FloridaTigers

Are stirrups making a comeback?

433928325_639839a064_o.jpg

Jose Cruz Jr wears real oldschool stirrups. I hadn't noticed this until last night. This is awesome. I remember back in the mid 90's, in t-ball, our socks were semi-stirrups. We had the black line on the side and the rest of the sock was white. It was cool. Of course, over the years the socks got solid colored and pants got baggier, but I always kept my socks high. In my last year of ball, I actually cut some socks and made home-made stirrups.

I see more and more ballplayers lately using the small stirrups. I think Zito uses em, but they're common all over the minor leagues. I'm glad the league banned tying your pants to the shoe. That was so stupid. Inge and Grandy need to get on the stirrup train.

those aren't real old school stirrups. Those are 60s, 70's, and 80's stirrups.

I'm not a fan of the stirups but like the knee high pants

Somebody alert Uni Watch.

Oh they know. Jose Cruz Jr. is a hero over there lately. Personally, I don't care if it's stir-ups or just high socks just so long as they aren't wearing the "pajama bottoms." Ballplayers just look wrong with their pants at their ankles. It'd be like tucked in hockey sweaters, oh wait they do that now, too. What ever happened to the proper look in sports...

They are more in vogue than mullets.

Jose Cruz Jr has always worn his like that - I think he wants to look like his dad.

What exactly was the practical aspect of wearing stirrups?

When I played baseball, I could never get mine to stay taut. They always bunched up.

I'm not a big fan of the stirrups. They seem tacky to me. While id rather thwy do that then just have the pants at their ankles, I just like the plain sock look better.

What exactly was the practical aspect of wearing stirrups?

When I played baseball, I could never get mine to stay taut. They always bunched up.

Agreed. I couldn't stand wearing the stirrups. However, I think they look good.

I like how Granderson wears the knee high socks.

I've hated stirrups ever since I took a header running down the 3B line on my traveling team 20 years ago.

The day will come when a player has his pants hanging down off of his arse.