run into more obstacles than they did last year, and as the season heads toward the stretch run, being able to overcome those obstacles will make them a better team.

I'm really excited to see what happens in the second half!

holy crap. I'm on break at work, and have just now seen the videos from the game.

Grandy's catch, Thames' homer. Jeez. What an impressive win today.

it's now time to start building that lead.

If we can get through the 2nd half without any more crippling injuries, this team could definitely win the division, maybe even by 3 or 4 games. I still think that DD will bring in another quality reliever, which will definitely help.

But they've got a big challenge right after the break with a red-hot Mariners team and going up against the Twins on the road.

holy crap. I'm on break at work, and have just now seen the videos from the game.

Grandy's catch, Thames' homer. Jeez. What an impressive win today.

it's now time to start building that lead.

18 of 21 on the road to start the second half including two west coast trips and an August schedule that includes 17 games vs the A's, Tribe, and Yanks. I'd say if they are within three of first place on September first they'll win the Central since the September schedule evens out.

I doubt they'll pull away from the Tribe. I think this is a race that will be won in September.

18 of 21 on the road to start the second half including two west coast trips and an August schedule that includes 17 games vs the A's, Tribe, and Yanks. I'd say if they are within three of first place on September first they'll win the Central since the September schedule evens out.

I doubt they'll pull away from the Tribe. I think this is a race that will be won in September.

We are actually better on the road than at home, so that part doesn't bother me all that much. The A's have great pitching as usual, but so does Boston, supposedly. Sure the Tribe will be tough, but the Yankees? Come on, they aren't that great a team this year. They have the talent to do some damage, but i think we have the better TEAM. I think the 8 games in 7 days against the Sux and Halos in late July tells us more about this team than the two series' against the Yanks.

I agree that the division won't be won until September though.

We're fortunate to be in first place with the injuries and the struggles of Monroe and the bullpen. Its been a fun half season though. Lots of good games--both performance wise and close games. I think we're in good shape for the second half. Kenny, Bonderman, Verlander and Miller all look good. Durbin, Miner, and Capellan have helped stabilize the pen. Zoom could be back next month too. Plus Perez is suspended.

^hahah that prety much covered everything...including the ending sentence. what a great first half!

What a great first half. The encouraging part to me is that the Tigers have lots of upside for the second half. As people return from the DL, this team will get better. I can't wait to see what happens.

We are actually better on the road than at home, so that part doesn't bother me all that much. The A's have great pitching as usual, but so does Boston, supposedly. Sure the Tribe will be tough, but the Yankees? Come on, they aren't that great a team this year. They have the talent to do some damage, but i think we have the better TEAM. I think the 8 games in 7 days against the Sux and Halos in late July tells us more about this team than the two series' against the Yanks.

I agree that the division won't be won until September though.

That's the funny thing about this team and this game. The Tigers sweep the Red Sox but lose 2 of 3 to both Texas and Minnesota. There is no telling what will happen in that long road trip, regardless of the record of their opponents. I also don't think you can learn anything more from 8 games that you didn't already know after 100+ games.

We're fortunate to be in first place with the injuries and the struggles of Monroe and the bullpen. Its been a fun half season though. Lots of good games--both performance wise and close games. I think we're in good shape for the second half. Kenny, Bonderman, Verlander and Miller all look good. Durbin, Miner, and Capellan have helped stabilize the pen. Zoom could be back next month too. Plus Perez is suspended.

I'd argue that if we hadn't had so many injuries, we'd be about where we were last year. Chew on this, despite the addition of Matsuzaka, Okajima, Pedroia and Drew, the BoSox have exactly the same number of wins as last year, the main difference is that the rest of the AL has been playing at a lower level this year. I am still not that concerned about the Indians, I still think they've got a reality check coming in the second half. Chicago? Stick a fork in 'em. Minny, maybe but thier pitching is a huge concern. I really like our chances in the second half!

I'd argue that if we hadn't had so many injuries, we'd be about where we were last year. Chew on this, despite the addition of Matsuzaka, Okajima, Pedroia and Drew, the BoSox have exactly the same number of wins as last year, the main difference is that the rest of the AL has been playing at a lower level this year. I am still not that concerned about the Indians, I still think they've got a reality check coming in the second half. Chicago? Stick a fork in 'em. Minny, maybe but thier pitching is a huge concern. I really like our chances in the second half!

Interesting point. The thing is though, with the Tigers injury set up.....if we had Rogers all season, we wouldnt have had Durbin in the rotation, so I dont know how it would have worked out with him in the mop up role. I doubt we'd all have the confidence in him that we have developed this year. Without injuries to Zoom and Rodney, we wouldnt have acquired Capellan and McBride, we wouldnt have called up Byrdak and Seay, and we wouldnt have called up Andrew Miller. So the pen would be Grilli, Durbin, Rodney, Zoom, Jones, Ledezma and Mesa/Seay/Lopez/Miner. And based on what we have seen this year from most of them, that isnt a great pen either.

So I'm not real convinced that we'd be a whole lot better. But we would be better. And do we know that Vance would have been able to play as well as Rabelo has this year? The play by Thames, Infante and Rabelo to this point has been a big pick up with the nagging injuries to Polanco, Guillen and Pudge.

So basically, I agree with you for the most part.

The Tigers have had 22 pitchers throw for them this year. They had 19 during all of last season.

It's great to see this season progressing as it had. No matter what there are going to be ups and downs with our teams, but after all the problems this year and to now on the last day before the AllStar Break we're back alone #1 is amazing!

I am still not that concerned about the Indians, I still think they've got a reality check coming in the second half.

I don't see any real evidence showing that Cleveland is going to slow down. Hafner hasn't even heated up yet. And I don't think anyone on their team is really playing over their heads at this point. I think we are the better team, but I think this division will be a dogfight to the end.

Only problem is if Vmart goes out for a while, what's the update after leaving yesterday?